Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

members update

Thanks Laura for reaching out to me! I started doing the 5:2 in July' date=' dropped 7 pounds, my scheduled got crazy and I haven't been posting. I also couldn't access the group on my ipad, but I just tried Laura's tip and it truly works!! Glad to see everyone doing well and I will get on here and post. I truly thank Georgia for even introducing this to me thru her posts. I would have never tried it.[/quote']

Glad to hear from you!! Hope things are settling down for you now. Keep up the good work!

Hello my friends, I have returned :)

I was medevac'd to Germany (Landstuhl) for various reasons, I took my tablet along instead of my laptop, good for travelling light, bad for VST app! VST on the tablet SUCKS!! After much patience I could get to the page, but could never click over to another page.

Anyway, it turned out that I did not have a hernia, which will be interesting because that was the reason I applied for worker's comp, so I don't know what they will say now that I didn't have to have a surgery ...

And, it is now no longer a matter of weight loss vanity, regarding my diet, it is now a matter of sustaining my mental and physical health. Although I will still follow the timing of 5:2, I will now also be attempting to do something called the Wahls Protocol, which will be difficult to achieve out here but I will try. It calls for huge amounts of leafy greens, Omega fatty acids, as close to 0 transfats as possible, and concentrated amounts of B and D Vitamin. I need to eat some form of Probiotics every day, flaxseed or another Fiber every day, my B and Omega Vitamins every day ...

Has anyone here ever heard of something called "Leaky Gut" Syndrome? It is on the cutting edge of discovery that is happening right now, connecting GI issues + autoimmune diseases + neurological disorders.

Hiya GT!! Glad you're back and in the pink (mostly?)!! Yes, I have been intensively studying up on GI and autoimmune issues for a couple of years now. It is one of the reasons our household went gluten-free (Celiacs on both sides of our family) and, for me, entirely grain-free almost a year ago now. My husband's autoimmune symptoms have cleared up remarkably in that time, and his Migraines have all but disappeared, which is great. I'm still lobbying my mother to try it, too, for her RA -- especially as her mother is Celiac. Gluten is a major cause/exacerbates leaky gut and other GI problems. It's not just a fad... I also take Probiotics every day, but I tend to limit fibre intake somewhat due to it causing digestive issues (for me).

GT, you're back!!! YAY!

Well, I'm glad you do not have a hernia, and what can the military (sorry forget which branch you are) do to you? You had symptoms that turned out to be something different than what the drs. thought, so what are they going to charge you for fees incurred? Argh. I hope you don't catch any flack for that.

I know absolutely nothing about a leaky gut but it doesn't sound nice. Thank goodness for Dee, she sounds like she knows a LOT about it. Whatever you need to do to restore health is your primary concern now. I don't care if you are or aren't doing the 5:2, please stay here and keep posting!

Glad to have you back...

Well, I wouldn't say I'm in the pink, maybe just in a positive headspace today because of my Zoloft, dealing with my diagnosis is a continuous trauma that just has to be dealt with. I am approaching this from the connection of neurological disorders as a result of autoimmune disease as a result of Leaky Gut and other GI issues. It will be most difficult to kick my chocolate habit and I LOATHE green tea, bleechhh.

Welcome back Globetrotter! I am new to the group since you have been gone, but have been on the boards a long time. I can absolutely relate to auto-immune issues - rather than gut, intestine, celiac stuff - I have a lot of severe issues with my skin and my eyes, which have both been diagnosed as auto-immune responses (dyshidrotic eczema - my hands and feet blister badly on the palms and soles, and severe chronic conjunctivitis - infections of the lining of the eye) - currently I have been in remission for a good while (thank goodness!) but the last flare-up I had was devastating. I was on heavy compounded doses of prednisone for a long time which is just awful - talk about weight gain - I literally could not stop eating, and I spent so many months on various steroids that I was run down and worn out.

Shortly after is when I started the year long pre-op journey with starting to change my diet - and by cutting down on the white stuff flours, sugar, rice, wheat in general - I have not seen a flare yet. This is the time of year my body usually starts to trigger, so far so good.

I too take meds to help with my brain chemistry - Buproprion and Clonazepam (hi trauma :) and one of my nutritionists who is always the science gal tells me how those meds have positive impacts for those of us trying to shed pounds.

I think you can get green tea capsule - I should get some of those heh :)

Soooo glad to hear from you,GT! Been thinking and "worrying" over you. Yes, I'm a worrier.

Haven't heard of this but I will be googling as soon as I finis toying this!

Take care. Do what they say. Be good!!!!! Well, try anyway. :)

@ Chimera, Buproprion, also known as buspar? I was on that and had to get off, it gave me unending excruciating diarrhea :( and also did not help, it just made me an emotionless robot. So far the Zoloft seems to be helping although I'm about as sexual as a turnip :/

Steroids are also considered a first response for my DX but I will not do them, the toll far outstrips the benefits. Yesterday was a feed day and I had a mocha Protein Shake w/ flaxseed, all my Vitamins, some green tea, and my probiotic caps. I had a humongous salad of dark greens, at least 3-4 loose cups worth, over the course of the afternoon, and for dinner I had some sardines packed in olive oil. I was pretty proud of myself, until ... we had to go out to a friends' going away party and I had a piece of naan with honey and feta, then later for reasons I cannot explain I ate a small ice cream bar v_v very sad. But I'll try again today, have already had my shake with flaxseed, am about to have my vitamins and tea, then will go load up on my greens.

Brought a cold back with me from Germany so not hitting the gym yet.

Globe it is good to see you back. It must be hard getting used a new eating regime. I wish you well.

Glad your back girl. Can you get greens at the local markets? I am growing kale, collards and beets for my winter green consumption. The whole gut microb topic is so interesting, science is starting to think the gut microbe/ intestinal tract IS our immune system. Got to keep the microbes happy! Probiotics are mostly there to feed the dairy microbes, so the flax seeds and other fibers are good to feed other microbes. (My understanding...)

Glad your back girl. Can you get greens at the local markets? I am growing kale' date=' collards and beets for my winter green consumption. The whole gut microb topic is so interesting, science is starting to think the gut microbe/ intestinal tract IS our immune system. Got to keep the microbes happy! Probiotics are mostly there to feed the dairy microbes, so the flax seeds and other fibers are good to feed other microbes. (My understanding...)[/sup']

I have GOT to go get my pro and prebiotics. U have recommendations just need to get them purchased! I'm not a big green Water. Never have been so I'll have to get mine in pill form. I have been adding them to Soups but probably all nutrients cooked out. :(

Also glad you are back Globe! i often feel that you are in about the toughest situation and still manage to be so successful. You inspire me!

I have to say, i am an imperfect 5:2 participant. Thursday, my fast day, I went to a baby shower...argghhh. I avoided the sugar, but did eat some meat, cheese and veggies. I know I went over 500, but you know what... I am reveling in bouncing between about 150-153 instead of 160-163 that I was back just 2 months ago. Even being less then perfect, this thing really works for me. I think part of it is that it tends to encourage me to eat less even on my normal days.

I went into the office yesterday, and saw a lady I haven't seen in about 2-3 months. She is quite heavy, but when I lost my initial say 125# was just joyous for me. Yesterday she said "I can see you just get fatter and fatter". Of course, she was kidding, but I was sort of taken aback at first. The clothes I wore in Feb - when I hit goal range of 156-158 - are too big for me now even though my weight hasn't changed that much. Muscles are rearranging I guess and people are noticing that I look different even though i don't really notice it too much. The tone of her voice was not nearly as supportive feeling as in the past, but I don't let that bother me. I do what I do and just trying to be healthy. It was interesting though.

Also glad you are back Globe! i often feel that you are in about the toughest situation and still manage to be so successful. You inspire me! I have to say' date=' i am an imperfect 5:2 participant. Thursday, my fast day, I went to a baby shower...argghhh. I avoided the sugar, but did eat some meat, cheese and veggies. I know I went over 500, but you know what... I am reveling in bouncing between about 150-153 instead of 160-163 that I was back just 2 months ago. Even being less then perfect, this thing really works for me. I think part of it is that it tends to encourage me to eat less even on my normal days. I went into the office yesterday, and saw a lady I haven't seen in about 2-3 months. She is quite heavy, but when I lost my initial say 125# was just joyous for me. Yesterday she said "I can see you just get fatter and fatter". Of course, she was kidding, but I was sort of taken aback at first. The clothes I wore in Feb - when I hit goal range of 156-158 - are too big for me now even though my weight hasn't changed that much. Muscles are rearranging I guess and people are noticing that I look different even though i don't really notice it too much. The tone of her voice was not nearly as supportive feeling as in the past, but I don't let that bother me. I do what I do and just trying to be healthy. It was interesting though.[/quote']

You are exactly correct, Jane! We are imperfectly perfect in our approach to 5:2 and weight loss management and living!!! And yes, they are all happen when you start losing them when they realize maybe we ARE gonna keep it off and work it, not so much! bahahaha.

GT, Buspar is Buspirone hydrochloride (anti-anxiety) - Bupropion is Wellbutrin (anti-depressant) - what I was prescribed when I quite smoking and my nutritionist says it is also great for helping with one's weight loss. My Klonapin/clonazepam is an anti-anxiety med (taken in very specific situations - i.e. car trips - I have severe PTSD in the passenger seat and will go into orbit without this medication - took me 12 years before I finally got the medication so I could join my own family on holiday vacations.) Sorry for the wall of text - I am using internet explorer - I will go switch to chrome so I can edit...

I am glad you're back Globe! I put some stuff in the box that is more snacky type but you can give it away.

Do you have trouble getting the things you need? Probiotics, Greens?