Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long will the scars be obvious?

Im four months out and my scars are still red. When will they "disappear" aka, blend in with the miles of stretch marks on my tummy? Thanks!

Healing is as individual as we are. Over time they will fade, but there is no "normal". Some people heal beautifully, some people get horrible keloids. ask your surgeon for a recommendation on what you can use. the products for scar healing like mederma supposedly work ok. It is really one of those things that takes time and acceptance.

Mine were very faint after 4 months and completely unnoticable now @ 10 months. Agree with the above poster - every one is different!

I'm going to echo what SleeveNZ and unbesleevable wrote. It depends on the person. I have no visible scars at 9 months out.

I am the whitest shade of white and mine started fading a lot around month 6. Before that, they were really noticeable. They are light pink now and I would imagine they are going to fade away to nothing like my other abdominal surgeries.

I'm whiter than the whitest shade of white. I like to say translucent haha! I'm 10 months out and scars have faded to pink but still very noticeable.

Well I guess being hairy has been paid off for once for me.

I had a TT a couple of years ago. My surgeon suggested using silicone sheets to reduce scaring and to aid in healing. Since this worked so well to flatten my TT scar I decided to try using silicone nipple covers on my sleeve scars. So far they seem to be working very well to reduce redness and flatten the scars. An added bonus is that they keep the scar from getting dry and pulling.

Silicone nipple covers are not very inexpensive. I ordered several pair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RDGDPQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Over here' date=' it's 5 keloids! And guess what I will take five more for that surgery[/quote']

Did you get treatment for your keloids? Steroid injections?

After my attempted WLS in 2007, I still have lots of scarring. Maybe the scars are worse because I never lost the weight, and my excess weight put strain on the incision sights and they stretched- because I had a laparoscopic converted to an open procedure, I had staples everywhere. The scars aren't keloid but they widened. Looks like I'll have several more but I really don't mind at this point... We'll see what happens after actual weight loss this time! BTW, I had used mederma for a different scar and it didn't help so much but steroid injections did. You may want to consult a dermatologist, maybe there is a prescription strength topical that can help?

I had a TT a couple of years ago. My surgeon suggested using silicone sheets to reduce scaring and to aid in healing. Since this worked so well to flatten my TT scar I decided to try using silicone nipple covers on my sleeve scars. So far they seem to be working very well to reduce redness and flatten the scars. An added bonus is that they keep the scar from getting dry and pulling.

Silicone nipple covers are not very inexpensive. I ordered several pair.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RDGDPQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good plan- wonder if they'd help older scars?

Im four months out and my scars are still red. When will they "disappear" aka' date=' blend in with the miles of stretch marks on my tummy? Thanks![/quote']

Just say you got in a bar fight lol

Good plan- wonder if they'd help older scars?

Silicone sheets are also used to treat pre-existing older scars.

I have a small older scar I am treating the same way as my new ones. After only a couple of weeks, the old scar is already lighter in color and appears to be flattening.