Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Tell People?

I'm not sure what I want to tell people about getting surgery, or why I lost weight. I'm the kind of person who is really private, and wouldn't want to discuss my weightloss no matter how it happens. I don't want to lie, but I don't want to discuss this with people. What have you done? Especially if privacy is important to you.

I didn't have surgery yet. I don't have a problem telling people but in your case it's nobody's business how you lost it. I would just say I'm watching what I eat and exercising. Which is the truth. Good luck.

I would probably just tell people who ask, " I watched what I ate and exercised". That's all true and there is no need to reveal what you don't want people to know. I really dislike nosy people. Hope that helps.

My surgery is on the 25th of April, and only a tiny handful of very close friends know. I've found that people tend to try and tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Like you were asking them to "save" you from the choice you made. I'm sure that the question will arise when I am smaller than I have been in 13 years, I guess at this point in the game I'm just trying to deal with the changes that are taking place right now. So I guess for me, I'm keeping quiet about it. And if anyone asked in the future I'll tell them " I lost it the same way anyone loses weight. Heck for people who think this is the easy way out, and ive heard it plenty.... Surgery is never easy! Watching people eat the things you can almost feel and taste while you sip something that is thick enough to fill the cracks in a wall! If they think that is easy, then they can do it.

My surgery is on the 25th of April' date=' and only a tiny handful of very close friends know. I've found that people tend to try and tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Like you were asking them to "save" you from the choice you made. I'm sure that the question will arise when I am smaller than I have been in 13 years, I guess at this point in the game I'm just trying to deal with the changes that are taking place right now. So I guess for me, I'm keeping quiet about it. And if anyone asked in the future I'll tell them " I lost it the same way anyone loses weight. Heck for people who think this is the easy way out, and ive heard it plenty.... Surgery is never easy! Watching people eat the things you can almost feel and taste while you sip something that is thick enough to fill the cracks in a wall! If they think that is easy, then they can do it.[/quote']

I love your comment that's why I didn't tell many either. I've been overweight most of mt adult life. I will soon be 46. Also I don't have low self esteem. I'm not concerned of what people think of me. I'm doing this for me and no one else.

Most people tell you not to do it, bc they don't have the balls of steel to do.it themselves!! My friends have said, you are taking the easy way out, Barbie.

Sent from my ANDROID using RNYTalk

I told people....too many people I think. I don't know I kind of wish I hadn't now...because people definitely do think your taking the easy way out that are not going through it themselves or someone who is skinny that says why don't u just work out a little more....they don't get it and never will. I've had a pretty good support system but I do have this one person that my family is close to and her husband had lap band and he's been sick quite a bit and all she can tell me is negative stuff and how im going to have to completely change my lifestyle like I don't already know that. And not everyone has the same experiences and I've said to her several times well im having a diff. Surgery....which is simliar but still not exactly the same. Its frustrating to me because back in highschool I didn't always make the best decisions ( im 22 now) and people that are close to me still try to ...almost baby me a little bit and make my decisions for me bc they think I will not make a good one or they know what's best for me better than I do. I just want to do this and do it for myself....not anyone else. So I guess my answer to ur question is that I wish I wouldn't have told so many people that I am going to be getting this done...even though I am a very outspoken and open person. Goodluck with everything.

Sent from my Verizon DROID3 using RNYTalk

Definitely not the easy way out.

In most situations I tell it like it is. The truth is usually best. In fact,I have been shocked at how supportive people have been. However, I was speaking to

someone recently and felt the situation was best left vague. I simply said I had abdominal surgery and that seemed to be enough. Just go with what makes YOU feel comfortable. In reality, it is nobody's business but your own.

Oh dang! Just sent emails to family and friends. And just a few co-workers the other day...didn't know abt this site yet. So far people hv bn pretty supportive...I'll find out tomorrow about co workers! There hv bn about 4 or 5 people at work that hv had the surgery and all are doing great! I hv heard some negative comments from others for some of those tht hv had the surgery...if I hear it when I hv mine...I will just say...hmmm how would you suggest I lose 130 some lbs and keep it all off!? Don't judge me!!then will just tell them I will pray for their attitudes! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I also sent an email out to friends and family to let them know. In my opinion, you SHOULDN'T be ashamed of your decision. This was/is a MAJOR life changing event in your life, it was not an easy decision to make. Be proud of the fact you are taking charge of your life and giving yourself the opportunity for a better quality of life! Stand tall, keep your head high, you will be amazed once you start telling people just how many others have had the surgery! You will need all the support you can get- trust me I'm speaking from experience! Good luck and please remember be proud of your decision!!

Just to add to my previous comment...if people say negative things to you/about you- you don't need them in your life! Look at it as a positive step your taking. It takes a lot of courage- do not be ashamed of it :)

I wish I'd never told my dad or step mom. Lol. Or my personal trainer. Lol. Bc they all look down on me, like im 5 yrs old, being accused of doing something bad. The fist thing my step mom said was, omg!! That surgery is dangerous! You will probably die, bc of your diabetes.

Sent from my ANDROID using RNYTalk

I'm really sorry to hear that. Does your step mother know that this surgery is the #1 way to get rid of diabetes!? If not maybe you should google it and send her the link!! We are all here for you !!