Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time off before returning to work?

How much time did you take off before returning to work? How much did you need? My doc does surgery as an outpatient procedure with just an overnight stay. He says people have surg on Thurs an go back Mon, but he likes to see them take at least a week. But, if I fill out STD paper for work he said I would have 2 weeks off since it goes through insurance. I don't want to rush myself by going back early, but I don't want to get bored at home either. I get bored ill want to eat or will feel the pain.

I took 3 weeks. I probably could have gone back after 2, but I was glad to have the 3rd week to get some of my energy back.

No clue what STD paper work is but it doesn't sound good ;)

Returning to work depends on a a few things. What you do at work, how your recovery is going, if you continue your paid meds etc.

Everyone comes out of this surgery in so many different ways. From absolutely zero pain or issues (me) to some who can't even move for weeks.

It's a toss up on how you will feel and so I would arrange for the two weeks and go from there.

STD= short term disability. Anything more Han a week and I'd have to fill it out.

I had to be off for 2 weeks then 4 weeks in light duty. I have a light labor job. My doc said I couldn't lift more than 25lbs until 6 weeks. If I had short term disability I would have just taken the whole 6 weeks off.

7 days

No clue what STD paper work is but it doesn't sound good ;)

Ha! Was thinking the same thing

I'm two weeks out and feel ready to return but found out that I have a 10 pound lifting restriction for another two weeks, job won't let me come back with restrictions so I'll be off for an entire month.

I was physically ready to go back in about 10 days or so... I hate my job and its really stressful and I still am not mentally ready to return to work. I was sleeved on 4/16. I have a desk job in a call center and I'm not comfortable in a sitting position for eve an hour!! So I can totally forget about sitting for 8 hours!!! And I am very belchy (I burp after eating or drinking anything!! And not just 1 burp and done. No I keep going!!!) and like I said I work in a call center and I'm on the phone all day!!!! I'm gonna have my dr keep me out for at least 6 weeks!!!

Had surgery on Friday, was back seeing pts in the office the next Wednesday, but I didn't feel very good, and my office manager said I looked "yellow".

Didn't operate on anyone for two weeks, though. :)

Wasn't that thoughtful of me? :)

My boss made me take 4 weeks because of the 10 lb lift restriction, although I don't lift anything and work in an office. She said my purse weighed 10 lbs lol. *rolls eyes* I could have gone back in 2 weeks for sure.

I was sleeved on 4/30/13 (a Tuesday) and went back the following Monday. I have a desk job, but I got up SEVERAL times to hit the breakroom for more water! Only real drawback was the liquid meds made me really sleepy. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Took two weeks off but ended up going back a few days earlier as a meeting came up I did not want to miss. I was fine to return and had no issues. I was flying and staying in hotels by week three.

I waited til I was eating a regular diet at 6 weeks. Didn't want to be weak at work: take the needed time for yourself...mentally and physically.