Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and depressed

So I've just had my 2nd appt with the NUT and i'm very frustrated. When I saw the doctor said that he needed me to lose some weight. I ask how much and he said it was not that he wanted me to lose a set amount but it depended on the width of my stomach, but then he goes and tells the NUT something different that he needs me to lose 100lbs. I want this surgery very badly, I think that it will help, I don't see it as a fix all, but is it to much to ask for some consistency from the doctor and the Nut. He's telling me to cut out all carbs and she telling me and coaching me on a balance diet with good carbs. :unsure:

First question that comes to mind, will the doctor NOT do the surgery if you do not lose a certain amount of weight? Also, what does your insurance require?

I think you may need to talk with the doc and the NUT together. Explain to them you are confused at the requirements.

I always thought the insurance set the requirements...but each clinic is different.

Please don't be depressed, this will only hinder your progress.Keep moving forward and talk to the doc and the nut. Keep your chin up honey, you'll get through this and it will all be behind you soon enough!

I know, this is VERY confusing. And you'll see how different our prep programs are as well.

I doubt if you'll need to use 100# before surgery!!!

You need to show "good effort" and FOR SURE you need to be strict in the few weeks before surgery to "shrink your liver" and make the surgeon's job easier (the live sits on the stomach).

Vent, and stick with it, friend!

ok - that is crazy. If i could lose 100 pounds on my own, I wouldn't have needed the surgery. I agree with talking to the doctor and NUT together to get on the same page and find out exactly what is needed prior to surgery. If that doesn't work, there are other surgeons out there. Mine told me that dieting didn't work before - that's why I was there. So they didnt expect a diet or weight loss. My 3 month supervised "diet" was really implementing the habits I would need to be successful after surgery.

He said that before he could safely do the surgery, I needed to to lose some weight and when I ask how much he said that he was going by size of my stomach and not a certain number of pounds, but then the Nut said that he told her that it was 100lbs, but I have an appt with him in two weeks and will discuss it with him thin and just keep trying to lose weight,

Thanks for listening.

Unless you are like 500+ lbs, Im not sure a doctor would ask you to lose that much pre op. I bet what happened is just a misunderstanding. Your nut thought you meant how much he wants/expects you to lose post op. If he wanted you to lose 100lb pre op, you best be sure he would have had a long discussion about that.

I guess the question is, how much do you weigh? The surgery is very high risk for someone over a certain weight or BMI. I could see a Dr. wanting someone to lose 100 lbs if they were 500 lbs or something.

I weight 534, and I understand that I need to lose weight before being able to have surgery, my frustration is with him tell me one thing and the Nut another, on the eating plan and how much weight I need to lose.

I weight 534, and I understand that I need to lose weight before being able to have surgery, my frustration is with him tell me one thing and the Nut another, on the eating plan and how much weight I need to lose.

Have you thought about a different doctor? I would call around and see what the other surgeons in your area will do. You might be able to find one that is willing to work with you on a more reasonable weight loss goal. Good luck with this! :)

I think when a doctor is unwilling to give a straight answer, it's usually because they are a bit flexible. I got that "well..." with a head tilt from my surgeon a few times. My surgeon has an excellent record and history, so I trusted him even when he was vague. So a good way to look at this is that he didn't want to give you a hard and fast rule in case you didn't reach it. And in my experience, my nutritionist says a lot of things that are not always correct.

No sugar, no flour, South Beach diet types, seems to be the best way to shrink the stomach area, waist measurements. meat and vegetable. I wouldn't even worry about low fat for now. There is a great book titled "Why We Get Fat" the author is amazing. He was on Dr Oz and they didn't agree. Dr Oz thought his cholesterol must be through the roof because he eats eggs bacon and sausage every morning. But the author had it tested after the show and it was a fabulous report.

I'm way off track here. I'm no doctor, so please do your own research. But you can do this. I agree with previous posters, don't get depressed. You can do this! It sounds like they will work with you, you can get there!

My niece's sister-in-law had bypass surgery. She was 500+ lbs and the doctor required that she lose 75lbs before he would operate. But he did make it easier for her to do so, by putting her on a supervised liquid diet. She dropped the weight in record time too.

what was her surgery weight, if you don't mined me asking?

I think that the doctor really has your safety in mind when he says he wants you to lose 100 lbs before surgery. You need to go along with what he says and lose what you can before surgery. I was a hair below 300 (HW 302) when I had my 1st consult and lost 23 in 6 months before surgery, and my surgeon was thrilled with that. I didn't even have to do a pre-op liquid diet...good luck- you can do it!!!

what was her surgery weight, if you don't mined me asking?

thanks all, I'm feeling much better and when I have my next appt with my doctor I'm gonna clarify what he wants me be eating.