Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my psychological evaluation a week ago and it could not have gone more wrong. I'm going through the Veterans Affairs Medical Center for WLS. I've been going there for health care for the last three years including for counseling. My past came up and I could feel the atmosphere in the room change. Well my history came back to haunt me. I was treated for PTSD and depression a few yrs ago. After a few months I stopped going for various reasons. That also came up. About an hour ago I received a phone call from the psyche doctor. Turns out it was worse than I imagine it to be. He recommend six to twelve months of counseling!! I was speechless. He went down the list of reasons and how its more about me being able to handle stress and be stable before surgery can be referred. I tried to explain my past has nothing to do with my ability to function and deal with stress now. Even asked if I could still have the surgery while at the same time going through therapy. He wasn't open to it. NEVER again will I be honest and open to a psychologist. A 45 minute conversation along with a vague T/F questionnaire is not enough to determine whether I'm mentally prepared to handle a huge life change. Been there, done that and I'm still here. I had no choice but to agree to counseling in hopes of one day getting the sleeve at the VA Hospital.

After that I immediate call the office of my bariatric coordinator. I asked if I could get a oustiside psychologist that specialize in WLS or do I have to use the in-house psychologist. The lady that answer the phone said that was a good question and she'll have to get back to me with the answer. So right now I'm venting, upset and waiting. If they won't accept an outside source then I'm going to ask if I can get a second opinion from another in-house doctor or speak with the surgeon to see if a psych eval fail the final answer to proceed with WLS.

I wonder if they are instructed to tell everybody that, to delay/cancel paying out the surgery money.

Of course it will depend on your coverage I suppose but I did not use the Surgeons Drs for any of my pre-op. in fact, for my psych eval I used a licensed counselor, not a Dr. I cleared it prior to keeping my appt.

Was it because of the ER non prescribed hydrocodone thing?

Will they have that in all of your records for every doctor?

I may go against the general consensus here but having some counseling under your belt might not be a bad thing..

I have worked for years with one before doing this and still need her guidance now as things come up. This surgery and the weight loss can bring up lots of things that food covered up.

They tried to pull this crap on me too. I ran back to my regular psychiatrist and cried and threw a fit and told him that he should know me since I've been going to him for like 5 years and this new guy that interviewed me/tested me knew NOTHING about me. There was all kinds of things that came up on the paperwork he wrote about me that I had no clue what he was even talking about. My psychiatrist agreed with me and spoke with the other guy and got him to "re-test" me after I saw a counselor twice. All of it probably delayed my surgery 2 months. But they wanted me to do an additional 6 months to a year of counseling before they would approve me. But that was before I pitched a fit. So don't be silent about this. It's a joke, and I've proved that post op I'm able to follow surgeon's orders and eat properly, etc. etc.

They tried to pull this crap on me too. I ran back to my regular psychiatrist and cried and threw a fit and told him that he should know me since I've been going to him for like 5 years and this new guy that interviewed me/tested me knew NOTHING about me. There was all kinds of things that came up on the paperwork he wrote about me that I had no clue what he was even talking about. My psychiatrist agreed with me and spoke with the other guy and got him to "re-test" me after I saw a counselor twice. All of it probably delayed my surgery 2 months. But they wanted me to do an additional 6 months to a year of counseling before they would approve me. But that was before I pitched a fit. So don't be silent about this. It's a joke, and I've proved that post op I'm able to follow surgeon's orders and eat properly, etc. etc.

I agree with Kchristian!! Be a strong advocate for yourself. It sounds like you were already headed down that path any way. Keep it up and check every avenue you can possible use. I have 2 son n laws in the military and I can never ever say thank you enough to all our military men and women!!

I truly wish you the best of luck!! Please keep us posted!

I wonder if they are instructed to tell everybody that' date=' to delay/cancel paying out the surgery money.[/quote']

I swear I was thinking the same thing. Wish there was a way to find out or talk to others that had the surgery or trying to at the VA Center.

Of course it will depend on your coverage I suppose but I did not use the Surgeons Drs for any of my pre-op. in fact' date=' for my psych eval I used a licensed counselor, not a Dr. I cleared it prior to keeping my appt.[/quote']

Right now everything is covered by the VA Heath System at a reduced cost for everything. My co-pay is high at 50$ though. They do a means test every year.

The issue is that everything is done internally and it never occurred to mean to go outside the VA Center. They have everything. Now I'm hoping and wishing they will be open to outside options. It's the government and they can be pretty anal about stuff.

Was it because of the ER non prescribed hydrocodone thing?

Will they have that in all of your records for every doctor?

I may go against the general consensus here but having some counseling under your belt might not be a bad thing..

I have worked for years with one before doing this and still need her guidance now as things come up. This surgery and the weight loss can bring up lots of things that food covered up.

I asked and the doc said no since I had blood tests done the following months with nothing in my system. He mention they had to make sure I'll follow the post opt instructions etc. I believe it's more about me quitting therapy twice and now somehow that means I can't stick to things.

I'm all for counseling but I'm don't see why the long waiting period or not being able to do both. Many have hidden issues and can work on them at the same time handle a stressful life change.

I know it is devastating to get the news but as a therapist and a person that has had VSG I concur with the psychologist. This is not an easy lifestyle and with all the hormonal fluctuations a person needs to be stable. It doesn't mean you can't have the surgery it means partaking in therapy to develop coping skills to deal with the challenges of what's to come in all aspects of our life. You will have the surgery but will be more prepared. It's also a food thing too.

They tried to pull this crap on me too. I ran back to my regular psychiatrist and cried and threw a fit and told him that he should know me since I've been going to him for like 5 years and this new guy that interviewed me/tested me knew NOTHING about me. There was all kinds of things that came up on the paperwork he wrote about me that I had no clue what he was even talking about. My psychiatrist agreed with me and spoke with the other guy and got him to "re-test" me after I saw a counselor twice. All of it probably delayed my surgery 2 months. But they wanted me to do an additional 6 months to a year of counseling before they would approve me. But that was before I pitched a fit. So don't be silent about this. It's a joke' date=' and I've proved that post op I'm able to follow surgeon's orders and eat properly, etc. etc.[/quote']

Thanks so much for the advice. It goes against my nature not to fight for what I believe in. I was at a standstill on where to go if a outside psy eval will not be accepted. Now I can try something similar to what you did if my old counselor is still there and available. It amazes me that the MMPI test is so highly praised and relied on when the questions are so general. Half the population that take the test should be diagnose with the same issues. Don't get me started on the interview. If everyone had to put off surgery for life stress issues there wouldn't be any.

I wish you all the luck in the world and thank you for serving our country.

The year will actually go by much faster than you think. I was supposed to have surgery 7 months ago but due to wait lists, hoops, etc. with the insurance company it took over a year. Sure 7 months ago I could have had the same experience I'm having now (or even better)...

But, I am so thankful for the extra time. I've learned alot about myself in this time. I've done work that I know deep down I wouldn't have been able to do post-op. I've also found myself much more prepared to take on the challenges I've had, thanks to the longer pre-op period.

Please advocate for yourself, but also realize sometimes the things we need are the exact opposite of the things we want. Hope everything works out for you in the end!

I agree with Kchristian!! Be a strong advocate for yourself. It sounds like you were already headed down that path any way. Keep it up and check every avenue you can possible use. I have 2 son n laws in the military and I can never ever say thank you enough to all our military men and women!!

I truly wish you the best of luck!! Please keep us posted!

Thank you and I will!

I'm not in exactly your situation. However, I have to wait 6 months due to insurance requirements. So, similar I guess. I was frustrated at first and wanted to buck the system. But then I decided to look at this as a good thing. It is giving me time to work on behavior modifications now. Have started eating without drinking at the same time. Have started counting my chewing and slowing down my meals. Recognizing when I want an inappropriate food choice and more importantly WHY I want an inappropriate food choice.

I am hoping that when I do get my sleeve, it will make the life alterations and adjustments that will be necessary less ginormous.

Am sure this doesn't help with your frame of mind right now. I understand wanting it now. But if it's impossible to have now, maybe there's a reason that will be to your benefit?

Good luck. Wish you the best whichever way it goes!