Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Guys Are On This App

Been a little ruff. I'm moving really well she having a little more trouble. She had a previous hernia so they had to put in extra stitches. Had some bm issues. Today we got bumped up-to puréed. Today is a good day.????

Edited by Bigdogdad

I'm new to this forum. My gastric bypass surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, 12/15/14, at 245pm. I'm a 46 yr old guy who has a BMI Of 62 and my heaviest weight was 446 lbs. I presently weigh 405 lbs. I'm both nervous and very excited at the same time as I've never had any type of surgery but I cannot wait to get my life back. My surgeon think I have 189 lbs of excess weight to lose to make goal. I greatly appreciate those folks who have already gone thru WLS posting their experiences as they are extremely helpful in preparing for this life changing event.

I'm new to this forum. My gastric bypass surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, 12/15/14, at 245pm. I'm a 46 yr old guy who has a BMI Of 62 and my heaviest weight was 446 lbs. I presently weigh 405 lbs. I'm both nervous and very excited at the same time as I've never had any type of surgery but I cannot wait to get my life back. My surgeon think I have 189 lbs of excess weight to lose to make goal. I greatly appreciate those folks who have already gone thru WLS posting their experiences as they are extremely helpful in preparing for this life changing event.

Good luck ILO! I'm scheduled for Thursday. I'm 36 with similar weights as yourself. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey guys

I'm 1 month post op and I was in the same boat. 6ft 1 in 425 lbs at my highest in September. Sleeved on November 24th. I'm down 55 lbs total so far. 6 lbs diet before program, 20 lbs liquid diet pre op and 29 lbs post op. It's tough the first couple days of the liquid diet and first couple days post op but it's been worth it for me so far.

Work with the surgeon, NUT and the sleeve and you'll do great.

Looking forward to the new us.

Just had my surgery today and feeling pretty good for having my insides rearranged. The worst parts are the dry mouth and the catheter, which makes me feel like I have to pee. Everyone here at Duke Regional is fantastic! God has opened the door to a new chapter of my life, and thanks to Him I know I'll have a speedy recovery.

What are your stories guys? Why WLS?

I'm nearly 58, 5' 9", and 345. I've been diabetic since Feb 1975 with multiple complications over the years. I've been overweight as far back as I can recall. I remember my 6th grade gym teacher bellowing out my weight (169) during some kind of 'assessment' we did back then. To this day, given the chance, I'd shoot the insensitive SOB.

My body is sending the signals that it's just not going to tolerate much more of the abuse. Pain, pain, pain, and very limited mobility. Getting off the couch takes 3-4 'rocks' to gather momentum. Going up the 7 steps from my apartment to ground level is all I can manage and I often have to stop at the top to catch my breath. I'm a pilot and have my own plane and can barely, barely get out of it. It's a two-seater and I absolutely can never, ever take anyone along because I'm TWO people already. Many other planes that I'd like to fly in along with friends I can't get into at all. Others simply don't have the 'oomph' to lift someone my size at all! There's more, but you get the idea.

My ex-wife and daughter both had the RNY procedure with great success. My daughter is maintaining a 180 pound weight loss after seven years. So I wasn't even interested in considering sleeve or band. Also, my endocrinologist tells me the surgery is often a virtual cure for diabetes. (When I told her I was going to do this, she nearly did handstands around the office! I haven't been an easy patient.)

So that's why. What I don't understand myself is Why Now?

I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that fear is starting to creep into my head. Can I do the pre-op? Can I handle the pain post-op? What if they can't do the laparoscopic procedure and I wake up with the 'saw the lady in half' version? Can I get back to work on the date I've committed to? Will they fire me if I don't/can't? Can I afford not to (I'm a contractor and only get paid when I work)? Will I wind up looking like a reject from a bad horror flick, or just a basset hound?

I need that Little Voice to SHUT UP!

-K

Hey kflackler, I'm 61 and had the big RNY last August. Yeah, I can see why you would worry, but like my doctor said all surgery has its risk. I was one that even had problems but would I do it again, hell yeah. Do it and enjoy life again.

Hey Ken. I know how you feel, I think us guys attach a little more stigma to having surgery I know I did. Why can't I just be tough enough to lose weight on my own. But now, six weeks out, I could not be happier with my decision. Yeah there's a little pain and some recovery but it passes. I feel great now and I know you will too.

I'm nearly 58, 5' 9", and 345. I've been diabetic since Feb 1975 with multiple complications over the years. I've been overweight as far back as I can recall. I remember my 6th grade gym teacher bellowing out my weight (169) during some kind of 'assessment' we did back then. To this day, given the chance, I'd shoot the insensitive SOB.

My body is sending the signals that it's just not going to tolerate much more of the abuse. Pain, pain, pain, and very limited mobility. Getting off the couch takes 3-4 'rocks' to gather momentum. Going up the 7 steps from my apartment to ground level is all I can manage and I often have to stop at the top to catch my breath. I'm a pilot and have my own plane and can barely, barely get out of it. It's a two-seater and I absolutely can never, ever take anyone along because I'm TWO people already. Many other planes that I'd like to fly in along with friends I can't get into at all. Others simply don't have the 'oomph' to lift someone my size at all! There's more, but you get the idea.

My ex-wife and daughter both had the RNY procedure with great success. My daughter is maintaining a 180 pound weight loss after seven years. So I wasn't even interested in considering sleeve or band. Also, my endocrinologist tells me the surgery is often a virtual cure for diabetes. (When I told her I was going to do this, she nearly did handstands around the office! I haven't been an easy patient.)

So that's why. What I don't understand myself is Why Now?

I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that fear is starting to creep into my head. Can I do the pre-op? Can I handle the pain post-op? What if they can't do the laparoscopic procedure and I wake up with the 'saw the lady in half' version? Can I get back to work on the date I've committed to? Will they fire me if I don't/can't? Can I afford not to (I'm a contractor and only get paid when I work)? Will I wind up looking like a reject from a bad horror flick, or just a basset hound?

I need that Little Voice to SHUT UP!

-K

Don't listen to that little voice. You can do the pre-op, and the pain post-op is manageable. It requires some changes, but they will pass. I'm 36, and I know what you mean about body aches and pains. I was worried that they weren't going to be able to do laparoscopic on me either, but they were able to and everything went very well. I would say to plan for at least a month off of work, maybe more. FMLA should protect your job status while out on medical leave.

I'm currently 10 days post-op, and the worst part of it has been gas pains and not being able to sleep on my stomach. It's been hurting my hips to sleep directly on my side, so I can only sleep for a few hours at a time. I tried sleeping in our recliner but had the same results. I've been taking the prescription gas pills (chewable) from the hospital and they have helped a lot. Yesterday and today I was able to go out for 30 minute walks, but I built up to it by walking around in the house the past week. I'm really looking forward to being cleared to eat soft foods on Thursday and I'll be glad when the pain is gone so I can sleep normally. I haven't experienced any nausea or other complications. The wounds from the procedure are almost healed up but I'm still pretty sore on the inside. In all, not too bad.

I received a good number of replies to my original post, some on the forum and some in email. To all who reached out, thank you, very sincerely. Your experiences and advice are all helping me weather the internal storm that's raging just now. I start the pre-op diet on Wednesday and that of course also begins the 14 day countdown to Der Tag.

♪Accentuate the positive!♫

-Ken

Hi everyone, Newbie here, just had op on 3rd Jan. 3 days in hospital I can drink 2l of Water. Went home on day 3. 2l of water until day 4. Day 5 I had foamies and vomiting even by drinking 100ml. Not sure why this is happening as I was ok for 4 days.

Hi everyone, Newbie here, just had op on 3rd Jan. 3 days in hospital I can drink 2l of Water. Went home on day 3. 2l of water until day 4. Day 5 I had foamies and vomiting even by drinking 100ml. Not sure why this is happening as I was ok for 4 days.

On 6/28/2012 at 11:10 PM, aarval said:

What are your stories guys? Why WLS?

I am coming off of the worst year of my life in terms of physical health. In 2017 I was hospitalized for a week with diabetic ketoacidosis. It literally took my care team 7 days to get my blood sugar down from the high 800s to the 200s. Then I found I had sleep apnea and needed to adjust to sleeping with a machine. Finally, at peak misery, I attended a weigh loss surgery information session in September of 2017. It took all of self control not to break down in tears during the whole shebang. I came to WLS at the urgence of my primary care and endocrinologist. Traditional diet and exercise had not worked in the past and I realized that attempting to do the same thing and expecting different results is madness. Now in February, I am finally going to do it and maybe make the second half of my life the best years.

22 hours ago, NazX said:

Hi everyone, Newbie here, just had op on 3rd Jan. 3 days in hospital I can drink 2l of Water. Went home on day 3. 2l of Water until day 4. Day 5 I had foamies and vomiting even by drinking 100ml. Not sure why this is happening as I was ok for 4 days.

What are the foamies?