Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-workout supplements

Hi guys I have been working out and doing great but I get really tire after a workout and a friend mention having a pre-workout supplement has anyone tried one before, would love some feedback, Im 5 months out on my sleeve....

I would love to know this as well! I'd also like to know if anyone takes anything post work out. I give it my all while I'm working out and we don't consume very many calories in a day.

Start simple. BCAA's, creatine maybe if you're lifting at least 3 days a week. N.O. Xplode works if you're really pushing yourself, not just saying you're pushing yourself but literally feeling like you're going to collapse after a workout due to exhaustion. Many people think they're pushing themselves to a wall and really busting their ass, but then they'll do a few sessions with us and they find the new meaning of "all out." L-Glutamine after the workout will help with soreness, Protein will help with recovery as well.

N.o. Explode is a tough on your stomach because it is a little fizzy (carbonated?). At least that is the experience I had with it several months ago. It might be different now that I am over a year out. I have really enjoyed two other pre work out drinks called c4 and Hyde. I tried jack 3d recently, but for some reason it did not even help me much. Barely felt it. I thought it was weak as a pre workout drink even though I was scooping from the original formula. Everyone else raves about it. I guess we all react differently to these pre workout products. Try out a few different ones to find out which one works for you. It is a good idea to cycle to a different one or take a break every 5 or 6 weeks. You will know when it is time to switch when one scoop turns into two and two scoops turn into three. And so on. Also if you are going to take these, it is a good idea to keep up on your labs every so often.

That's Mark and Fiddie. I'm not power lifting but I do feel like I'm about to pass out when working out because I'm giving it my all with intervals. Maybe ill hold off on pre and post work out supplements. I'm just wondering with such low calories and working out what I consider to be hard for myself if I needed anything to replenish what I've lost.

BCAA may just be enough to help you get through those walls during working out with solid clean energy, strength, stamina and endurance. Catalyst is a good product as is xtend. Do make sure you are wearing a solid well balanced meal before your workout and that you slam a recovery shake afterwards with the amino acids in order to feel like a million bucks the next day. Not sure what your calories are at per day, but you will need to eat up to TDEE in order to have enough energy to fuel your workouts. Your body needs it. I try and eat 7 meals a day, 180 grams Protein, around 2000 calories. It really does work.

I have been hitting the gym hard as well two months in! I was told for better workout results to take in some complex carbs it can be mixed with protein! I was also told by a bodybuilding buddy that a regular small amount of Gatorade has great carbs that help with the workout! I have also added a portion supplement called pro7 34 grams of Protein with amino and fat burner it's the best! It will give you all you need for protein daily I sometimes drink to depending in activity!! I'm loving it

Thank you for the information :) I really appreciate. I love my sleeve but I have found a new love of the GYM too and just need some support because I give it my all. I will look into it and start slow. My fitness pal name is fair2bslimlady feel free to add me.

That's Mark and Fiddie. I'm not power lifting but I do feel like I'm about to pass out when working out because I'm giving it my all with intervals. Maybe ill hold off on pre and post work out supplements. I'm just wondering with such low calories and working out what I consider to be hard for myself if I needed anything to replenish what I've lost.

Everyone can definitely benefit from some timed nutrition after a workout and before, for sure. Don't don't get hyped up in the bodybuilding.com theory that more is better. I've used things in the past that were pushed on me by sales people and in the end, it was just placebo effect. N.O. Xplode and others create a dependancy issue. Your body gets used to them so you have to up the dosage, and you keep upping it until you're at non safe levels of certain minerals and Vitamins, or you're just wasting money on a powder that's not doing anything for you. It's best to find a good group of supplements that do the same thing, but have different reactors so that you can take them until you stopped feeling the effect, and cycle to another product that you know you'll get a boost from.

The best thing, in my opinion, (keep in mind my level of knowledge is NOT in the sleeved field but it's worked great for me) is to use BCAA's before a workout, and Protein afterwards. I've never used gatorade before a workout, the carbs are just from sugar so why would you use gatorade when you can just use something like fruit, high GI carbs and sugar to carry the carbs through the kidney to break down to get insulin going, thus creating an insulin spike to help with energy levels. You can use simple sugars after a workout as well with creatine and Protein, as the sugars will have the same effect, creatine and protein will flow through the muscle capillaries to help with recovery and growth.

I went through a phase of trying just about every product on the shelf, and ended up finding out the hard way the crap is just crap. It doesn't work all the time. When you build up tolerance that's it, you're done. This is about the only time I practice cycling supplements, to keep my body in a pattern of being able to use the supplements without building up a tolerance. I posted my pre workout stack in another thread, it's rather lengthy but I've built that list over years of work, trial and error as a drug free athlete. I've seen guys get busted with some supplements that are legal, but they were taking so much to get a response that their blood and urine levels were so out of whack it caused a negative response on the drug panels. Just imagine how bad your kidneys are working too processing all of this crap. I recommend to guys we train with and who I train to get their kidney function tested at least once every 2 months, creatine itself can wreak havoc on the kidneys if you're not using a quality product, or if you're dosing at an extremely high rate. Just be safe, stay simple.

I meant to say "Thanks" not "that's" in the previous post. Ok I keep reading you guys saying BCAA and of course I have no idea what that is. I guess I should google it! ;) I'm planning on stopping by Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow just to browse their selection.

I do Xtend which is a BCAA pre workout and then follow up post workout with my Protein Drink. My trainer does require that I eat something with at least 30 grams of carbs prior to my training session so that I have the energy stores to get through the workout. It must be working because I just did my body composition scan yesterday and I'm at 18.5% body fat. To hit my ideal body fat I need to lose .4 of a pound and gain in 2 pounds of muscle. Sure feels great compared to where I was over a year ago.

I do Xtend which is a BCAA pre workout and then follow up post workout with my Protein drink. My trainer does require that I eat something with at least 30 grams of carbs prior to my training session so that I have the energy stores to get through the workout. It must be working because I just did my body composition scan yesterday and I'm at 18.5% body fat. To hit my ideal body fat I need to lose .4 of a pound and gain in 2 pounds of muscle. Sure feels great compared to where I was over a year ago.

That's amazing! Congratulations on your progress! :)

if you can, can you post a picture of it, I found different ones and I want to make sure Im looking at the right one, congratulations Karen4729!!!!! I saw you profile and wow you are my hero. I started at 248 and my goal weight is 135 and I cant wait, At -50 I already feel so good and healthy and much more confident especially in the GYM.

Everyone can definitely benefit from some timed nutrition after a workout and before' date=' for sure. Don't don't get hyped up in the bodybuilding.com theory that more is better. I've used things in the past that were pushed on me by sales people and in the end, it was just placebo effect. N.O. Xplode and others create a dependancy issue. Your body gets used to them so you have to up the dosage, and you keep upping it until you're at non safe levels of certain minerals and Vitamins, or you're just wasting money on a powder that's not doing anything for you. It's best to find a good group of supplements that do the same thing, but have different reactors so that you can take them until you stopped feeling the effect, and cycle to another product that you know you'll get a boost from.

The best thing, in my opinion, (keep in mind my level of knowledge is NOT in the sleeved field but it's worked great for me) is to use BCAA's before a workout, and Protein afterwards. I've never used gatorade before a workout, the carbs are just from sugar so why would you use gatorade when you can just use something like fruit, high GI carbs and sugar to carry the carbs through the kidney to break down to get insulin going, thus creating an insulin spike to help with energy levels. You can use simple sugars after a workout as well with creatine and Protein, as the sugars will have the same effect, creatine and protein will flow through the muscle capillaries to help with recovery and growth.

I went through a phase of trying just about every product on the shelf, and ended up finding out the hard way the crap is just crap. It doesn't work all the time. When you build up tolerance that's it, you're done. This is about the only time I practice cycling supplements, to keep my body in a pattern of being able to use the supplements without building up a tolerance. I posted my pre workout stack in another thread, it's rather lengthy but I've built that list over years of work, trial and error as a drug free athlete. I've seen guys get busted with some supplements that are legal, but they were taking so much to get a response that their blood and urine levels were so out of whack it caused a negative response on the drug panels. Just imagine how bad your kidneys are working too processing all of this crap. I recommend to guys we train with and who I train to get their kidney function tested at least once every 2 months, creatine itself can wreak havoc on the kidneys if you're not using a quality product, or if you're dosing at an extremely high rate. Just be safe, stay simple.[/quote']

Thanks for being the voice of reason. I am probably going through " that phase" you described right now with pre workout drinks. The pre work drinks are not as effective as they used to be so considering a break from them and just sticking to BCAA before, during and after, in addition to recovery shake (synth 6). I like to eat the energy squares from nuts.com before intense workouts (the kind that put me on the matt afterwards). These little squares are packed with good carbs and fats. Currently centered at 178 lb and bounce 1-2 lbs depending on the Water balance in my body. As I said in a previous thread, fat % is around 12-13 and muscles are becoming really defined in both upper and lower part of body. The only area that needs help are the abs. Oh they are strong as a rock and I can feel them quite well, but are covered with darn skin from weight loss ( hoping not o resort to TT to fix it). As for creatine, I use the product you recommended: AST Creatine monohydrate. Do you still consider this a safe product when taken in 10 g doses before and after a workout 5 days a week?