Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Suppose To Be On A Diet Right Now?

I went to the NUT seminar on Friday and I left there a little bit confused. We were told we needed to keep a food diary, which I have been. But are we expected to go on a diet right now as well? I mean they went over all the healthy eating choices and yes it's not anything I haven't heard before but if our food diary doesn't show the food choices they went over with us at the seminar does that mean we won't be able to get the surgery? or do they just want to see what (and how much) we eat on a regular basis? (fyi: we were told they don't require a pre-op diet. Only a 6 month weight loss program if you haven't been through one in the last 5 years).

I want the surgery for Portion Control, not to be restricted for the rest of my life on 'you can eat this, but not that'.

Also, are we suppose to be practicing eating without fluids right now? This is very new to me and I've always been told to drink drink drink (Water that is!) and I usually drink lots of Water with all my meals, it's the only time I can make sure I'm getting enough water intake. Plus it fills me, making me full faster. Now I'm being told not to drink a half hr before eating, when eating and a half hr after eating.

I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. :(

Three points. The "no water" rule is there so that the food fills your small stomach up AND food will take a lot longer to move on if it is not liquified. This technique leats to an increase of satiety, which helps keep you in control. When I heard this it didn't make sense till I researched it a bit. Makes sense now, so you have a new habit to develop!

The food diary is to help the NUT work with you on YOUR eating habits. It is not a trick to bump you from the process. Once I was into my "prep" phase, I realized that it would be wise to change my eating ways as best I could, and now I am glad that I did.

And three... No easy way to say this. The Sleeve is not magical, and while 'restriction' is a major outcome of the weight loss after surgery, remember that about 20% DO NOT succeed at long term weight loss. The only way to succeed is to change your eating habits and activity habits... for a long time (like always). Yes you have anything as a treat... but not a routine life of 'sliders' foods.

YES it is overwhelming... That's why it's a good thing you have a while to practice before surgery. I liked to practice mentally what it would feel like to have small portions.. what the small portions would look like on a plate. I practiced chewing and eating slower.. I practiced not eating and drinking... I started my Vitamins, I logged all my food, I tried out Protein Shakes etc. I didn't just roll out of bed one day and do all these things natrually, I just started slow and worked on a little at a time. by the time I got my sleeve I had already adjusted my habits quite a bit so the transition wasn't such a shock.

They want you to start thinking NOW like you need to think AFTER surgery. This also means practicing eating without drinking, putting away soda pop, eating slowly and taking small bites, and choosing foods which are nutritionally dense. If you are thinking that the sleeve will allow you to lose weight eating the things you are now, you're probably wasting your time and money. You do have to change your mindset if you're going to be successful.

I was already tracking my food intake prior to the initial consultation. I initially focussed on changing the habit of drinking Water while eating. It takes about 30 days to change a habit. I found that I enjoyed my food more and stayed full longer even before the surgery just making that one change. I too had been trained by many other weight loss programs to drink lots of Water while eating.

If you try to change everything at once it can be too overwhelming. They will go over everything with you in detail again and you can always call or email them with your questions. Good luck. The sleeve is a great tool for weight loss but not a magic wand. You still have to work at it.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274

I think your NUT is trying to set you up for success post op. After surgery you will understand why you shouldn't eat and drink at the same time. You are so full from food that if you dare drink you will most likely vomit, but, if you wait about 30 minutes you can start drinking Water without ease.

Start eating the right foods that they went over during the seminar and log it down in the food diary. When you are post op, you will find what what you can eat with ease and what you can't or don't tolerate anymore.

I went to the NUT seminar on Friday and I left there a little bit confused. We were told we needed to keep a food diary, which I have been. But are we expected to go on a diet right now as well? I mean they went over all the healthy eating choices and yes it's not anything I haven't heard before but if our food diary doesn't show the food choices they went over with us at the seminar does that mean we won't be able to get the surgery? or do they just want to see what (and how much) we eat on a regular basis? (fyi: we were told they don't require a pre-op diet. Only a 6 month weight loss program if you haven't been through one in the last 5 years).

I want the surgery for Portion Control, not to be restricted for the rest of my life on 'you can eat this, but not that'.

Also, are we suppose to be practicing eating without fluids right now? This is very new to me and I've always been told to drink drink drink (Water that is!) and I usually drink lots of Water with all my meals, it's the only time I can make sure I'm getting enough water intake. Plus it fills me, making me full faster. Now I'm being told not to drink a half hr before eating, when eating and a half hr after eating.

I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. :(

Don't feel overwhelmed, it will become second nature, just like breathing!!! I am not sure what they want from you now.....I'd call and double check. I will tell you what I did, what worked for me, and in my humble opinion, I can't imagine what I've done wouldn't work for everyone. At the seminar we were told, 'Dr. Davidson wants you to know, this is a way of life, not a diet' Ok, I'm on board!!!! From the day I was discharged from the hospital until I reached MY goal, six months later, I treated this as the most important, strict diet of my LIFE!!! I've been on plenty of them......this was serious business to me, I had a honeymoon period and I knew I needed to make the most of it. Absolutely not one bite, not one nibble of anything fried or sweet. bread was minimal and chips or even "baked" fries. Nooooooo, none of this passed my lips. That said, since I reached goal, nothing is off limits except carbonated drinks. There ARE things I CHOOSE not to eat, or to seldom eat, but it is MY choice. I am aware of every single thing that I eat, I do not do the mindless eating that I was prone to prior to surgery. I eat sweets, a couple of times a week, I'll even have something fried, but seldom and not much. Four or five French fries or four or five pieces of okra. I'm happy and still have room for the Protein I need to eat. It is so much easier to make wise choices now, it is so much easier to eat a few bites of something, and then stop. This is not a diet to me any longer, I have changed my lifestyle, I keep track of everything and when I'm at home, I weigh or measure my food. I love it all, it's like a game.....and I'm winning. It is habit.