Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got up early to go to the cardiologist for my clearance.

Back story: I have a past history of ovarian and breast cancer. I finished my 3rd round of chemo this past may. I decided in 2010 to have WLS but with my recurrent cancer it was not to be...each time I thought I can do it now...cancer re-occurred. This last time I was on a GOG study and it seems to have definitely worked in my favor. Elated, I went to my oncologist and told him I wanted the weight loss surgery..he agreed it was a good idea because of the contributing factor of obesity to female cancers and my history of HBP. He gave me a small window to get it approved and done. He spoke to the WLS and they both agreed, I should have no issues with the surgery and both recommended the Gastric Sleeve as the best option. This was all in August.

Okay fast forward: I completed all my test with flying colors. The GI Series, Chest X-ray and Lab Work showed unremarkable results and no anomalies. My ECG showed "borderline" but I wasn't worried because my oncologist had already ordered and received my CT Scan results of my chest/abdomen/pelvis (taken a week after) and it showed unremarkable results too..Heart was healthy, no artery Calcium, clear lungs, spleen, liver, stomach, intestines all in remarkable order and everything was within normal limits. AS for the ECG, I went to a cardiologist associated with the hospital for further study because I need cardiac clearance for the WLS.

Anyway, I saw the cardiologist and did another ECG that came back borderline so he wanted to do a stress test, the stress test he said was okay, but he wanted to investigate further because a little dip on the machine when I'm at max capacity exercising which is common among women, but better safe than sorry. I was game, still have plenty of time before I see WLS again. So then an echocardiogram was done, my EF Rate was 65%, no significant blockages, valves are good, what little anomalies there are attributed to long term HBP issues and current medications. Sooo, even that was not good enough, he wanted a Nuclear Stress Test...okay..still game.. had that last week, results show nothing significantly abnormal--report also mention HBP effects on regurgitation, blah blah blah (which btw will be cured with weight loss).

This morning, I go to his office expecting to receive my cardiac clearance and guess what? He now wants to do a Cardiac Catherization...for what MAY BE blockage, no way to tell, not sure, we need to go in and check.. My reasoning is WHY? What makes you think I have something wrong with my heart. I have no symptoms, no pain, no SOH, I finished both Stress Tests easily, there is no familial history of heart disease, heart attacks or blockages. I immediately refuse and he said well think about, I wouldn't want you to have a heart attack..and I said am I at risk and he said, we all are..factors matter, could be 10 yrs from now..or tomorrow..can't say. You can lose weight the normal way in the meantime. Then he says, well let's just get you set up for it..because you can't have your surgery w/o my approval. Again, I said no, and he said why? At that point I was in tears because I have an appt with the surgeon in two days and all I needed was the clearance.

Needless to say, I asked for a copy of my Nuclear Stress report (he only gave me one page of it). Right then I decided to get another opinion. So I go to all the various places and get copies of my studies. On my way into the hospital I ran into a young lady I met at my seminar in July who accompanied her sister, she already had the Sleeve done. Must be fate. She told me she had an A-Fib and her cardiologist still cleared her. She said she worked for the hospital and they are famous for running up the tab in the cardiology department. I've read such too..a great deal of catherizations are completely unncessary. So I called up her Cardiologist, he didn't have any openings for a month(bummer), but when I explained my situation further the receptionist put the R.N. on the phone, I gave her a bit more detail and told her who recommended me, and actually said she could squeeze me in this week but at a location further away. Hey fine by me!! It will be after my last NUT appt and after I see the surgeon, but at least its this week.

I knew that doctor was a money grabber. I said it 3 weeks ago. I have a platinum insurance plan and he intends to milk it dry. Well, I'm done..and I'm switching cardiologists! Wish me luck. I've been crying tears of frustration intermittently all day...even called my mom when I walked out of his office and balled like a baby because I'm really ready and want this badly for my health! He just doesn't seem to get it.

Okay I've vented...yes I'm frustrated...but I'm determined. So surgery may or not be in two weeks or even this month... but I'm still hoping. Especially since my test are all showing okay...depends on this new cardiologist. Finger Crossed. Tears finally dry.

Thanks for reading my novel .... :-)

Good luck

Thank you...Montereygrl.. very much.

You should be proud of yourself! You stood up for yourself and worked out another way to get approval. Way to go!

Thank you Pickleface... appreciate it.

I'm truly hoping a change in cardiologist will be for the better. I was so defeated today when I left his office.. Highly unusual for me because I'm generally upbeat and happy all the time.

My mother told me to pick myself up and find another path... who knew I would run into one while gathering my reports.

Fate. I say.

You should be proud of yourself! You stood up for yourself and worked out another way to get approval. Way to go!

Thanks!! More than one way to escape a greedy cardiologist..

I let you guys know how it pans out Thursday.

I suspect the cardiologist doesn't approve of the Gastric Sleeve.

He now wants to do a Cardiac Catherization...for what MAY BE blockage' date=' no way to tell, not sure, we need to go in and check.. My reasoning is WHY? What makes you think I have something wrong with my heart. I have no symptoms, no pain, no SOH, I finished both Stress Tests easily, there is no familial history of heart disease, heart attacks or blockages. I immediately refuse and he said well think about, I wouldn't want you to have a heart attack..and I said am I at risk and he said, we all are.. I've read such too..a great deal of catherizations are completely unncessary.[/quote']

I don't mean to be a Debbie downer..but cardiac caths do save lives...my boyfriend had one and it detected major blockage..they did a stent and hee is with me because of it..Now from the perspective of your weight loss journey..finding out about heart disease beforehand is a good thing. You would not want to undergo this major surgery,lose all of the weight you want to lose.....just to wake up one day and have a full blown heart attack. ( heart disease is not synonymous to being heavy) NOW , Im not saying don't get a second opinion..just don't let your desire to have this surgery ( which is just one part of your desire to regain your health) over take the need to make sure your health is at it's optimal best leading into it. I wish you the best of success with ALL things related to your goal to lose weight & become your healthy best self... Do a whoo-sahhh and take a deep breath and tackle this and then you will be on your way to getting sleeved.

Good for you for seeking a second opinion when you have doubts. I wish you the best!

My primary care doctor took me thru the ringer as well. I finally had to call the insurance company on him to get him to release my medical records to the surgeon. It was the worst.....stay positive and know that it will happen. Good luck.

Before I even got to the end of your post I was screaming to get a different cardiologist and get a second opinion but then I got to that point in you post and sighed a huge sigh of relief that you already were.

While I agree that there are times that a cardiac cath is necessary and can save lives (I am a former cardiac nurse that worked on a post-op floor for cardiac caths and took care of patients with other cardiac symptoms) you don't fit the criteria the cardiologist I worked with would just want to cath a person for especially with all the other tests he ran unless it's something new they started doing in the past few years since I left that specialty area. The biggest red flag for me was the fact he didn't want to give you your test results. Kind of shady in my opinion. Good luck with the new cardiologist don't let the one bad apple ruin the bunch.

I don't mean to be a Debbie downer..but cardiac caths do save lives...my boyfriend had one and it detected major blockage..they did a stent and hee is with me because of it..Now from the perspective of your weight loss journey..finding out about heart disease beforehand is a good thing. You would not want to undergo this major surgery,lose all of the weight you want to lose.....just to wake up one day and have a full blown heart attack. ( heart disease is not synonymous to being heavy) NOW , Im not saying don't get a second opinion..just don't let your desire to have this surgery ( which is just one part of your desire to regain your health) over take the need to make sure your health is at it's optimal best leading into it. I wish you the best of success with ALL things related to your goal to lose weight & become your healthy best self... Do a whoo-sahhh and take a deep breath and tackle this and then you will be on your way to getting sleeved.

Thank you. Glad the Cath saved your boyfriend's life. I'm sure it is quite necessary for many. But research has found there are many done unnecessarily when other test are now available that are not as invasive.

in my case, I don't have any symptoms or problems with my heart..and truthfully, I don't trust this doctor. He just comes off like Slick Willie... I'll get a second opinion and go from there..but what I will not be doing is returning to card 1 for anything.

Thanks again.

My primary care doctor took me thru the ringer as well. I finally had to call the insurance company on him to get him to release my medical records to the surgeon. It was the worst.....stay positive and know that it will happen. Good luck.

lol well I hope you switched PCP's... I couldn't believe the cardiologist only gave me the one page of my Nuclear Stress Test and Echo..and said the first pages were just measurements and medical jargon, etc and not necessary for my records. Huh? I need them for my 2nd opinion dude. Some doctor's are just unreal. I think he was offended when I said no..and asked for copies of my test and files.

Before I even got to the end of your post I was screaming to get a different cardiologist and get a second opinion but then I got to that point in you post and sighed a huge sigh of relief that you already were.

While I agree that there are times that a cardiac cath is necessary and can save lives (I am a former cardiac nurse that worked on a post-op floor for cardiac caths and took care of patients with other cardiac symptoms) you don't fit the criteria the cardiologist I worked with would just want to cath a person for especially with all the other tests he ran unless it's something new they started doing in the past few years since I left that specialty area. The biggest red flag for me was the fact he didn't want to give you your test results. Kind of shady in my opinion. Good luck with the new cardiologist don't let the one bad apple ruin the bunch.

THANK YOU...THANK YOU.

He really came off as Slick Willie. Even when I asked about more non-invasive testing like CT of the Heart, he said he didn't want to expose me to the radiation because of my past history. Huh? I told him, I get a CT Scan every three months and have been for some time..with no negative impact because as my oncologist explained to me, it's a very small amount that is administered and has been proven quite safe. His comment after that...I just don't want to expose you to it..

One good thing about this new cardiologist the young lady recommended to me is that they are big on non-invasive studies...I like that.. I've been probed, poked, sliced and diced enough for necessary surgeries..so I'm not quick to leap to say...yes stick some wires in my heart ...at your earliest convenience.

lol well I hope you switched PCP's... I couldn't believe the cardiologist only gave me the one page of my Nuclear Stress Test and Echo..and said the first pages were just measurements and medical jargon' date=' etc and not necessary for my records. Huh? I need them for my 2nd opinion dude. Some doctor's are just unreal. I think he was offended when I said no..and asked for copies of my test and files.[/quote']

That really stinks of that dr to act that unprofessional. Legally, if you request your records in writing, he has to give them to you. The new dr will most likely fax something over after you've signed it, forcing the bad dr to give them all over.

Hope it gets better for you!