Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods that make you poop...

Wondering about flax seeds. How do you use them?

Miralax a couple times a week helps me.

Flaxseed is actually a healthy choice for numerous reasons I think. My husband's cardiologist told us about it. I guess it's good for cholesterol. Find some 'ground' and you can sprinkle it on/in anything. Some say it has a slight 'nutty' flavor, I thought it was pretty much flavor free. I've sprinkled it in casseroles, spaghetti sauce and on oatmeal.

Anything with flax seed in it. Learned that lesson over the last week.

How about flax seed oil--does that have the same happy effects?

This seems unconventionally and I discovered it totally by mistake, but anything with sugar alcohols. Not ideal, and I never eat products with it anymore because it upsets my stomach. But "sugar free" chocolates are usually the biggest culprits. I eat 3 of them and within an hour it hits. They do have calories though and can be addicting because they taste like the real things, so only in case of emergencies!

Sugar alcohols will do it, and not in a good way. That being said, I have a confession to make. A few years back while I still was still working, I used to keep a jar of jelly Beans on my desk. This one man that worked in the office was not only a jerk but pretty much cleaned out my jar each week. I enjoyed people helping them selves but most people would take a few but this guy would take huge handfuls and put some in his shirt pocket for later.I let him know one time that he was welcome to bring in a bag every once in a while to fill the kitty. He looked at me and said "why would I do that when you will do it?" Wrong thing to say to me.

Next day, I went and bought 3 bags of the sugarfree jelly belly Beans. It says on the bag not to eat more than a few because of the of the high content of sugar alcohols in them. He was all over them by 9am. I made sure I got up and left my desk area when I saw him coming.

The warning on the bag is true. That's all I'm saying. :P

To add to my delight, I let him know after the fact that those were sugarfree. He never ate another one of my jellybeans. :D

Aspartame and saccharine are Migraine triggers for me. I was a Sweet 'N Low lover for a LONG time before I realized it was not helping me!! Luckily I discovered Stivia, I like the brand they have at GNC....it saved me!!! :)

I've only tried Stevia a few times both with the same opinion. It tasted like someone was trying to poison me! One of the products was Stevia in the raw. It had a rough metallic taste to it.

I don't have an issue with aspartame or splenda in reasonable doses, but I would prefer something a little more natural. Agave is good, but it still packs carbs and calories.

Are there any brands of stevia that doesn't have an aftertaste? Is the stuff from GNC better?

Sugar alcohols will do it, and not in a good way. That being said, I have a confession to make. A few years back while I still was still working, I used to keep a jar of jelly Beans on my desk. This one man that worked in the office was not only a jerk but pretty much cleaned out my jar each week. I enjoyed people helping them selves but most people would take a few but this guy would take huge handfuls and put some in his shirt pocket for later.I let him know one time that he was welcome to bring in a bag every once in a while to fill the kitty. He looked at me and said "why would I do that when you will do it?" Wrong thing to say to me.

Next day, I went and bought 3 bags of the sugarfree jelly belly Beans. It says on the bag not to eat more than a few because of the of the high content of sugar alcohols in them. He was all over them by 9am. I made sure I got up and left my desk area when I saw him coming.

To add to my delight, I let him know after the fact that those were sugarfree. He never ate another one of my jellybeans. :D

Been there done that, got the t-shirt. I consumed a large amount of white sugar free chocolate one time. Then we went to mall that my wife and I had never been to before. Let's just say I had a maximum performance run to the bathroom. Luckily I made it just in time after running a long distance to get there.

I've only tried Stevia a few times both with the same opinion. It tasted like someone was trying to poison me! One of the products was Stevia in the raw. It had a rough metallic taste to it.

I don't have an issue with aspartame or splenda in reasonable doses, but I would prefer something a little more natural. Agave is good, but it still packs carbs and calories.

Are there any brands of stevia that doesn't have an aftertaste? Is the stuff from GNC better?

I personally like this one I get at GNC, I came across it by accident. I was at a health food store in a small little town and they had samples out. I took several and was surprised I liked it. I had to go on line to find out where I could find it and that is how I was led to GNC, I saw this past week that Whole Foods also carries it....it's in a purple and white box, called NuStivia. I get the packets. I had tried three others, including Truvia, and didn't like any of them. The ONE I did like was half and half....half sugar and half Stivia, I found it prior to surgery and knew I needed to give it up and find something else. I was struggling to find one though. I agree about the Agave, good but not an option for me. If you haven't tried it before our next Saturday support group......tell me, I ALWAYS carry it with me....and will give you a couple!!!

I like NOW brand Better Stevia liquid. It says it is non-bitter and I really like it. You can get it in flavored as well. Another one that I have just tried recently is called Stevia Sweet & Natural liquid. I find it highly concentrated and I need way less of it than the NOW brand. I live in Canada, so not sure if it is down there, but worth looking for. I love stevia and use it in everything. I use the flavored ones to sweeten my yogurt and the plain to bake with. My family cannot even tell the difference when I cut out most of the sugar in recipes! Another natural sweetener is Luo Han Guo Sweetener. I have never used it so I can not tell you how good or bad it is. I have seen it on this site:

http://www.holdthecarbs.com/luo-han-guo-sweetener-concentrate?keyword=lu&category_id=0

That is an awesome story! I cannot eat them at all and found that out the hard way! But, if you are in a bind, literally, worth a try!

I haven't tried the oil, but I would assume it would carry over similar effects.

I had it sprinkled it on various things (apparently too many things). :(

Prune juice it is!! Thanks eveeyone!!

And??? I don't care for artificial sweeteners in mass quantities but the amount in 1/2 cup of Fiber one is pretty minimal. And aspartame specifically has been proven over and over again to be safe despite being rigorously studied over and over again.

I'm just a big fan of putting natural things Into my body Rather than things create by a scientist, That's all. Personal preference. I will have sugar free gum occasionally and will have Fiber one as a very rare treat, but I was enjoying it every night as an evening snack to help me poo.

But I don't have anything to contribute to the thread since things seem to be happening naturally for me, just with the diet I'm eating. I just didn't want op running out an getting excited about it like I did (it's an old fave) and then realizing a few weeks in that it has an ingredient she doesn't care to consume. If she doesn't.

Great story newat52!!! I'll remember that if things get desperate:)

Bahahaha!! Berries do have a lot of fiber! ;D

This seems unconventionally and I discovered it totally by mistake, but anything with sugar alcohols. Not ideal, and I never eat products with it anymore because it upsets my stomach. But "sugar free" chocolates are usually the biggest culprits. I eat 3 of them and within an hour it hits. They do have calories though and can be addicting because they taste like the real things, so only in case of emergencies!

Lol. My friend once bought 10 lbs or so of that in bulk from a grocery store that was closing. Her husband has a terrible sweet tooth. He had to make a 10 hr drive so he put 3 lbs or so in his car to snack on along the way. Several hours into his trip and about a lb of candy later he found out what it'll do to you. Unfortunately he was just entering a long tunnel. There was no way out of that car for miles, nowhere to stop or pull over. Poor guy but lesson learned lol.