Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever been called fat by a kid?

I did today. I won't lie, it hurt my feelings.

My 5 year old son was chatting with another 5 year old girl. They were talking about food & she asked my son if I liked to eat. My son said yeah and she then asked "is that why your mom is so fat?"

Her parent are both paleo/crossfit people so I know at least nutrition is being taught at home. The other daughter things caffeine is "drugs". At 5 she's scared to eat anything sweet. So healthy for a child to have that mentality.....

Anyway. Still upsets me.

That happened to me too! I was teaching kindergarten and this sweet, sweet girl asked me "Do you like to eat?" I replied with a yes and asked her why. She nonchalantly said, "just wondered." A few seconds later I heard her whisper to one of her classmates, "she's so fat!"

It did hurt. Even from a five year old who was otherwise very nice and respectful towards me. I didn't think I had to feel self-conscious in front of kids too!

Sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never harm me.

What a lie.

I am so sorry for your pain. People used to ask if I was pregant & yeah it hurt, a lot. I want to send a hug to you. Words hurt people, use them wisely.

Thank you.

I'm just wondering if her parents said anything about my weight in front of her.

Last summer at the public pool I overheard a kid tell his friend as I walked by "They shouldn't let fat people even in the pool....they are so gross". I was mortified! But thankful that my daughter didn't hear it. Ultimately, kids learn it somewhere, and their ignorant parents are not my concern, but that doesn't mean that it didnt hurt!

When I worked at CVS one of my customer's children called me fat..like out of nowhere. His mother laughed and said "oh my! Children are so honest!". Really? I should have overcharged her lol.

I don't think a kid has ever called me fat exactly--at least not to my face or where I could hear...I have had a kid ask me why my stomach is so big...also, I have had a child tell his mother tell his mother in a store--referring to me--"mommy, that lady has a big tummy"...it has never really bothered me, because I appreciate the natural honesty of young children, and these children I mention were young--both under age 5...I told both of those kids (including the one in the store whose mother was embarrassed and apologetic) that I had a big tummy because I ate too much food, which was basically true...now, when adults have made snide remarks that were definitely derogatory towards me--even if the word fat wasn't necessarily used--that angers me and disgusts me, because unlike children they aren't just naturally curious and honest...they are just ignorant and insensitive jerks

That's horrible to go through something like that, that really sucks. It's sad that parents these days don't teach their children more manners, but a lot of it also comes from media and the fact that they're just kids. If you watch any children shows these days, the word fat is put in there quite a bit, even if it's not used in a derogatory setting at the time. It still sucks non the less, just imagine what the poor larger kids at schools have to deal with. I was lucky growing up, a few kids messed with me in elementary school, I ended that real quick by standing up for myself, but now days it's harder for a kid to do that because everyone is so touchy feely against self defense and such.

to address the few comments that alluded to the kids not having proper manners as regards to referring to people as "fat"...this is how I feel--I don't think it is a good idea or even healthy for parents to teach their kids that "fat" is a bad word or something bad to call someone...in fact, if they are taught that, then maybe they won't say the "f" word, but when they see someone who is fat, they will think there is something "bad" about that person...is that really a better attitude or lesson to teach your children?...heck, most of the time I call myself "fat" without mincing words, because at over 240 lbs., I certainly am fat...this is the thing, though--even if kids are taught that it isn't healthy to be fat, they should also be taught that human beings come in all shapes and sizes (as well as all colors and ages and religions and accents, etc.)...just because someone is different from what you are used to, that doesn't mean they are bad people or that you shouldn't respect them...*that* is the lesson I would want my kids to learn

Yes, over Memorial Day weekend my almost 4 yr. old granddaughter said to me in a questioning tone, "You're fat!?" I just said, "Yes." She then asked me why and I just told her that it was because I eat too much. She just looked at me and then went about her business of playing again. It took all my willpower not to break down and cry in front of her. It broke my heart, even though she didn't say it to hurt my feelings. She was just being curious. Ever since, I've joined these forums back in April, I've been having food funerals every week. I was eating so much junk food and lots of candy(loved MilkyWay Caramel bars). I could never wrap my head around tracking my food, probably, for the rest of my life and just having to give up eating certain foods. I've found out if I even have a little of something, then I crave it all the more( like sugar). What she said finally triggered something in me, because driving home from her house on Memorial Day I ate my last Milkyway bar. I started tracking my food on Myfitnesspal and am eating between 1200 and 1400 calories a day and upped my Protein and decreased my carbs drastically. I've always been a meat eater. I, also, supplement my food intake with 1 Premier Protein shake a day to help with the protein intake. It hasn't been easy, but not as hard as I thought it would. Reading these boards about the head hunger has really helped. I haven't been sleeved, yet, but hopefully in August. I have lost almost 9 lbs in 3 weeks! I just think that the more I loose now, the less I have to lose after the surgery.

I had a group of teenage boys pull up next to me at a light a few years ago and I was quite a bit thinner and they started mooing at me. It really hurt my feelings, and when I told my brother he was prepared to go track them down and beat them.....

My friend was just telling me earlier that a 16yo boy that goes to the same dance studio as our kids was having a conversation with someone and then made an offhand comment like "you know fat people.... like ______" and it was her name and she was standing a couple feet away. She said she turned and said "OMG I am fat?!? Why didn't anyone tell me" using humor to act like it didn't hurt, when it really did.

to address the few comments that alluded to the kids not having proper manners as regards to referring to people as "fat"...this is how I feel--I don't think it is a good idea or even healthy for parents to teach their kids that "fat" is a bad word or something bad to call someone...in fact, if they are taught that, then maybe they won't say the "f" word, but when they see someone who is fat, they will think there is something "bad" about that person...is that really a better attitude or lesson to teach your children?...heck, most of the time I call myself "fat" without mincing words, because at over 240 lbs., I certainly am fat...this is the thing, though--even if kids are taught that it isn't healthy to be fat, they should also be taught that human beings come in all shapes and sizes (as well as all colors and ages and religions and accents, etc.)...just because someone is different from what you are used to, that doesn't mean they are bad people or that you shouldn't respect them...*that* is the lesson I would want my kids to learn

It's got absolutely nothing to do with telling a kid not to use a word, it has everything to do with them learning how to use, or not use those words, which leads to manners and how they're raised. Dealing with juveniles in law enforcement, 90% of the kids we deal with come from crappy homes. They have bad attitudes, their parents have bad attitudes. I suspect the kids calling others fat come from homes where their parents are disrespectful and lack manners that benefit society by any means. It's ok to think that you can teach your kids that we're all different, come in all shapes and sizes and all that, but the bottom line is, most kids, especially in public schools, don't have the cognitive thought process developed yet to understand that, which is why they need to start at the root issue of...kids don't need to be little **** heads to other people, because it's just not right.

I used to work at an after school program and I had a little girl break my heart one day. She was in 1st grade and her mom had been in a really bad car accident. The little girl came up to me after snack one day and wrapped her arms around me...and said "your really squishy like my mom..."

...so yeah I've been called "squishy".

All the damn time & NO, I'm not pregnant! It never feels good!

HUGS-

Molly