Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi,

I now have a date for Lap-Band surgery!! March 28th and start my presurgery diet on Wed. March 14th. I am so looking forward to getting started on the path of weight loss for good!!! Hugs, Deb

My name is Linda Lamb and I have been reading and gathering as much info as I can regarding the Lap Band procedure. I finally found a Doctor in my area and went to a seminar where I was educated about the procedure, costs, and locations where I can have it done. My dilemma is that the information and pictures of people who had Lap Band surgery had lost large amounts of weight. The amounts were 135 lbs, 140 lbs, 105 lbs, 150 lbs and greater. One lady who weighed 292 lbs lost 160 lbs. These are the same people that I have seen advertise the Lap Band procedure on TV. In the education seminar the doctors said with a Lap band procedure you normally lose 50% of you excess weight. I weigh 267 my BMI is 47.4 I am severe morbidly obese. Judging by Standard Weight Chart, with a medium frame I am 132 lbs over weight. I should be around 121-135 lbs. If I decide to have the Lap Band procedure I was told I would lose 50% of my weight that and it would take 2-3 years to do so. That means I would lose around 66 lbs.and weigh about 200 lbs after the Lap Band Surgery I would still be morbidly obese because my BMI will be 35.5. Even if I went with the large frame measurement by the Standard Weight Chart I should weigh around 147 lbs. I would weigh around 207 lbs. and be 60 lbs. over with a BMI of 36.7. I ask the Doctor about the small amount of weigh lost and was told the Gastric Bypass gives a better weight reduction. One of the Drs. said if I were his sister he would tell me to have the Gastric Bypass. He said long term people with the band has a lot of little complications nothing serious. He said of course everyone is different but if I wanted to lose weight and not still be obese the Lap Band wasn't for me. My question to you is; there a lot of hype about the Lap Band. The pictures presented tells one story and the facts are another. I really don't want the Gastric Bypass but I do want to lose more weight than 50% of my excess. The receptionist told me on my way out the door that most of the patients who had the lap band were not really satisfied with the weight loss. She said a few came back and had the Gastric Bypass done later. Please help me sort this out. The doctor I saw today said he couldn't help me with these questions - it was my problem and I need to make up my mind about what I want to do. He didn't answer my questions about if this is true about the weight loss only being 50% why is it advertised as though you can lose a large amount of weight. I am not looking for a instant cure. I don't the loss coming off slowly. But I don't want to think I could loss a great amount and I don't even though I am doing all that I am suppose to do. I am willing to do my part and I know that this is just a tool to help me along the way. I was so excited about the Lap Band but now I have reservations and I'm depressed, perplexed and is eating everything that is not tied down. :hungry: Please someone please help me.

Linda-I was always afraid of the bypass surgery, although there are alot of people that do just fine with the surgery and weight wise it is usually a good thing. I have read alot of people gain back, but that can be true of anything weight related. What i would say is that if your Dr. is bypass oriented and you want the lapband I might go to someone who specializes in lapband . Good-luck I know it is alot of info and big choices to make.

Pam-Could you tell me what foods you first started out on that didn't cause you too much trouble. I see what you are saying about the band and trusting your instincts with foods..probably a good approach. Ouch on the chicken..how far out were you?

Annie-I don't know if I have restriction , I am not eating very much so it's hard to say. Like i said Iam alittle intimidated by food at this second. I'm sure that will pass. how are you doing with the Water? seems hard to get it in. How is your swelling/if any/ I seem to be getting to the end of that myself. I am anxious to see my incisions.I still have steri-strips on them.

Synicalchick- how do your incisions look/ have you seen them?

All who are new..hello. we have quite a big group- i am not ignoring you. Looking forward to hearing everyone's story.

Char- how are things today?

Well yesterday went fine...so far no pain.. only dry mouth and scratchy throat i ahve my sippy cup of Water and package of sugar free mints next to me at all times. i walked 4 blocks last night. i really feel fine just very bored... off work today too, plann on going to get hair cut and colored, i like change!!

Magnolia... was day yesterday too? i noticed we have the same goals and basically the same starting weight..how tall are you? i am 5ft 3in. hope all went well with you.

will most more later.........

sharon

Hotpink Bubbles - 03/13

Tabithan - 03/13

:gluck:

:welcomeB: Tabithan and Deb!!!!!!!! Good Luck to Both of You!!!

Sophie, I am loving those recipies...they sound delicious!!! :hungry:

Glogirl, thank you so much! You are very sweet!:)

Pam, I don't have all the answers, but please take it easy. Problems may not happen immediately. They can occur down the line if you don't allow yourself to heal.

Sharon, It's good to hear that you are out and about and doing just fine! I hope I will be doing the same on Friday! :clap2:

Glogirl;

Did you do mushies BEFORE you were suppose to? Is that why you paniced? Well I DID do the mushies before my one week post op check up and the Dr. was a little grumpy over it.But obviously my band did its' job and I did not do damage.

He says that the pain caused by the mushies after surgery and prior to the swelling going down stops "normal fat people" from being tempted to try mushies and I chimed right in and assured him I feel no pain, but IF I had I would have not eaten that chicken.(you should have seen the hair on the back of his neck stand up when I told him I ate chicken)~ then when I told him I ate a scrambled egg before the 10 days post op appointment he started telling me I don't follow the rules.

But seriously I did not think I was doing that bad and explained to him my mouth (teeth) do a better job than a blender.

He made me sweat a little (got me nervous) and made me promise to stick to the rules and read the rules I need to stick to.

My main problem is that I have a unique memory (I learn by trial and error) and I have an unusually high pain tolerance (at least I am told this all the time) people can't understand why I am not in pain when I should be; but in reality I am so frightened by that particular experience that my endorphines are taking over and my game face is on, so pain is not the issue.

I am not being a troubled child, I just need to understand why my mouth can't chew chew chew chew just like the blender does, and why sip sip sip when you can drink.

Pam,

No I followed the rules I just felt a little paniced I think because I thought great now I will overeat. I guess that was just an old reaction. I just still can't get over that this is working.

I seemed to tolerate what I ate yesterday well. Never felt bad and the dog and I did a 30 min. walk so I guess I am on my way.

I am down 20lbs.:clap2: :clap2:

Pam-Could you tell me what foods you first started out on that didn't cause you too much trouble. I see what you are saying about the band and trusting your instincts with foods..probably a good approach. Ouch on the chicken..how far out were you?

Sue:

Read my last post about how my Dr. got grumpy with me eating the way I have....but to answer your question about the chicken (deep fried General chicken) that got stuck..... Uhhhhhhhh I was maybe 2-3 days post op, but in my defense I don't have any pain to speak of to remind me that I was banded and it was totally out of bad bad bad bad behavior I stuck that in my mouth.

I have eaten chicken in a controlled environment since and I have had no problem.

Right on Glogirl!!!!

You know..... everytime I look in my closet or everytime I "fit" better into a pair of jeans, "I" in the back of my mind think ...."hmmmmmmm" how long are these going to fit until I gain my weight back". What a horrible conscious but true all my life I have always bounced from being fat to fatter back to fat again then fatter. I have clothes in my closet from size 16 to 26, and have never thrown them away until a couple days ago I donated some of them. I always kept them because I am logical about my weight, and this time I am logical too, if they are too big for me now I will never be able to wear them again. (I just need to repeat this to myself at least 1000x)

Right on Glogirl!!!!

You know..... everytime I look in my closet or everytime I "fit" better into a pair of jeans, "I" in the back of my mind think ...."hmmmmmmm" how long are these going to fit until I gain my weight back". What a horrible conscious but true all my life I have always bounced from being fat to fatter back to fat again then fatter. I have clothes in my closet from size 16 to 26, and have never thrown them away until a couple days ago I donated some of them. I always kept them because I am logical about my weight, and this time I am logical too, if they are too big for me now I will never be able to wear them again. (I just need to repeat this to myself at least 1000x)

Excatly!!!! I just keep telling myself "You have the tool. You will be fine.":D

Sue my staples in the first week were bad bad bad, they were what a thrid week post op person should be eating.

If you really want to know I will PM them to you but don't want anybody to follow me lead.

They weren't really bad they just were in the wrong week of eating them....

Tammy!!!!

Tomarrow it is all about you Babe!!!! Woohooo!

You you have been reading these posts long enough and have posted long enough you think you are ready right? During surgery somehow the dr. has the ability to erase everything you think you have learned and you will be full of questions and concerns.

Let me reassure you that we are hear for you and will help in anyway we can. It is amazing at how when you personally are on the hot seat it is a little different than just saying "it will be okay"!

But truly you will love the surgery and love the control the band gives to us. Please post ASAP after surgery because the inquiring minds need to know....

Right on Glogirl!!!!

What a horrible conscious but true all my life I have always bounced from being fat to fatter back to fat again then fatter. I have clothes in my closet from size 16 to 26, and have never thrown them away until a couple days ago I donated some of them. I always kept them because I am logical about my weight, and this time I am logical too, if they are too big for me now I will never be able to wear them again. (I just need to repeat this to myself at least 1000x)

Pam, I am right there with you. My closet ranges in size from size 14 to 24. I have decided that once I "shrink" out of my big clothes, I am taking them immediatly to the consignment shop. That way I can be able to buy some new ones at the same consignment shop! I will have to be repeating the same thing to myself as well. My brain is having a difficult time wrapping itself around the thought of once I am banded, I will never be this heavy again!

Hello all. I am now 6 days post-op. Everything is better! I am enjoying my Soups. I can have cream soups as long as they are thinned down. I am using milk to to do that with so I can get a little extra Protein. I had sf hot chocolate this morning. Sooooo gooood. My doc doesn't want to put any weight on the new stomach above the band (pouch) until it is healed. So thin liquids for two weeks, then pureed, then mushy, then solids gradually. I want to heal properly so I am toughing it out. Nothing could be as bad as the pre-op. All that Sfast. UGH! I went to my first support meeting last night and enjoyed it. So many have had good success, very encourageing. I go for my post op check-up Thurs. That will tell the tell how I have done weight wise. Will let you know how that goes.