Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out-Of-Control Eating While Deciding on WLS

For some reason, I've been eating out-of-control since I started looking into WLS 3 weeks ago. I'd been following a low-carb diet for the past year (up and down 40 pounds twice), but at least trying to follow something.

Now, it's been anything goes while I investigate all of my WLS options. At least part of it could be attributed to my being nervous about the surgery, but I haven't eaten like this in a few years.

Anyone else go through a similar experience at this stage?

Andrew

I think it is pretty normal to go through this stage as your mind realizes post WLS is no longer a typical diet that we are all so fond of. Like you, i have done some very long term low carb dieting on and off before WLS. I got quite good at it, but did have quite a bit of binging between when I decided to have WLS (feb 2012) and my initial appointment (april 2012). i finally got serious about eating well about 1.5 month before surgery of july 2nd 2012.

You may go through another phase closer to surgery date called a "food funeral." Many individuals try and eat their favorite foods during this phase because of not being able to eat them again after surgery (not precisely true, you just need to wait for a while after surgery). remember, a food funeral is, again, just a phase and quite normal.

Once you are a WLS post op, it is important to develop sound eating habits to support you not only during weight loss, but for the rest of your life. During weight loss, this will look a lot like a low carb diet for most. For example, I ate low carb, low fat, high Protein for 7 months after surgery. during month 7, I transitioned into a Paleo diet (along with Paleo fitness) which I am still following today at about 1 year post op. Not everyone approaches the eating style post op in the same manner. You will need to learn and accept an eating style that helps you be successful.

Oh, and I almost forgot, my name is also Andrew (Andy). Good luck!

I felt the same way. Once I knew that I was going to do it I went for that.... I better eat this and that now before I can never eat anything good again. I gained weighed before my WLS but really it's almost a normal behavior I think, you just don't get it at that time.... .that yes,, you will eat again.... the only difference will be that you get to eat only a few bites of something fabulous instead of a lot of junk. :) Hang in there... this too shall pass.

I think my eating was pretty much all over the place when looking into WLS. When I finally made the decision to move forward, I had the opposite experience. I started eating much better and in smaller quantities to prepare myself. I didn't want there to be such a shock to my system pre-op and post-op. I called it "practicing" - I wanted to start to really pay attention to whether or not I was actually hungry or full or whatever. I know several others who did something similar and they are having fantastic losses post-op and feel great!

I think another thing to think about is the extra weight added just adds to the overall total that needs to be lost. In the months leading up to scheduling the surgery I gained 7 pounds.. It was just another 7 I had to take off! :(

I gained about 30 lb between feb 2012 and June 2012. However, I dropped 180 lb from June 2012 to feb 2013, so it all worked out in the end. :) I would not recommending gaining like I did though during the research phase. Weight loss for me was 360 to 180.

I gained about 30 lb between feb 2012 and June 2012. However' date=' I dropped 180 lb from June 2012 to feb 2013, so it all worked out in the end. :) I would not recommending gaining like I did though during the research phase. Weight loss for me was 360 to 180.[/quote']

Lol. I know 7 doesn't sound like much but for this body and the way I lose weight (painfully slow) it had an impact...

And the fact of the matter we will all be able to eat our beloved foods again. No need to mourn :)

I went a little cra cra when I went through the process and as I got closer to making my decision. Fortunately, I feel pretty gross from eating so much crap as it has a self limiting effect. I've always ate a lot, but I really added some good bad food in the last month or so. I'm ready to buckle down, get back to more healthy eating now, add in more exercise and prep myself for my 8/6 surgery. I feel grateful that my binge was somewhat self limiting.

I'm really glad to see this topic! On my supervised diet, I lost 31 pounds and my last weigh in was may 28th. Since then I feel like I can't stop eating, I have gained 2 pounds. It's messing me up mentally. I have a few more days until I get an approval (or denial) and for some reason the longer I wait the more I eat and the more I feel bad about it. It sucks!! Today I'm fasting....water and broth to gather my thoughts. I do not know what will happen to me if I don't have this surgery. I get scared thinking about it.

Hoping to get my first appointment with the Nutritionist and start my supervised diet SOON. That will be the end of my crazy eating and time to buckle down for some serious dieting.

So great to see this topic!!! I start my Options Classes with KP and their office called me to schedule my appt with the surgeon and since those calls I have been grazing like crazy....Not alot of junk but just eating alllll dayyyy long. Can't wait for my first class (on Friday)! Seems like it took forever to get to 28 June. Excited and anxious all at the same time. *btw - how does someone start a post on this site???*

I'm in the same boat. I've planned several "food funeral" meals in my head that I want to get in before my august 3rd surgery. But like someone stated above - we can eventually take a bite or 2 of those fav foods one day so... It's just a phase. We will be in a whole new chapter soon!

I had to do 4 weeks of clear liquid diet before my lap band surgery and 4 weeks post op. Miserable. However, the first time trying to eat a forbidden food it got stuck really stuck hurt like hell and since then I am nervous about any thing that may get stuck. Waiting for band to come out this Friday and get the almighty sleeve. A lot of people I know do the last supper before surgery. Normal I think after nobody gets fat because they hate food right?

So great to see this topic!!! I start my Options Classes with KP and their office called me to schedule my appt with the surgeon and since those calls I have been grazing like crazy....Not alot of junk but just eating alllll dayyyy long. Can't wait for my first class (on Friday)! Seems like it took forever to get to 28 June. Excited and anxious all at the same time. *btw - how does someone start a post on this site???*

steerlergyrl, I have KP as well. Yes, the first GB1 is exciting. I have my last nutritionist appt July 1st and I'm beyond excited. Good luck on your journey. Let me know if you have any questions!

Yep I was the same way. After my first dr visit I ate like a pig on the way home.