Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slice of pizza

I couldn't even think of eating a slice of pizza at 7 weeks. That must have taken hours to finish.

At 7 weeks I was on mushies and could barely finish 5 bites.

At my 6 weeks post-op appointment, my dr. cleared me to eat anything I wanted. My husband and I went to our favorite local Italian place and ordered a medium pizza. I ate 1 piece of thin crust, supreme pizza and I did fine and felt no guilt for eating it. Before surgery we would have finished off the whole medium pizza at the restaurant. That night we took home more than half so I feel that I am not going deprive myself of things that I like. I am just not going to eat the whole pizza.

I did finally try a slice of pizza. I ate the whole slice crust and all. I felt fine but I was full and very satisfied. I am not saying that because I want to glamorize eating pizza. It was good, but I did not feel like I used to when I got pizza. I used to eat 3 large NY slices for one thing. I did eat a very healthy rest of the day and for the week actually as well. I lost 2.1 lbs this week even after that slice. I didn't get the surgery so that I couldn't eat, just so I could exercise better Portion Control. I now think of what I am eating, how much of it I am eating and if it's not something that's terribly healthy for me I judge if it's worth it and what I need to do to balance it out like exercising more or making sure I'm eating healthy as a whole. So, if anyone was wondering, I did have a slice, it was tasty and I still lost more weight this week.

I have noticed there seem to be two very different kind of sleevers on the boards, those that only eat really healthy things, and those that eat whatever they want in moderation. I am wondering if one is more successful than the other. I am assuming that one day I will want to eat and feel hunger again, and my plan at that point was not to deprive myself of all food that I enjoy but not to eat all the food in the world. I dont think that Im fat because I eat pizza, I think im fat because I eat pizzas, not a piece but multiple pieces, sometimes an entire pie in one sitting. I feel like if I manage to turn that into a piece I will have to lose weight or something is really wrong with my body. Of course I am 3 days out and the idea of drinking all my Protein Shakes is a daunting one to me, but I hope one day I can eat a piece of pizza again and not be a fat ass because of it.

I have noticed there seem to be two very different kind of sleevers on the boards' date=' those that only eat really healthy things, and those that eat whatever they want in moderation. [/quote']

I agree. I think the important thing is for people to follow their nutritionist/surgeon recommendations and that we each make our own decisions, so at 7 weeks I will still be on soft food and will not be eating pizza but I can't guarantee it will never happen again. If it be the cauliflower crust, thin or just toppings, I am likely to have it again in my life. Moderation is a must.

Wow, I am just jealous that you can eat a slice of pizza 7 weeks post op. I will be 8 weeks post op this Wednesday and I can not get more than 1-2 oz of food in at any time and still struggle to keep liquids down some days. I dream of just being able to eat anything without nausea and vomiting. I think that like some others on this forum have expressed, that the sleeve is a tool that we use to moderate our food intake. I don't believe that you will go to food hell or gain weight from eating a small slice of pizza. I hope you enjoyed it for all of us who cannot eat right now. Now I have to go find this cauliflower crust recipe for the day that I can eat food again :) .

Thanks D...

I eat pizza at 10 months out. Have been since prob month 4 or 5. I actually eat whatever I want in MODERATION. I have lost 120lbs in 10 months .

I am not trying to be mean or anything, but you should check out the vets forum and read about all the people who have put a lot of weight back on.

You will definitely lose weight with the sleeve. the thing to learn is , how to keep it off.

Acascuse me?

I would be more concerned not at the fact you COULD eat a slice of pizza but your CHOICE TO eat a slice of pizza at 7 weeks. I am not trying to be preachy or whatever, but at 7 weeks, I do not think it is a good idea to try and test the limits. Sometimes we all slip a little and that is OK every once in a while but please try to not have this be a regular thing.

I am not trying to be mean or anything' date=' but you should check out the vets forum and read about all the people who have put a lot of weight back on.

You will definitely lose weight with the sleeve. the thing to learn is , how to keep it off.[/quote']

Thanks I will definitely check it out.

I met with my nutritionist and surgeon this week. They were extremely pleased with my weight loss especially given my lack of muscle loss. I asked what they thought about having a slice of pizza. Each said that if i got in my Protein. (70 gms) and Water for the day it was fine. My doc also said that having the occasional indulgence was in his opinion a better habit than trying to be perfect all the time. This was of course with the caveat that i was keeping up with everything else. The 2x i had a slice i lost weight that week and met all my goals as well. I think everyone is different. but check out what your healthcare team thinks about it and be a little leary of others on any forum whose opinions maybe moreinfluenced by their own fears of how theyare doing than on any studies ormedical practice such as your bariatric doc and their team.

I think the issue is that once you get in all of your Water and Protein and throw in a few veggies, there generally isn't a lot of room or time left to eat junk food or food that isn't on your plan. When we do that, it usually means we've relinquished something our body needs, which isn't a good trade-off.

I have noticed there seem to be two very different kind of sleevers on the boards' date=' those that only eat really healthy things, and those that eat whatever they want in moderation. I am wondering if one is more successful than the other. I am assuming that one day I will want to eat and feel hunger again, and my plan at that point was not to deprive myself of all food that I enjoy but not to eat all the food in the world. I dont think that Im fat because I eat pizza, I think im fat because I eat pizzas, not a piece but multiple pieces, sometimes an entire pie in one sitting. I feel like if I manage to turn that into a piece I will have to lose weight or something is really wrong with my body. Of course I am 3 days out and the idea of drinking all my Protein shakes is a daunting one to me, but I hope one day I can eat a piece of pizza again and not be a fat ass because of it.[/quote']

Not sure that one way is more successful than another unless you know what kind of food addiction you have. I'm an abstainer, I try to eat healthy all the time. There is little "in moderation" in my life because if I could moderate my food I wouldn't have needed WLS. I have to make generally healthy choices all the time because I can still over eat the healthy stuff but at least that is less likely to do any major damage on the scale.