Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no drinking BEFORE meals?

I think a lot of these drinking rules are still based on results from the other weight loss surgeries. I believe that is why there is so much variation from the Dr.s, that being said I don't think that with the sleeve it needs to be as long before eating because the bottom of the stomach is still intact in it's designed form and as such liquid should drain out relatively quickly and therefore not effect your eating. But of course I always say you should follow the guidelines set for you by your Dr. but you could always talk to them about it if you have problems with the rule, I bet there is a lot of wiggle room in the rule. Good Luck.

That video on YouTube is about gastric bypass patients who do not have a pyloric valve. They have a small stoma. With VSG our pyloric valve is still intact.

My surgeon says once you are on soft foods, it is okay to drink up to 5 minutes before meals. In fact they encourage you to drink a glass of Water before meals so that you will feel fuller and not eat as much. Then of course no drinking with your meal (that means no Soup, ever, in his practice) and no drinking until 30 minutes after. They all seem to have different rules!

My dr believes in the school of thought that anytime BEFORE is fine, since it goes right thru immediately anyway. There's no liquid in ur stomach by the time the food gets there. He does have a 30-45 mins rule for afterwards. I physically can't drink with my meals or I vomit. Its a great deterrent

I was reading someones blog today and they said they are not allowed to drink 30 minutes before a meal in addition to after. Is this anybody elses rule? What is the reason? I have been drinking pretty much right up until I start eating, but sometimes I think that I am full very quickly because I have too much Water in my stomach for food (if thats possible) and I will notice I get hungry again pretty quickly once I start drinking 30 minutes later. I had decided I was crazy and obsessed with food so I disregarded it, maybe this is the reason?

I think every doctor is different. Mine says I can drink up until I start eating, then wait 30 minutes after eating. I some times stop about ten minutes before and some times I wait 45 minutes or an hour.

Personally I'm at 15 minutes before, but I wait an hour afterwards or I feel sick piling liquids on top of the solid food. For me, it doesn't run through at that point, it just comes back up (TMI).

So I know that the video is geared towards people with RnY, but another part of it is when you drink it essentially hits your pyloric valve which opens up and lets the Water go straight through.

I was sleeved Fri. 9/13 my surgeon made he sign a paper saying I wouldn't drink 30 min b4 or After. The reason was bcuz it would flush everything out to quickly. It needs to stay a lil while.

That's what someone told me anyway! :)

Tc's Ready!

True fact

Im 3 weeks out and Never ever get hungry so i drink some Water or tea after eating doesnt do nothing for me.

to clarify i know i cant drink during or for 30 mins after (which is still really hard but i dont) i just had never heard that you couldnt drink prior to eating. like i said i usually drink right until i start to eat to try to stop myself from being thirsty but i hold out after

That is my rule as well, but im further out now and I can (at least physically. Not sure if im supposed to tho) still cant do after. It makes me want to vomit, which sucks becaue I always need a sip or 2 afrer a meal lol

I always drink right up until meal time but have to wait the dreaded 30 mins after or suffer because it hurts..

I am 3+ years post op. I still wait 30 mins after to drink. But before a meal I try to wait boult it's never timed. This was a hard thing to get use to but it will become habit and I'm a firm believer in doing it will keep you full longer. I also didn't want to do anything that could stretch my new tiny stomach

to clarify i know i cant drink during or for 30 mins after (which is still really hard but i dont) i just had never heard that you couldnt drink prior to eating. like i said i usually drink right until i start to eat to try to stop myself from being thirsty but i hold out after

Mine says stop 30 minutes before and wait until 30 minutes after. Sounds like about half of us were told that rule as well.

I was told to follow the 30-30-30 rule. It's hard sometimes, as I used to drink allot of liquids when I ate before my sleeve. But it gets easier every day.