Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi everyone, I have been browsing this sight for a long time, I have got a lot of information off of it, thank goodness for lapbandtalk, I have really learned more off here then all other things I have read and the seminar.

Obviously we all have a weight problem or we wouldn't be on here, it is good to be able to share with people that are going through the same thing you are and know they really do understand.

I am 62, weigh 285 and have a bmi of 48. I am so sick and tierd of being sick and tierd, I want to feel good, be able to cross my legs comfortably and walk and go up and down stairs without panting or hurting. I beleive the lapband is going to help me achieve this.

I am so excited about having this done. I live in Kansas and will be having mine done in Topeka.

Good luck and God Bless all of you

Tallgrass Surgical Center

Topeka, KS

Dr. Dunshee

3/28/07

Welcome kssunflower! I'm sure tammyj will add you to our March 2007 Bandster list--she's SO on top of all of this! Congrats to you! And good luck! I'm about your age so I relate to all you said. Won't it be nice to feel "normal"? I'm so pumped!

I'm swelling in my upper stomach - where the incisions are. It gets very puffy there, especially at the end of the day. I don't add salt to anything. I've made homemade broths to keep sodium down. I'm still only able to get in about 60 ozs of liquid. Not near enough. I used to drink a ton of Water, but I'm just so full now...

The gas has been gurggling around in my tummy area only. It's now coming out in a not so pleasant way. I sould be using more gas X. My family would be much happier to be around me! :)

You got banded on 3/5; your just more than a week out; hmmmmm not a real BIG concern.... when is your post op? If you are only swelling in the after noon it could be gas getting trapped. I don't think I would be concerned at all. I would drink more water and don't forget to mention it to your post op appt with your dr.

Sorry don't have the magic crystal ball on this one.

Hi,

I now have a date for Lap-Band surgery!! March 28th and start my presurgery diet on Wed. March 14th. I am so looking forward to getting started on the path of weight loss for good!!! Hugs, Deb

Well congrats!!!

keep us posted and start gathering your necessities for the surgery. Start making your list!

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm late in posting!

Sunday DH and I went to visit my mother and my brother for her Birthday so we were out of town and car travel as a passenger or otherwise makes me sleepy! and then on monday afternoon I had all my preop stuff and I didn't get my nap in so I was extra tired and went to bed early and slept long and hard. But I dreampt of garlic bread! I have been dreaming of food like crazy ever since the liquid diet! I hope it stops soon!

I got my surgery time! I have to be there @ 5:45 am and the surgery should start about 7:30 am. So nice and early lol way too early for me normally but thats ok I get to nap for most of it and the surgeon will be nice and fresh.

So the pre op appointments were interesting. First I talked to someone about insurance and all that. Then after I signed and dated the paper the women asked me if I or anyone in my family had ever been in the military. I said no... I thought it was a really strange question. She then explained that she asked because of the way I wrote the date. I write dates date month year. So I wrote 12 March 2007. I explained that I had picked up the habit when I lived in Wales in for a year (I studied abroad sophmore year of college) and it made much more sense to me and it was one of those things that had always stuck with me. Then another nurse nearby said she had lived in Europe for some years growing up and the date thing had confused her as a kid when she first went to live there, etc. So that was interesting.

Then I saw the anesthiologist. I mentioned my narcolepsy to him because I thought I should but also said I didn't think it would be a problem and that while a past sleep study had said I had apnea a more recent one and other information all agreeded that I definitely did not have sleep apnea. And of course I mentioned the GERD and that the head of my bed is usually elevated just because but no I never wake up choking-- I never wake up for things like that even if they did occur. And my brother did have a high fever after his past couple surgeries and it might be due to anestheia someone said, but weren't sure. So then I learned about malignant hypothermia. Apparently its this really dangerous condition where someone gets a high fever after anesthia because of their muscles (I forget exactly why) and its like this chemical reaction. And it used to be poorly understood. But they understand it better now at least and it has to be treated right away or it can really be fatal and it still does have a potentially high fatallity rate. But because my brother's fever went down within 24 hours and he was treated with anitiobitcs and stuff the anesthiologist didn't think it was that-- I didn't think it was anything to be really concerned about because at the time no one was really too concerned about the fever, just watching it and so forth. Anesthiologist mentioned fever is more likely to occur with those who already have muscle problems of some sort too like muscle dystrophy etc. (My brother does have cerebral palsy). So then I asked if I should take my provigil the day of the procedure or not since it was a wakefullness drug and he wanted me to not be awake. He said to not take it. I also asked if he could please not use valium at all since with valium I get memory loss-- more than just the procedure but a whole day. He said that memory loss was a good thing for surgery. I don't know if I didn't convey the scope of my memory loss with valium or what (I've had it a couple of times. The first time I had it was for a routine upper endoscopy. The next day I remember asking my mother what we had done the day before. I can't remember anything at all from the day of the endoscopy. The other time I had it was when I went to the ER for muscle spasms involving the diaphram and I went late at night and we left early morning and I know we left on valentines day. I can't remember that valentines. The whole day is gone. What valium does-- or can do at least is cause problems with tranfer to long term memory. There are other similar drugs that have a more targeted less extreme effect so you will just forget the procedure instead of the whole 24 hour period, etc). And the anesthiologist said they could try to use less but that before they did the general anesthia they had to do something because otherwise I would be anxious and it would take more anesthia, etc. I wasn't so sure about that. I suspect I might be more anxious about the potential use of valium than I am about the surgery! At least I am much more anxious about that right now! But I'm an odd duck...

Then I saw the general practitioner for a quick physical exam. My blood pressure was nice and low- 100 over 80. My regular doc says after that surgery I should be able to at least lower my dose of lisinipril that I am on for my BP. And then once I start losing some weight I can get off of it :) So that is exciting. While I was waiting in the exam room I looked around at it and my neck cracked. It was wonderful :) I had had this Migraine that wouldn't quit the week before caused my this tension in my neck from this one muscle that I couldn't get to ease up. And then I had to take maxalt nearly every day after I got a big demerol shot (my ass still is sore). Well after my neck cracked I felt the tension in my neck easing up and this relieved the pressure on my head. Finally! And I had tried everything too! And here I was just looking around! I need to make a chiro apointment. So physical exam was fine and short.

Then I went to the lab where I peed in a cup and they drew some blood and then I had an EKG. Now before I had only had EKGs in sleep studies along with EEGs and so forth. So I was surprised how short it was. But I wasn't expecting to have one at all. And because I'm super lazy about doing laundry I tend to wait until everything is dirty but the last outfit, etc. So I was at that day. This meant I was wearing a skirt, a new tshirt, and for undies I was wearing this bodysuite type thing. Now the bodysuite is slimming which is nice and also comfy but not so good for EKG. So I ended up just having to flash the person doing the EKG for a couple of minutes. I said I'm sorry, but I don't like doing laundry. she understood. And the scars on the breast are how I learned not to fry anything in the nude. LOL and that part is true... Well I had heard the saying don't fry bacon in the nude. Nobody ever says don't fry beignets in the nude. But now I'm pretty sure nothing should be fried in the nude. I'll put some mederma on the spots they will fade.

So then I got to go home.

Now I have a good DH. Sometimes he will screw up on things like valentines or birthdays and not get stuff when he is supposed to because he doesn't know what to get and he doesn't want to get something bad, but he is getting a lot better at that now. But he's still not ultra romantic or anything. Thats ok. Neither am I. But I am sending myself get well soon flowers. I want them. He won't think of it-- why would he? So I'm going to do it myself. I also had him take me shopping yesterday because I needed to get wax for my legs and hair dye for my hair because my roots are showing. And then when the first store didn't have my color I had him take me to another store. He said "Do you really need to dye your hair before your surgery? You just got it cut?" I said, "Yes because I won't feel like dying it right after and the roots will bug me". So that was the end of that discussion. And then we stopped by sams to stock up on low carb slimfast. I had already sent him on a milk run that morning and I have enough Unjury. Of course we have only been married seven months. So we are still honeymooners.

So now I need to do some laundry and some dishes. And wax my legs and dye my hair and work an appeal letter to my insurance re my lidoderm patch. Call a couple of people and then relax and try not to think too much about garlic bread and french fries and other food I can't eat.

Hi guys! OK..I am coming out of hiding..... :)

I am sitting outside Antwerp in my hotel and I am counting down the HOURS instead of the months, weeks and days until I have my surgery!! I have a 10 A.M. appointment with Dr. LaFullarde and am waiting for the anxiety to start in! I imagine about the time I see the hospital, I will start wringing my hands!!

My husband has been awesome! We have gone out to 5 star restaurants nearly every night this week to have one "last meal" after another!!! Tonight, I was punished...we ordered a fixed menu and it had DUCK as a main course! ACK!! Then, I got caught trying to hide it under the veggies on my plate, and was asked if something was "wrong" with my meal. lol to save me, my hubby ate my duck for me...even though he also HATES it! Is that love or what??? Now I am all full of chocolate crepe and a wonderful Waldorf salad....God love my surgeon for not making me do a liquid diet BEFORE my surgery. (Sorry to those who ARE on one!!) I actually think I have food out of my system for awhile, thanks to too many rich meals!

Anyway, I am wondering how it will all go and hoping to NOT have a catheter!!! I am a bit worried about being intubated (tube down the throat), and naturally curious about how painful it will be. But, I am so proud to be joining the ranks of those of you who are already "WITH THE BAND", and looking forward to welcome the banders who come after me to the "team"!!! I am finding great inspiration in some of you guys....lurking quietly in the shadows reading about your successes. But, I will soon be seeking support among you all, and hope I can soon be an inspiration for others. Thanks to everyone here, just for BEING HERE. You guys have made this journey alot easier just by sharing your hearts her eon these boards. My prayers go out to everyone sharing my "rebirth day" (banding day) and all those coming in the days after. I will come back and report all the (gory/not so gory) details when I can get online!!!

Hugs to all of you out there! :)

Charlotte

My name is Linda Lamb and I have been reading and gathering as much info as I can regarding the Lap Band procedure. I finally found a Doctor in my area and went to a seminar where I was educated about the procedure, costs, and locations where I can have it done. My dilemma is that the information and pictures of people who had Lap Band surgery had lost large amounts of weight. The amounts were 135 lbs, 140 lbs, 105 lbs, 150 lbs and greater. One lady who weighed 292 lbs lost 160 lbs. These are the same people that I have seen advertise the Lap Band procedure on TV. In the education seminar the doctors said with a Lap band procedure you normally lose 50% of you excess weight. I weigh 267 my BMI is 47.4 I am severe morbidly obese. Judging by Standard Weight Chart, with a medium frame I am 132 lbs over weight. I should be around 121-135 lbs. If I decide to have the Lap Band procedure I was told I would lose 50% of my weight that and it would take 2-3 years to do so. That means I would lose around 66 lbs.and weigh about 200 lbs after the Lap Band Surgery I would still be morbidly obese because my BMI will be 35.5. Even if I went with the large frame measurement by the Standard Weight Chart I should weigh around 147 lbs. I would weigh around 207 lbs. and be 60 lbs. over with a BMI of 36.7. I ask the Doctor about the small amount of weigh lost and was told the Gastric Bypass gives a better weight reduction. One of the Drs. said if I were his sister he would tell me to have the Gastric Bypass. He said long term people with the band has a lot of little complications nothing serious. He said of course everyone is different but if I wanted to lose weight and not still be obese the Lap Band wasn't for me. My question to you is; there a lot of hype about the Lap Band. The pictures presented tells one story and the facts are another. I really don't want the Gastric Bypass but I do want to lose more weight than 50% of my excess. The receptionist told me on my way out the door that most of the patients who had the lap band were not really satisfied with the weight loss. She said a few came back and had the Gastric Bypass done later. Please help me sort this out. The doctor I saw today said he couldn't help me with these questions - it was my problem and I need to make up my mind about what I want to do. He didn't answer my questions about if this is true about the weight loss only being 50% why is it advertised as though you can lose a large amount of weight. I am not looking for a instant cure. I don't the loss coming off slowly. But I don't want to think I could loss a great amount and I don't even though I am doing all that I am suppose to do. I am willing to do my part and I know that this is just a tool to help me along the way. I was so excited about the Lap Band but now I have reservations and I'm depressed, perplexed and is eating everything that is not tied down. :hungry: Please someone please help me.

I am full of my opinion!

Go look at the before and after pictures of everyone and ask them a ton of questions!!

The people who get lapband are more discrete per se' with what they are doing, and do not have to worry about mal absorption issues. It is reversible. However it is not a "cure" and it is only a tool but read our stories. It is a process either direction. Are you of child bearing age? How long have you been fat? Why are you fat? I think your answer needs to come to you through more reading our posts and more research on pros and cons. Read read read read for another week and get back to me on what your concerns are, I will try and help.

Hi Everyone,

I have been following this thread and have decided to post. Everyone here seems amazing with great moral support.

I am excited. I am getting banded tomorrow and can hardly believe it!!!:heh: It really is coming true. I have been heavy all my life and remember beginning my first diet at 10 years old. Pretty sad, but this is a whole new beginning.

Been on a clear liquid diet for three days and have to continue with it post op, but everytime I want to "cheat," I remind myself that I am cheating myself and stick with it. Wish me LUCK!!

Anybody seen Tabithan?

Please let us know how you are doing....

My name is Linda Lamb and I have been reading and gathering as much info as I can regarding the Lap Band procedure. I finally found a Doctor in my area and went to a seminar where I was educated about the procedure, costs, and locations where I can have it done. My dilemma is that the information and pictures of people who had Lap Band surgery had lost large amounts of weight. The amounts were 135 lbs, 140 lbs, 105 lbs, 150 lbs and greater. One lady who weighed 292 lbs lost 160 lbs. These are the same people that I have seen advertise the Lap Band procedure on TV. In the education seminar the doctors said with a Lap band procedure you normally lose 50% of you excess weight. I weigh 267 my BMI is 47.4 I am severe morbidly obese. Judging by Standard Weight Chart, with a medium frame I am 132 lbs over weight. I should be around 121-135 lbs. If I decide to have the Lap Band procedure I was told I would lose 50% of my weight that and it would take 2-3 years to do so. That means I would lose around 66 lbs.and weigh about 200 lbs after the Lap Band Surgery I would still be morbidly obese because my BMI will be 35.5. Even if I went with the large frame measurement by the Standard Weight Chart I should weigh around 147 lbs. I would weigh around 207 lbs. and be 60 lbs. over with a BMI of 36.7. I ask the Doctor about the small amount of weigh lost and was told the Gastric Bypass gives a better weight reduction. One of the Drs. said if I were his sister he would tell me to have the Gastric Bypass. He said long term people with the band has a lot of little complications nothing serious. He said of course everyone is different but if I wanted to lose weight and not still be obese the Lap Band wasn't for me. My question to you is; there a lot of hype about the Lap Band. The pictures presented tells one story and the facts are another. I really don't want the Gastric Bypass but I do want to lose more weight than 50% of my excess. The receptionist told me on my way out the door that most of the patients who had the lap band were not really satisfied with the weight loss. She said a few came back and had the Gastric Bypass done later. Please help me sort this out. The doctor I saw today said he couldn't help me with these questions - it was my problem and I need to make up my mind about what I want to do. He didn't answer my questions about if this is true about the weight loss only being 50% why is it advertised as though you can lose a large amount of weight. I am not looking for a instant cure. I don't the loss coming off slowly. But I don't want to think I could loss a great amount and I don't even though I am doing all that I am suppose to do. I am willing to do my part and I know that this is just a tool to help me along the way. I was so excited about the Lap Band but now I have reservations and I'm depressed, perplexed and is eating everything that is not tied down. :hungry: Please someone please help me.

Just one more comment.....

Why would you consider anything else IF the lapband was an option for you?? It is IMHO safer than gallbladder surgery, it is reversible (if needed) it is adjustable (if needed). I DO know of someone who had lapband a couple years later after gastric bypass. But that statistic is a one in a million.

The ONLY reason I considered weight loss surgery is because of the lapband and its simplistic tool use. Other than that I would be still struggling with my co morbidities.

Just a thought...I know I know you are considering the 50% factor. I did too. But I got committed to seeing me healthy, and my risk factor and success factor is 100% in my hands and I am scared to death for people who get the gastric, but I know of people who have had it done and on a daily basis they have to deal with the malabsorption issue.

Do alot more reading...

Pam, I am right there with you. My closet ranges in size from size 14 to 24. I have decided that once I "shrink" out of my big clothes, I am taking them immediatly to the consignment shop. That way I can be able to buy some new ones at the same consignment shop! I will have to be repeating the same thing to myself as well. My brain is having a difficult time wrapping itself around the thought of once I am banded, I will never be this heavy again!

Machele

The more weight I lose the happier I get, kinda wierd. And now every fat person I see I want to go up to them and tell them about how I am losing weight and they should go get banded today. I am a freak!

It is really easier than I thought it would be, but am not convinced that I am not in a dream still. (do you know what I mean?)

See a couple of different doctors who do both procedures and ask them what they think is best for you. It is true- studies have shown this- I've read them-- that in about five or six years after surgery the weight loss for people who have both the band and the bypass is the same. This is because people with bypass do tend to gain some weight back while people with the band lose slower and tend to learn healthier habits (people with the bypass sometimes think they can eat whatever they want and the bypass will keep them from gaining. Not always. Sometimes). It depends on you and so forth. For me I have several reasons That I do not want a malabsortive procedure like the bypass-- I'm 23. I've yet to have kids. So I decided that the band is better for pregnancy than bypass and also just for generaly nutrition. Another very big reason was because I have chronic health problems including narcolepsy. I'm going to have to take medications forever. And due to the nature of narcolepsy some of those meds are likely to be stimulants. Now if I had a malabsorptive procedure I knew that could very likely affect how I aborbed medications and how well medications worked for me. I might have to have a much higher dose of something to be effective, etc. So I didn't want to have to be on super high dose of stimulants due to malapsorption when I wasn't sure exactly what malabsorption would mean and so forth. I decided i wanted to avoid malabsorption all together. I also wanted to avoid the majorness of the bypass from a surgical permanent cutting away interal stuff point of view.

Now I know what the stats are. I asked my doctor-- what makes a person be at one end of the bell curve you see with the band and weight loss versus at that middle of the bell curve at that 50-60% weight loss? And he said that people who typically lost the most were younger, male, highly motivated. Now I'm not male. But I am younger. And motivation is something that we have as a personal variable all the time. And I also liked the idea of the band being able to adjust it ten years down the road...

But maybe bypass is better for you. I don't know. I wouldn't be able to say. So talk to Docs on either side of the fence and ones if the middle if they are around. Do what is best for you whatever that is. We like the band here...

Sue in Russia;

Okay I am not proposing anybody do this but this I think is what I ate for the first week or so....

Baritrix Essentials (protein shakes or Breakfast and lunch~it is my staple)

Dinners are where I eat with my family and I try to keep everything as it has been for the last 20 years.

Surgery on Thurs

Friday dinner bean with 1/2c bacon Soup and 1/2c clam chowder soup pureed both Soups

Sat some cottage cheese and some baby bell cheese and veg. beef soup but I did not eat the beef and I pureed it.

Sunday cottage cheese, Jello, pudding

Monday 1/6 of a tamale (squished in my mouth really good) chinese soup

Tues 1/2 of a tamale (squished in my mouth really good)

Wed the insides of a chicken taco with some refried bean

Thurs veg beef soup (no meat), cottage cheese, baby belle cheese, pudding and jello

Friday??

Saturday ??

Sunday scrambled egg(breakfast), turkey spaghetti with 2 penne Pasta noodles

Monday Tamale and jello

Tuesday just shakes so far.

I chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew chew like forever

Will try again...lost my long post!! I got all of my pre-op stuff out of the way and its good to go for Thursday at 10:30!! I am 90% ready but the 10% still shouts did you try everything else??? I so need to have this work for me and will make every last effort to do the correct thing. This comes from years of trying and failing other diets. I have thyroid disease so I have always had to fight for every pound. Good luck to everyone that has a coming date and I will check back later when I have crossed over to lap land.

About Shopping...

Its kind of funny... I have to one of the few women in the world whose husband has more clothes than she does (he really does!) but he needs to go get some new jeans soon and donate some pairs that don't fit anymore-- either his waist has gotten bigger or they have shrunk or a bit of both. He is still in a healthy weight range and we are always working on eating more veggies and stuff so thats not really a problem. But he will tell me sometimes like when I run out of clean clothes cause I haven't done the laundry in a week that I need more clothes! I then I say to him, "no, I don't." Maybe I could use one or two staple pieces but I have enough clothes. I just need to do the laundry more. Or when I wear summery clothes in winter because I am not fond of heavy winter clothes, etc. The other day he said to me that maybe I should go buy more bras since I said I was out of clean ones. I said I thought I had enough for now I just needed to wash the ones I did have. And that I didn't feel like shopping for them currently. I said that once I lost some weight and went down a size or two I would go do some shopping and I would get a couple of bras then even if my chest was still the same size. And I pointed out that I bought a new pair of cargo pants and a new blouse just a couple of weeks ago. So there.

I bought a bunch of clothes over the summer so my wardrobe could be more varried because I was looking for a job since I had graduated and all I had was pretty much t shirts and jeans. So I understand the need to update stuff and throw away the stuff that is old and stained and not supposed to be worn in good company (even if it is comfortable). I just think it is funny my husband tells me to go buy clothes. Maybe after I loose all the excess weight I can get on a show like what not to wear or something...

Hi All, I am going in at6:00 tommorrow morning, for my band at 7:30, I had to see an anesthesis today because of a previous problem after surgery in 2000. He says he doesn't see any problem with my airway and is trying to get the actual records from the anesthesis that did the previous surgery. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers, and good luck to all. I also do not have a pre op diet, but a strick after diet.

Well, I have all my pre-op testing this week and I am sick :) I got on an antibiatic on Monday. The doc that gave it to me said that the tests shouldnt be affected. One thing I was stressing was when I was going to have the blood work done. Most places close to early and Sat. would be a day to late to have it done. So since I was sick and went to the doc on Monday she had told me that when I come back on wednesday for the pre-op testing they actully take the blood in the office. This is my PMD doc's office. I go to a nurse practioner who was is not in on monday saw my old doc on monday. So, anyways I am glad I asked all that on Monday cause I didnt know I was getting the blood work that day and I wouldnt have fasted. I have to fast all day at work my apointment is at3:15. So, that done tomorrow and then the chest x-ray on Thursday. After that is it just all pre on my own. I wish it would all go by just a bit faster. I am getting antsy. Sorry about the bad spelling guys!