Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever been called fat by a kid?

my experience is a little different. i have 3 kids:8, 5 & just turned 4. when i had my kids i was so aware of what they consumed. i introduced them to all veggies. only kept fruits and flavored waters in the house. this is not to say they never had junk but it was only on occasion. i knew what got me where i was and i did not want to teach my kids those habits. i dont think i ever harped on weight but maybe something i did came across that way. my 3 kids are beanpoles. they wear slim pants and they are still loose, super skinny's fit but look akward. anyway i think my 8 yo son is on the verge of heavy weight issues. he sees himself as fat!!! we have talked and talked. i kinda think it is my weight and his fear of looking like me. that is part of my hearbreak. through all my preventative measures I am the one who is scaring my son. i have never been one to harp on my weight but i am aware of it. i guess my son is at the age thathe is hypersensative to it. i will be glad to lose the weight so he is not scared to turn out like me.

my surgery is 6/18/13.

I have had an experience in which my friends son who is 4-rubbed my belly one day and said i had a baby in there...i smiled and explained that i did not..it was my tummy..

However i have been guilty of making someone feel bad about their weight.... at church there was a women and i was talking to her about work and she told me she was taking a leave of absence and i said "oh your going on maternity leave? When are you due?" ...She looked at me and said "im not pregnant" and walked away. I clearly insulted her..i felt so bad..especially now that i look like im pregnant.

If someone dares to ask me if i am pregnant ..i am going to say "why yes i am..six months to be exact..im totally showing right?" And then just walk away... People can think whatever they want to think..so let them

I did today. I won't lie, it hurt my feelings.

My 5 year old son was chatting with another 5 year old girl. They were talking about food & she asked my son if I liked to eat. My son said yeah and she then asked "is that why your mom is so fat?"

Her parent are both paleo/crossfit people so I know at least nutrition is being taught at home. The other daughter things caffeine is "drugs". At 5 she's scared to eat anything sweet. So healthy for a child to have that mentality.....

Anyway. Still upsets me.

I wish I could send you a hug - kids are little reflections of their parents and some of them are assh*les.

Besides, you being fat is temporary.

I think to make a blanket statement that if a child asks about your being fat, I mean a young child, that it is somehow a parents fault.. But I think most of you know that especially the ones with very young children. Most things are said with innocence and its what the parent does afterwards to educate the child that really matters.

An to the gentleman who blames the parents and public schools? I have to disagree with your statement about public schools, many public schools and children that attend them are outstanding. I realize you deal with the underbelly of society but to bunch all public school children as the same is wrong... Unless I read what you were saying wrong?

I think to make a blanket statement that if a child asks about your being fat' date=' I mean a young child, that it is somehow a parents fault.. But I think most of you know that especially the ones with very young children. Most things are said with innocence and its what the parent does afterwards to educate the child that really matters.

An to the gentleman who blames the parents and public schools? I have to disagree with your statement about public schools, many public schools and children that attend them are outstanding. I realize you deal with the underbelly of society but to bunch all public school children as the same is wrong... Unless I read what you were saying wrong?

[/quote']

I think the public schools should teach the word fat to not be negative...obviously if you are unhealthy being fat is negative but so is being skinny and I always hear people on here say they wanna be skinny. ..I want to be thinner but not skinny because skinny is unhealthy too. But when it comes to other people and describing their appearance if we teach children that the word fat is just a word to describe someone and not an insult then what is the big deal. I'm fat and most of the people (pre op and only recently post op) on here are fat too. If you were thin or average you wouldn't be getting this surgery. I say I'm fat and people say "no your not" and I say yes I am. I am fat, a brunette, brown eyes, wears glasses, etc. Its just a way to describe me...nothing negative about it . Not an insult so why should it hurt

Different things bother different people.

If being called "fat" doesnt bother you, GREAT! Here's a cookie---a Protein packed, sugar free cookie, of course ;)

Some people get offended when people say surgery is the "easy way out".

It does not bother me one bit. Because again, their ignorance is no concern of mine.

Once I saw a post on here about someone couldnt stand the world "hubby". Again, that word doesn't bother me.

A little 12 year old prick saying that fat people are gross---yes, that does strike a nerve.

Unfortunately the word "fat" is mostly used in negative ways. And given how many regular everyday words have turned into negative words, i dont really see society changing it back to nothing more than a descriptive word. Though, wouldn't that be wonderful.

I had just delivered my son a few weeks prior and we (my whole family including husband and my mother) were walking a few blocks to our local festival. Some pre-teen boys (12ish) came up behind me and started singing "I like big butts and I cannot lie" then they kicked a soda can into my legs. My husband started yelling at them and they ran off. Unfortunately, it left a big ole dent in my confidence. Nothing like being harassed by a bunch of young punk kids when all you want to do is enjoy your family outing.

As for the the conversations about real young children: Yes, it's usually innocent. But my daughter was in K two years ago. At that time she held most of her weight in her tummy. On two different occasions another little girl poked her in the stomach hard and started calling her fat. My daughter, having no idea what it meant, now has a negative connotation with it. This same girl also use to make fun of her friend at lunch and tell her she ate too much until the sweet, precious child wouldn't eat. We are talking about FIVE year olds!! Since then my daughter always asks me if she's fat and every time I tell her she is perfect and beautiful because she is. Yes, she holds her weight in her stomach but on a "medical level" she's not even considered overweight. She's 7 now and every year her stomach slims down a little more. It's such a shame to know that children start at such a young age with being bullies to one another.

Don't get me wrong I don't like getting called fat!!

And if a person 12 or 112 called me that I would be hurt!

I have a 11 year old boy and a 17 year old daughter and they are feeling thinking human beings in the case of my 11 year old son overly sensitive to others sometimes to the detriment of himself....

By the way both of my children are products of a flawed mother and a public school system. :)

Yes my gripe was with the comment of these mean (i wont say prick) children being products of the public schools...

It happened to me once in the grocery store the child was around 6-8 not sure but he said it and the parent actually said I know. So I tripped the kid when he started running around then told the parent my fat leg must of got in the way and walked off then stopped turned back and said or maybe I did it on purpose because I'm just that much of an a*****e. Teach your kid some respect.

I wouldn't advise that course if action but I'm naturally an a*****e so I didn't really care.

It happened to me once in the grocery store the child was around 6-8 not sure but he said it and the parent actually said I know. So I tripped the kid when he started running around then told the parent my fat leg must of got in the way and walked off then stopped turned back and said or maybe I did it on purpose because I'm just that much of an a*****e. Teach your kid some respect.

I wouldn't advise that course if action but I'm naturally an a*****e so I didn't really care.

Not sure if it's funny or not but I did laugh reading it. :P There was a little girl (maybe 4) asking her mom why I was fat when I walked by and the mom didn't answer. I was in the next aisle and I heard her ask 3 times. She just stayed quiet. I don't know if that was the right answer or not but I enjoyed hearing nothing instead of whatever might have been going through her head. My kids don't focus on people that much unless it's teeth. They have a thing with teeth being bad or missing. Unfortunately, they are kids (my 7 yo doesn't do this, she asks quietly now but my 5 yo blurts it out) but most people have responded nicely to them asking such questions because you could tell it was of pure innocence. I usually just say we don't talk about other people ... do we want them talking about us? and I leave it at that.

My daughter (who is 7 yrs old), came up to me one day and said, "Mommy, they were calling you fat." It's something I've had all my life...even when I was a kid and I wasn't fat! I definately relate...it is hard.

I completely understand OP. My nephews have called me fat and taunted me about my weight for years(they're now 14 and 10). It can be very hurtful.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with telling a kid not to use a word, it has everything to do with them learning how to use, or not use those words, which leads to manners and how they're raised. Dealing with juveniles in law enforcement, 90% of the kids we deal with come from crappy homes. They have bad attitudes, their parents have bad attitudes. I suspect the kids calling others fat come from homes where their parents are disrespectful and lack manners that benefit society by any means. It's ok to think that you can teach your kids that we're all different, come in all shapes and sizes and all that, but the bottom line is, most kids, especially in public schools, don't have the cognitive thought process developed yet to understand that, which is why they need to start at the root issue of...kids don't need to be little **** heads to other people, because it's just not right.

I think we are talking about two different things..I am talking about truly innocent children, certainly younger than pre-teens...it sounds like you are talking about pre-teens and older...absolutely they can understand that things you say to people and how you say it to them can impact their feelings and be considered rude and hurtful...by the time my nieces and nephews were at least 10 or 11 years old--even younger--they understood the concept of respect for adults and were intelligent enough to realize what types of things might be considered rude or hurtful to their peers as well as adults...but certainly you cannot expect that same level of understanding from a 5 year old or even most 6 and 7 year olds

I am very surprised reading some of these posts by fellow posters, who are adults being hurt and offended by comments 6 and 7 year olds have made :huh: we face enough bias and discrimination as fat people from other adults and society in general that the comments of children seem trivial...I guess I have just developed a thick skin over the years

Calling someone fat is not bad manners for a small child. I will teach my children in the future the word fat to describe someone's size but not teach them it as a negative word. Why does everyone use the word fat so negatively? If a kid calls me fat I would agree because I am. A lot of other countries, the word skinny is used with a negative connotation because skinny is also seen as being unhealthy. Why dont we cringe when someone uses that word?

exactly, Janice