Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi Everyone,

I have been following this thread and have decided to post. Everyone here seems amazing with great moral support.

I am excited. I am getting banded tomorrow and can hardly believe it!!!:heh: It really is coming true. I have been heavy all my life and remember beginning my first diet at 10 years old. Pretty sad, but this is a whole new beginning.

Been on a clear liquid diet for three days and have to continue with it post op, but everytime I want to "cheat," I remind myself that I am cheating myself and stick with it. Wish me LUCK!!

Gail- thanks for the idea! can i ask if you were using a flavored Protein powder? I guess whatever you have to mix it with to get it in. i know that the protein is important. So, on the Soup , about 1/2 cup to 1 cup? just curious if we are all eating about the same amount. can you imagine us eating that amount ??crazy...

Sue,

It is called whey Protein powder here. It is vanilla flavored. Did I mention it has 23g Protein per serving (8 oz of H20). I try to conform to quit when I start to feel full on the soup. That has usually been about 1/3 to 1/2 cup right now. But I haven't been that hungry yet. Today was a little rough, we had to go out of town for a bit and I stopped and got some Egg Drop Soup. My DH had a big and tasty and fries at Mac's. I gotta admit I felt a little twinge of "poor pitiful me", but I got through it!

Hi Everyone,

I have been following this thread and have decided to post. Everyone here seems amazing with great moral support.

I am excited. I am getting banded tomorrow and can hardly believe it!!!:heh: It really is coming true. I have been heavy all my life and remember beginning my first diet at 10 years old. Pretty sad, but this is a whole new beginning.

Been on a clear liquid diet for three days and have to continue with it post op, but everytime I want to "cheat," I remind myself that I am cheating myself and stick with it. Wish me LUCK!!

I wish you the very best Tabithan. I had my surgery on March 7th. I have had some unwanted gas pains BUT NO REGRETS!!!!WOO HOO!!!

Hi Everyone,

Woooooohooooo! God has blessed this day for you to enter the land of food control and a healthier lifestyle!!

You are going to love it!!!!

Congrats and keep us posted on your progress.

Get a ticker so we can see how you are doing!!

Should I be buying some Protein powder to add to my chicken broth for my 48 hours after surgery? Or is it enough just to wait the 48 hours until I'm at full liquids??

Buy protein powder!

Just because you are going to be able to go to full liquids, does not mean you will be getting enough protein, and you need protein (lots of it) to be satiated and to heal quicker.

Bariatrix Essentials is great stuff but I also went to GNC and they have fantastic premixed stuff too..

Good luck, are you getting excited???

Char;

Your story brought tears to my eyes.

Thank goodness you had the sense to get to ER!

I am 10 days post op and had "some" issues; nothing compared to yours, thank goodness they are behind you and they were overcome.

Even with those complications in 1 week from now you will still say it is worth it.

I eat so little and am sooooo satisfied, everyday I wake up thinking: am I really going to have restriction today or am I going to have to eat like I use to prior to banding and everyday so far I am sooooo happy to say the band it still working!!!! Yahoooo!

Go read some of my posts.... I tell it like it really is, and as of today I still say the band is one of the best things in my life.

Pam...I am right there with you...This morning I went for my post op and they said ok now you can go to the what we call mushie stuff. I immediately felt a little panic. But as I found out...my little friend on my tummy is doing it's job. I am surprised at how little food it takes to make me happy:hungry: :clap2: :clap2: !!! I go for my first fill on March 26th.

Glad to hear from you hearsmile...glad everything went well for you!!:)

TammyJ...You Are Positively Awsome!!!! I know you are getting excited and I know you are going to do fine because you have such a positive spirit!! Yea You!!! This time next week you will be moving and grooving:biggrin1:

Glogirl;

Did you do mushies BEFORE you were suppose to? Is that why you paniced? Well I DID do the mushies before my one week post op check up and the Dr. was a little grumpy over it.But obviously my band did its' job and I did not do damage.

He says that the pain caused by the mushies after surgery and prior to the swelling going down stops "normal fat people" from being tempted to try mushies and I chimed right in and assured him I feel no pain, but IF I had I would have not eaten that chicken.(you should have seen the hair on the back of his neck stand up when I told him I ate chicken)~ then when I told him I ate a scrambled egg before the 10 days post op appointment he started telling me I don't follow the rules.

But seriously I did not think I was doing that bad and explained to him my mouth (teeth) do a better job than a blender.

He made me sweat a little (got me nervous) and made me promise to stick to the rules and read the rules I need to stick to.

My main problem is that I have a unique memory (I learn by trial and error) and I have an unusually high pain tolerance (at least I am told this all the time) people can't understand why I am not in pain when I should be; but in reality I am so frightened by that particular experience that my endorphines are taking over and my game face is on, so pain is not the issue.

I am not being a troubled child, I just need to understand why my mouth can't chew chew chew chew just like the blender does, and why sip sip sip when you can drink.

Hello all March Banders:

I had my surgery on Monday 3-5-07, and I am feeling fine. Just a little soreness around the port area. I am back at work - eating my mushies and enjoying every minute of it. I am officially in the worlkd of banders.

I thought this day would never come. Can anyone give me infomration on how long this swelling persists and what to expect in the near future.

I really missed my correspondence with you all. :heh:

I had surgery the 5th and am still swelling. I was especially swollen after working a full day fri and today. I rested sat and sun and it wasn't so bad those days.

I have more gas today than I think I had right after the operation :) Must have been that cream of broccoli Soup. Darn it.

I was experiencing the exact same thing today. Worse ever for gas. Hope I got rid of the last of it!!

I had surgery the 5th and am still swelling. I was especially swollen after working a full day fri and today. I rested sat and sun and it wasn't so bad those days.

Sophie;

Where is your swelling, how do you know you are swollen? How much Water are you drinking each day? What is your salt intake?

One week post-op and I already decided I need to get creative with broth. Thought I'd share:

chicken enchelada broth: Mix chicken broth with Uninjury chicken flavored Protein supplement, green enchelada sauce, light sour cream, blend and heat.

Beef Strogonoff broth: Mix beef broth with worchestershire sauce and light sour cream, blend and heat.

These were so yummy! I bought some cheese Soups today that I thought would be good to throw in with the enchelada broth too. I'm going to make beef with red enchelada sauce, cheese Soup, and sour cream tomorrow. Still have 3-4 weeks pureed to do, so I'll get to have lots more fun with broth!

I'm swelling in my upper stomach - where the incisions are. It gets very puffy there, especially at the end of the day. I don't add salt to anything. I've made homemade broths to keep sodium down. I'm still only able to get in about 60 ozs of liquid. Not near enough. I used to drink a ton of Water, but I'm just so full now...

The gas has been gurggling around in my tummy area only. It's now coming out in a not so pleasant way. I sould be using more gas X. My family would be much happier to be around me! :)

What about a delicious French Asparagus Soup, or french onion soup.

But!!! The sodium in your broth Soups is what could be causing your swelling!just a thought. I know I swell when I eat too much salt

Your creative soups sound delicious, please post them on the cookbook lapband recipes thread.