Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not in exactly your situation. However' date=' I have to wait 6 months due to insurance requirements. So, similar I guess. I was frustrated at first and wanted to buck the system. But then I decided to look at this as a good thing. It is giving me time to work on behavior modifications now. Have started eating without drinking at the same time. Have started counting my chewing and slowing down my meals. Recognizing when I want an inappropriate food choice and more importantly WHY I want an inappropriate food choice.

I am hoping that when I do get my sleeve, it will make the life alterations and adjustments that will be necessary less ginormous.

Am sure this doesn't help with your frame of mind right now. I understand wanting it now. But if it's impossible to have now, maybe there's a reason that will be to your benefit?

Good luck. Wish you the best whichever way it goes![/quote']

Before I could even be consider for surgery I had to complete a weight management program called MOVE. It was for three months and I also had to lose 10 percent of my weight. It's similar to the 6 months requirement most insurance have. I actually started the process in December of 2012.

After all this time I got a good grasp on what type of eater I am and what my issues with food are. I acknowledge them and now I'm ready to do something about them through WLS and therapy. If I'm unable to get a second opinion from a outside psychologist then I will consider Mexico. I always consider it an option but wanted to see if I could get it stateside first. My doctors may consider that trying to bypass the system. Maybe I can mention it to my counselor and she'll be so concern/against it that she go ahead and put in a referral right away. Something similar happened with my PCP. He told me no and gave me info about the hospital Bariatric program.

Any different point of view is always helpful. Right now its just hard to see reason when the disappointment and upset is fresh.

Thanks so much for the advice. It goes against my nature not to fight for what I believe in. I was at a standstill on where to go if a outside psy eval will not be accepted. Now I can try something similar to what you did if my old counselor is still there and available. It amazes me that the MMPI test is so highly praised and relied on when the questions are so general. Half the population that take the test should be diagnose with the same issues. Don't get me started on the interview. If everyone had to put off surgery for life stress issues there wouldn't be any.

I wanted to say that I didn't mean the psych stuff in general is a joke! I was talking specifically about the crap that they put in my personal report that was wrong. They had this part about the "abuse" I'd suffered in my childhood. Um, there was no abuse in my childhood. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the guy was talking about because it sounded like he'd mixed up someone else's interview with mine. Oh, and don't get me started on that 1000 question test. Yeah, I've definitely been on the cover of a magazine 6 times in the past year - absolutely!

I just knew they were 100% wrong about me. So I fought & won. I am totally for counseling, I've been seeing counselors on and off for 13 years now - they've definitely helped me work through a ton of issues and I plan on continuing my counseling now because there are things that I've noticed post op that I didn't know about pre op :)

Best of luck to you! I don't think anybody should just jump into this surgery and while having to wait almost 8 months wasn't fun and got annoying at times, I tried to make the best of it and learn about myself and why I ate like I did, etc - so in the end it was a good thing!

I had my psychological evaluation a week ago and it could not have gone more wrong. I'm going through the Veterans Affairs Medical Center for WLS. I've been going there for health care for the last three years including for counseling. My past came up and I could feel the atmosphere in the room change. Well my history came back to haunt me. I was treated for PTSD and depression a few yrs ago. After a few months I stopped going for various reasons. That also came up. About an hour ago I received a phone call from the psyche doctor. Turns out it was worse than I imagine it to be. He recommend six to twelve months of counseling!! I was speechless. He went down the list of reasons and how its more about me being able to handle stress and be stable before surgery can be referred. I tried to explain my past has nothing to do with my ability to function and deal with stress now. Even asked if I could still have the surgery while at the same time going through therapy. He wasn't open to it. NEVER again will I be honest and open to a psychologist. A 45 minute conversation along with a vague T/F questionnaire is not enough to determine whether I'm mentally prepared to handle a huge life change. Been there' date=' done that and I'm still here. I had no choice but to agree to counseling in hopes of one day getting the sleeve at the VA Hospital.

After that I immediate call the office of my bariatric coordinator. I asked if I could get a oustiside psychologist that specialize in WLS or do I have to use the in-house psychologist. The lady that answer the phone said that was a good question and she'll have to get back to me with the answer. So right now I'm venting, upset and waiting. If they won't accept an outside source then I'm going to ask if I can get a second opinion from another in-house doctor or speak with the surgeon to see if a psych eval fail the final answer to proceed with WLS.[/quote']

I feel your pain. After I took my test, I got a call from my weight loss center stating that I needed to stop all meetings and classes immediately and seek counseling because I have an eating disorder. I laughed and told them there must be a mistake. Apparently, I indicated that I am an emotional eater, which is true, but I also accidentally indicated somewhere in there that I binged and purged within the last three months. Now, I remember taking that test on no sleep coming off of a 13 hour night shift...but I don't remember putting that down. Anyway, the social worker from the counseling center kept saying how dangerous my behavior was and wouldn't listen. I kept explaining that I am a nurse, I understand eating disorders and their harmful effects, especially on a procedure like this. I explained this was a mistake - but nada - it was like talking to a brick wall. So, I went to counseling. On the first visit, the counselor said there was no way I had an eating disorder. But, she said I have very high anxiety issues and she wanted to see me back. Now, this lady delved into my past and all of my childhood etc..way more than any other person that I know that has had this procedure. Way more that necessary in my opinion. After talking to her though, I realized she was right. I do live my life in a state of high anxiety. So, I went back for my second appointment. Now, somewhere along the way, she got to talking about self esteem. I made the comment that no matter how much weight I lose, that I'm never truly going to feel skinny. What I meant by that, was that I have been put down my whole life and made to feel worthless. I have no self esteem. I am used to seeing the fat girl in the mirror. I don't know what it will be like to look in the mirror and see the skinny girl. I can't even imagine that at this point. But, maybe it will be easier than I think. Once you're in the mindset of low self esteem, its hard to see yourself as pretty, thin, hot, beautiful, etc..But, she immediately started thinking about body dysmorphic syndrome. This was right at the end of the session. I asked her if she thought she could send paper work in to the center to clear me for surgery and she said she wasn't sure. she said my comment concerned her. I tried to clarify, but it was end of session, so I didn't really get a chance to. So, I have to go back yet again....

I may have daddy issues, and I may have high anxiety levels. I may even have emotional eating issues and low self esteem...but my anxiety is generally related to work situations and things that have to do with the wellbeing of my family. The emotional eating stems from the anxiety and the low self esteem is attached to my weight. I can't see any reason why I would be incapable of following directions, dealing with stress, handling a life change (Heavens knows I've handled enough of those), following a diet, etc....I am just getting really frustrated. :(

I feel your pain. After I took my test' date=' I got a call from my weight loss center stating that I needed to stop all meetings and classes immediately and seek counseling because I have an eating disorder. I laughed and told them there must be a mistake. Apparently, I indicated that I am an emotional eater, which is true, but I also accidentally indicated somewhere in there that I binged and purged within the last three months. Now, I remember taking that test on no sleep coming off of a 13 hour night shift...but I don't remember putting that down. Anyway, the social worker from the counseling center kept saying how dangerous my behavior was and wouldn't listen. I kept explaining that I am a nurse, I understand eating disorders and their harmful effects, especially on a procedure like this. I explained this was a mistake - but nada - it was like talking to a brick wall. So, I went to counseling. On the first visit, the counselor said there was no way I had an eating disorder. But, she said I have very high anxiety issues and she wanted to see me back. Now, this lady delved into my past and all of my childhood etc..way more than any other person that I know that has had this procedure. Way more that necessary in my opinion. After talking to her though, I realized she was right. I do live my life in a state of high anxiety. So, I went back for my second appointment. Now, somewhere along the way, she got to talking about self esteem. I made the comment that no matter how much weight I lose, that I'm never truly going to feel skinny. What I meant by that, was that I have been put down my whole life and made to feel worthless. I have no self esteem. I am used to seeing the fat girl in the mirror. I don't know what it will be like to look in the mirror and see the skinny girl. I can't even imagine that at this point. But, maybe it will be easier than I think. Once you're in the mindset of low self esteem, its hard to see yourself as pretty, thin, hot, beautiful, etc..But, she immediately started thinking about body dysmorphic syndrome. This was right at the end of the session. I asked her if she thought she could send paper work in to the center to clear me for surgery and she said she wasn't sure. she said my comment concerned her. I tried to clarify, but it was end of session, so I didn't really get a chance to. So, I have to go back yet again....

I may have daddy issues, and I may have high anxiety levels. I may even have emotional eating issues and low self esteem...but my anxiety is generally related to work situations and things that have to do with the wellbeing of my family. The emotional eating stems from the anxiety and the low self esteem is attached to my weight. I can't see any reason why I would be incapable of following directions, dealing with stress, handling a life change (Heavens knows I've handled enough of those), following a diet, etc....I am just getting really frustrated. :([/quote']

Could many of us have got to where we are now weight wise if we didn't have some of eating disorder? If we're able to follow and maintain normal eating habits then WLS wouldn't be needed In My Opinion. I don't know about others but some of my friends, family and I always dealt with some stressful situation throughout our lives. It didn't prevent them nor me from dealing with other life issues and changes. We all know that life doesn't hand you one problem at a time. So when a doctor tell you that you have one too issues therefore not able to handle one more it can leave you frustrated. There is no use in trying to change a psychologist mind. They think in black and white, everyone is the same until they get to know you and diagnose you differently.

My Bariatric coordinator still haven't gotten back with me. My psych evaluation doctor already had me referred back to my old counselors. I have a appointment. Monday. My plan of action is to cooperate and admit that doctor know best. From that point on I will tell them everything I know they want to hear. After a few sessions I will tell them treatment is going well and I'm not depressed, anxious or traumatized by the past anymore and whatever issue they claim is a problem. That once I acknowledge I had these issues a burden has been lifted. The doctors want to see you make an effort, be able to follow rules and are stable enough. I will make them believe it by their standards because mine wasn't good enough. After a month I will ask for a referral for WLS. I can't tell you what to do only what I know will work for me because I don't believe I have any real problems that not always going to be a part of my life and I know I'm capable of handling something as big as WLS. If you keep telling them past hang ups it will only be one more thing to hinder you in getting your surgery. Unless of course you think it's relevant and need addressed. Only you truly know. All their doing is guessing.

Could many of us have got to where we are now weight wise if we didn't have some of eating disorder? If we're able to follow and maintain normal eating habits then WLS wouldn't be needed In My Opinion. I don't know about others but some of my friends' date=' family and I always dealt with some stressful situation throughout our lives. It didn't prevent them nor me from dealing with other life issues and changes. We all know that life doesn't hand you one problem at a time. So when a doctor tell you that you have one too issues therefore not able to handle one more it can leave you frustrated. There is no use in trying to change a psychologist mind. They think in black and white, everyone is the same until they get to know you and diagnose you differently.

My Bariatric coordinator still haven't gotten back with me. My psych evaluation doctor already had me referred back to my old counselors. I have a appointment. Monday. My plan of action is to cooperate and admit that doctor know best. From that point on I will tell them everything I know they want to hear. After a few sessions I will tell them treatment is going well and I'm not depressed, anxious or traumatized by the past anymore and whatever issue they claim is a problem. That once I acknowledge I had these issues a burden has been lifted. The doctors want to see you make an effort, be able to follow rules and are stable enough. I will make them believe it by their standards because mine wasn't good enough. After a month I will ask for a referral for WLS. I can't tell you what to do only what I know will work for me because I don't believe I have any real problems that not always going to be a part of my life and I know I'm capable of handling something as big as WLS. If you keep telling them past hang ups it will only be one more thing to hinder you in getting your surgery. Unless of course you think it's relevant and need addressed. Only you truly know. All their doing is guessing.[/quote']

Absolutely! I agree. I feel like every time I try to answer a question about my past in any sort of open manner, it seems to hinder this process even further. I have no hesitation about getting this surgery or my ability to comply with any of the requirements. I think I will take the same approach as you. I am going to just tell her things are going great - because they really are - and be very vague about any other questions about my past. I'm definitely not going to open any more doors for them to pry into.

Good luck on Monday!

Update: it's been months but for any that are curious I requested a revaluation. The person who did my first one boss did the second one and I passed. Best advice be your own advocate. Two doctors can talk and evaluate you and come out with different interpretations. Next up is for me to contact my Bariatric coordinator.

Thank you for the update! I am so glad out worked out.

Wish I would have seen this last week! I opened up a bit too much also and he wants me to continue counseling. . Well I went to him to get answers. . Thats why i opened up! WRONG! They dont give amswers, theu give judgments!

Wish I would have seen this last week! I opened up a bit too much also and he wants me to continue counseling. . Well I went to him to get answers. . Thats why i opened up! WRONG! They dont give amswers, theu give judgments!

The thing I don't get the most is what do they expect? No one I know have a problem or stress free life. Yet if you mention these everyday factors your suddenly too depressed to handle surgery and need therapy until stable. So many tell you just to be honest otherwise your not mentally ready but I don't believe that. Obese ppl are general depressed and have some issues that head docs seem to judge harshly. Get out of her! Sorry you experience this too. Did he tell you how long you'll have to be in counseling?

Wow! I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you! I had a similar fear, so I told my regular shrink, whom I have seen for clinical depression for almost ten years, that I insisted he do the eval. I figured he knows me! I know that depression can be a hurdle for psych clearance and wanted to be sure it was clear that mine was well managed. He had to write the clearance letter that he seldom did, so that took a day or two, but was good. I know what you mean about being honest, I do think ultimately being honest is the right thing to do, but being open? Even after ten years with my shrink, that door remains partially closed, I think he knows that!

I am on an Army post. This phy women made me so mad Im surprised I even got sleeved I yelled at this women for telling me my husband would sleep around bc I had become do fat.. But in the end my dr made the call to do it NOT the phy. She fished and looked for reasons to not do it. I have never filed an ICEE but I did on her, if you feel he was wrong file one. They only help never hurt. And if he understands PTSD after math truly he would know he was not helping you by prolonging you getting sleeved. My best friend in the whole world had and still has PTSD she was sleeved no problem. Hers dates back to 2004 Iraq hand to hand fight where she was sent back home with a TBI. Her sleeve helped her cope and not turn to food.

I am on an Army post. This phy women made me so mad Im surprised I even got sleeved I yelled at this women for telling me my husband would sleep around bc I had become do fat.. But in the end my dr made the call to do it NOT the phy. She fished and looked for reasons to not do it. I have never filed an ICEE but I did on her, if you feel he was wrong file one. They only help never hurt. And if he understands PTSD after math truly he would know he was not helping you by prolonging you getting sleeved. My best friend in the whole world had and still has PTSD she was sleeved no problem. Hers dates back to 2004 Iraq hand to hand fight where she was sent back home with a TBI. Her sleeve helped her cope and not turn to food.< /p>

That comment about your husband will cheat because your fat was unprofessional, uncalled for and offensive! Good that you reported her. Professionals these days act like they don't know what boundaries are. If I was in your situation there would've been one hell of a show down. The issue with the doctor that did my initial evaluation I believe was that he held the past against me. Like your friend I suffered from PTSD. He assumed because I didn't get counseling from a professional I was stuck in the past and not over. For some reasons doctors are bias and think you can't get past depression, stress, addictions etc without their help. They fail to realize that family and friends support along with time can just as beneficial. There were also some miscommunication but overall I think his assessment of me was inaccurate and off but not intentionally harmful. He seem the conservative type and probably thought he was really helping me. I'm glad you had at least your doc in your corner to fight for you.