Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Way behind the 8 ball

I used to be on here all the time - back when I first had my surgery and a few months post op. I've slowly started coming back due to the realization that I haven't lost anything for at least 5 months and it's because I haven't been in the game at all. I am seeing posts from people that had surgery around the same time as me or much later, that weighed more than me at date of surgery, and they have reached far and beyond my wildest expectations for myself. I just wanted to get below 200 and if I had stayed on plan, I would've accomplished this. The thing is, I can eat almost exactly like I used to and I do feel hunger and I am addicted to sugar/carbs. It is nothing for me to put away a donut and not have a single feeling of fullness. This has been the case for a while now and I know that the same obstacles that prevented weight loss for me prior to surgery still exist post surgery - mostly head hunger and telling myself that I will "get back on it" tomorrow. It's a terrible cycle that perpetuates itself over and over as I give in to a craving or deceive myself into thinking that it's ok because I did lose "some of the weight". I just realized that the only goal I set for myself was to get below 200 but maybe breaking it down might make things a little more doable and I will feel less like a failure. To those who have accomplished their goals, great work and let me know if you have any tricks or tips that you could share. For those who might be in the same boat as me, I feel your pain and maybe it's time today to do something about it. Yesterday was yesterday and tomorrow is a long way off so for now, I am focusing on my actions today.

The vets forum is JAM PACKED with ideas, tips and support!

What I want to say first isn't advice about losing weight, but it is more about the mental part of this. I think that surgical technique has helped some of us more then others. I discussed this with my surgeon at my 18 month. He was giving me all the credit BUT also mentioned that with band to sleeve revisions like me they sometimes cannot get a good tight pouch (that is still safe and not so small you have constant reflux) and he felt that in my case, we got a little lucky there.

I also want to say that losing and maintaining weight loss for women over 40, especially post menopause is a whole different ballgame then for some others.

Finally, there is this other... sort of wildcard... like that right combination of everything coming together. I was so determined to make goal, but, I also won the getting an amazing NUT to work with lottery, supportive friends, finding this bulletin board... really a bunch of things. I more or less turned a year of my life over to losing weight and now that I am maintaining, I am making my weight and health a very very high priority. I wasn't able to do that when I was banded. i can bash the lapband as being the medival torture device that it was, but, in truth, I also didn't do as well with "my part of the bargain".

So, don't kick yourself too hard, you can STILL do this. Realize that we all have our own journey and any one of us could have better or worse results. Even though I feel AMAZINGLY successful, I still sometimes wonder why i didn't get to a 23 BMI... you know what I mean? It is so easy to fall into the trap of thinking that someone else has it better, did it better or whatever... truth is ... this is our own journey and we all just do the best we can.

Having said all that, I did a bunch of different things over the course of the journey that got me to success beyond my widest dreams. I changed things up, tuned them, listened to myself and others to figure out what is needed at that particular time.

Should i find myself in your situation, I would basically start over. Eating just like a post op - high Protein, low carbs, small quantities (use small plates!) , get fluids in - all the tricks for newbies is also the best way to start over. Do NOT EAT SLIDERS. A donut is a classic example of a slider. I bet if I ate them i could eat a whole one and be hungry in an hour... I just.don't.do.it. It is like a physical addiction - I hate crappy food, don't even enjoy it, but once I start on it, the siren call is strong... very strong. i eat as clean of food as possible - Protein, veggies, some limited fruit and very low on healthy carb sources and the occasional "treat" like when I go out.

If I have the "munchies" like I just have to eat even when it isnt really time I have a piece of turkey, maybe with some cheese! If I am still hungry, maybe I have some salad greens or another piece of turkey meat.

As far as exercise, alot depends on your fitness level and your level of "wanting it". High intensity interval training is how I got from the 170s to the 150s - I don't think i could have done it without it. However, that is HARD and just getting out and moving more might be a better option until you are really fit enough to do it.

Hi stromlin,

Nice to see you back :)

It's never to late to get back in the game. It's all about saying ok today I'm working towards health and happiness. And realizing this is a lifetime change.

I've had points where I get sad knowing that I will have to deal with this for life.

But then again, I now know that I have to deal with this for life!

That was the problem with diets I started them, lost the weight and I was "done"

Hello weight gain.

So we have this... For lack of a better word "tool"

It's great but not a miracle worker.

But it's built in and still there!

So when I fall off the rails I know it's within my power to pick myself up again and use it to its full potential.

The fact of the matter is I can eat unlimited amounts of **** foods. But I still have my restriction for dense Proteins.

So what do we do? Yep, get rid of the crap from our house and our diets and go back to the basics protien and veggies.

Simple huh? :P

No not really because of the whole detoxing from carbs is hard I know. But start today and take it day by day. Hell sometimes I take it minute by minute. But if you hang tough long enough you will get through a day then tomorrow is a little easier.

Come here stay here and talk it out.

It helps me so much that others will listen if I'm struggling :)

I totally agree with all the replies. Trust me, you NEVER had restriction for donuts!! I can and DID Down bags of powdered donuts over the last year! You can pack a whole lot of junk down our small stomachs if we choose to do so.

Again, as others have said. You still have the tool you need and you can still accomplish YOUR goals! Get your head back in the game, stay totally connected to others like us who have the same struggles and are dealing daily with it and I think you will find yourself quickly in a "better place!"

I'm so glad I found the veteran forum. I've been reading the newbie posts but needed to hear from people like me. I will be one year post UOP in Oct and my bad habits have crept back in - stress eating and carbs. I made it to goal but I've gained six pounds, which may not seem like much but I know that I'm headed the wrong direction. Honestly I'm surprised it's not more with the amount is junky food I've been eating.

I got back to taking my Vitamins. I added exercise back and now I'm working on drinking more Water, eating smaller amounts and cutting back on slider foods.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'm looking at starting a weekly conf calling Sunday afternoons as well. If anyone is interested please let me know.

Pamela

I recently put this quote in my siggy because as a person in maintenance - which I have failed at 100% of the time in the past - it is easy to think we are done... as others have said...we are never DONE. Normal weight people don't see their health as something they work on for a little while and then move on - we are in this for life!

I have changed, am changing and will change the very person I am because although there are many wonderful things about me (I am not modest..haha) there are also some really sucky things. I want to permanently change how I deal with things about my health, about my relationship with food and taking care of myself, it is about my relationships with other people. It is about how i want to live the remaining time I have on this Earth.

“Transformation is not a future event. It is a present activity…That is why you must bring everything that you have to give in every moment…And it doesn’t have to be perfect, it’s not about perfect, it’s about effort. When you bring that effort every single day, that’s where transformation happens, that’s how change occurs.” – Jillian Michaels

I forgot what an awesome forum this is and how helpful it can be. Laura, you look fabulous and your words are so kind and helpful - ringing so true. CowgirlJane - Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a well thought out and inspiring response. Georgia - it is so good to be validated as normal. So, yes, back to the drawing board here - Proteins, veggies, Water. I am not looking forward to the headaches, the cravings, the frustration, etc... but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. So, here is the deal. My birthday is Thursday (38 going on 25) and I am shooting to be over that initial 3 day no sugar hell by then as a present to myself. It's a short goal but doable. I am planning to stay much more active in here. You guys are awesome.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone else uses fitbit but here is my profile in case you do. I would love to connect with others that way too.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/23QKKM

I forgot what an awesome forum this is and how helpful it can be. Laura' date=' you look fabulous and your words are so kind and helpful - ringing so true. CowgirlJane - Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a well thought out and inspiring response. Georgia - it is so good to be validated as normal. So, yes, back to the drawing board here - Proteins, veggies, Water. I am not looking forward to the headaches, the cravings, the frustration, etc... but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. So, here is the deal. My birthday is Thursday (38 going on 25) and I am shooting to be over that initial 3 day no sugar hell by then as a present to myself. It's a short goal but doable. I am planning to stay much more active in here. You guys are awesome.[/quote']

Sounds like a great present to yourself!

I had a week of indulgent behaviors too.. My husband and I went away and why does it always involve bread and cheese!! :P and yesterday was a party for my mother in law..

So I will be detoxing with you.

Ok today no crap! I'm even willing to pinky swear on it :D

You can do this! Like everyone else said, go back and start eating clean. Protein first, then veggies. Stay away from the sliders.

Getting hooked on sugar is the worst. A couple weekends ago I went on a long girls' weekend. We packed lots of Snacks to eat. I decided since it was a girls' weekend I was going to not worry about what I ate. I still made sure to get in my Protein but in between I snacked a lot. Well, I came home and that sugar addiction was rearing it's ugly head. I hadn't had this strong of an urge to eat sugar and keep eating the junk since before surgery almost 2.5 years ago! Finally a couple of days ago I told myself I had to stop. I gained 3 pounds and I don't want to end up where I was before and I hated how I felt. Now I'm going through the withdrawals from the sugar but they should be gone in a couple of days.

Having this surgery only works if we make the changes for life. We can't lose some weight and go right back to what how we were eating before. Hang in there, we are here to support you!

It helps me to make a plan for the day. Even three days to help get through the time. I write down what Im going to eat, include things I can look forward to. When I have the urge to eat, I know I have a snack coming up, and that helps keep me on track. I plan deserts at the end of most days. SF pudding or whatever. It really keeps me from eating something else when I know I have a treat built into the day.

Made it 24 hours with no sugar and low carbs (just veggies and a fruit). No sliders people, no sliders!! It may seem trivial but it was all I could do to force myself into bed last night and turn off the cravings. It probably seems silly that this is where I am at right now but hey, going back to the basics is actually hard when you've totally derailed! On my way to another successful day today - hope everyone else here has a good one as well. Thanks again for the support.

Nothing silly at all - great job and congrats!

You CAN DO THIS!

Lol, well sign me up to the silly camp too!

Because I'm doing the same thing somedays.

I'm glad yesterday went well :)

I'm right there with you coming down of all the carbs I had last week..

Have a good day I will be eating only protien and veg today also :)

Stomlin, thank you so much for having the courage to bare your soul.

I am in the same boat as you, rapidly coming up on a year and disgusted with myself because I'm still 25-30 lbs. from goal and have found myself eating sliders, and stress eating. I've gained 3 pounds in the last month...luckily its not more. I think staying dedicated to exercising has kept the weight down.

I'll be joining those of you who are eating clean today. And thank you to all the wonderful supporting vets for your replies. I don't often post, but I lurk, read, and learn from all of you.