Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we smoke 6 days after the procedure?

I stopped 2 months before surgery. My dr. specified that he did the test at the pre hospital testing,, and sure enough he did... I didnt want to go thru the whole process (took me 6 Months) so i can be denied surgery the week before my scedueled date.. Good luck to you ,,it was hard in the begining but i hope not to go back,,,its been 4 months now and sometimes I miss it but i try to stay strong. :)

If you are going to smoke than the sleeve is not for you. They will take your blood a few days before and if nicotine is in your system will tell you your to big of a risk:(

Thats just not true. I've done great with the sleeve so far and see no reason why it won't continue. Obviously smoking isn't good for you. Neither is being fat. I certainly do not promote smoking, but I never quit. I suffered no bad consequences from it. I had no nicotine test before surgery. Some Drs do a test but not all. The sleeve is for anyone that can meet the criteria for insurance and your doctor's conditions, or for whoever wants to go to Mexico and pay cash. Lets not be so rigid and judgmental.

I would call him tomorrow and ask - better to find out whether it's an issue or not now than to have him test you later and find out.

I told her in the office and it says it on my paper work but i will tell her again just in case

Please don't leave. :(

I could never leave this forum! I have too much advice to give and receive. I just know the territory that comes with a bunch of different souls from all walks of life and have learned to ignore the nonsense :)

But it will always amaze me how butthurt some people get when they read an opinion they don't agree with or ask things they really don't want honest answers to. Forums aren't designed for constant coddling. :P

I quit 2 weeks prior to.meeting my surgeon....haven't touched one since its been almost a.month....but what if its still in my system come surgery like if i have surg next month????

Depending on the frequency you smoked before you quit you may or may not still have residual levels of nicotine in your system For instance, if you were a 3 pack a day smoker, it's most likely still in there. But just a trace amount. Tell your surgeon the frequency you smoked before you quit and that you haven't touched nicotine since whatever date you stopped (he'll appreciate the date, at least mine did) and I'm sure he'll discuss it with you. If you were a social smoker or even a pack a day, have exercised, and drank plenty of Water, your system may be clean:)

Here's the thing about having WLS and' date=' indirectly, about quitting smoking, too. It's NOT about what you can "get away with." So all those folks saying they smoked the entire time, that it didn't impact their healing, etc are rationalizing what they did based on false assumptions. Sorry folks, you *can't* know how much faster you might have healed without smoking. Just because you didn't have any major complications does NOT mean it's ok to continue to smoke.

But lets leave the smoking issue behind for a moment. If YOU lost 100 lbs while drinking milk shakes and eating French fries, would you still recommend that to someone wanting to lose weight? Hopefully NOT! Because you would know that wasn't a healthy way to eat and even IF it worked for you, it's not going to work for a lot of other people.

I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't "beat anyone up" for smoking either before or after WLS. It is, after all, your choice. But wouldn't it be more supportive to encourage someone like the OP to stop vs saying "Well, I didn't, but I was fine!" Unless, of course, you're wanting to feel better about your choices...sort of a "misery loves company" attitude.

With WLS, you need to have the mindset that you'll do absolutely the BEST that you can. You're not going to be perfect, you don't changes the habits of a lifetime just because you had surgery. It takes time and work. BUT...if you have the attitude that you'll see what you can "get away with"...you'll push boundaries, see how much you can eat and how soon, etc.

So do your best to stop smoking and/or cut back as much as you can. Same with the pre-op and post-op diets and living life with WLS...don't look for excuses (well, someone else did it!) for poor choices, don't see how far you can bend the rules...instead, see how close to perfect you can get![/quote']

Just have to say this after the first line alone, LOVE IT!

Thats just not true. I've done great with the sleeve so far and see no reason why it won't continue. Obviously smoking isn't good for you. Neither is being fat. I certainly do not promote smoking' date=' but I never quit. I suffered no bad consequences from it. I had no nicotine test before surgery. Some Drs do a test but not all. The sleeve is for anyone that can meet the criteria for insurance and your doctor's conditions, or for whoever wants to go to Mexico and pay cash. Lets not be so rigid and judgmental.[/quote']

I wholeheartedly disagree with Your statement, "The sleeve is for anyone that can meet the criteria for insurance and your doctor's conditions, or for whoever wants to go to Mexico and pay cash."

Just because one meets the criteria or has the money does not mean the sleeve is for them. Mental preparation, a true 100% dedication to a permanent lifestyle change before and after surgery, and a complete comprehension of risks and acceptance of the reason they have issues with food is predominately who the sleeve is really for. So many people that look at it simplistically are the folks we have on the forum and in support groups with constant complaints and regrets. People that see this major operation as a quick fix for 30-40 lbs or just as a cosmetic procedure are the biggest reason for the ever increasing spike in regrets and horror stories we now see.

There are plenty of people on this site and everywhere that suffer severe depression and even suicidal thoughts/tendencies post op because they simply were not ready for this commitment.

I mean Hell, this is more permanent than marriage! (Not that I agree with it) but you can always pay for a divorce, you can't magically grow back 85% of your stomach. (yet anyway, give it a few years and there will be some crazy stem cell gut regrow process.)

The judgments on this page (not all, of course) come from a place of concern and experience. The insurance, weight qualifications, and money aspects should be last on the list for anyone considering this surgery.

I could never leave this forum! I have too much advice to give and receive. I just know the territory that comes with a bunch of different souls from all walks of life and have learned to ignore the nonsense :)

But it will always amaze me how butthurt some people get when they read an opinion they don't agree with or ask things they really don't want honest answers to. Forums aren't designed for constant coddling. :P

Chuckled a little bit when I read your use of "butthurt", sounds like a beavisism. :)

The judgments on this page (not all' date=' of course) come from a place of concern and experience. The insurance, weight qualifications, and money aspects should be last on the list for anyone considering this surgery.[/quote']

I might of been a bit over the top??

Hehehe......

I might of been a bit over the top??

Hehehe......

Laura, I think your response is perfectly fine as it is a valid opinion. All opinions should be unshackled on this forum without fear of negative consequence for the poster. If everyone took an open minded view of the discussions, there would less of a need for holy wars. Instead, the forum would be fertile grounds for the growth of every member through the sharing of opposing ideology. Iron sharpens Iron so opposing views are always needed for maturing of self through this WLS journey. There is little to gain from attacking others or from taking perceived attacks personally, but everything to gain by taking the high road and turning the cheek.

Depending on the frequency you smoked before you quit you may or may not still have residual levels of nicotine in your system For instance' date=' if you were a 3 pack a day smoker, it's most likely still in there. But just a trace amount. Tell your surgeon the frequency you smoked before you quit and that you haven't touched nicotine since whatever date you stopped (he'll appreciate the date, at least mine did) and I'm sure he'll discuss it with you. If you were a social smoker or even a pack a day, have exercised, and drank plenty of Water, your system may be clean:)[/quote']

Oh ok that's good i really wasn't a heavy smoker prolly a pack a week....that's y it was easy for me to quit when i stressed i felt the need bc it calmed me well so i thought now when Im upset i just let it go and i been in the gym heavy since December fell off a month ago for a few weeks but Im bk and i am a firm believer in Water drinkn lol soda or juice are very rare maybe once every 2 weeks and not even the entire thing lol i love water anyway thank you so much i will be sure to let her know again......and u are absolutely right about these forums i really love the advice and take it from where its given but some ppl get so crazy and honestly we are all different what make work for some may not work for others and some ppl may need help getting by everyone isn't as strong as the next and when ppl realize that maybe the angry agitated posts will stop but like don said don't leave Im new to this and i love seeing what everybody goes thru the good the bad the success and even some i learn from the mistakes...either or its a great forum #loveit

Excellent point

Oh ok that's good i really wasn't a heavy smoker prolly a pack a week....that's y it was easy for me to quit when i stressed i felt the need bc it calmed me well so i thought now when Im upset i just let it go and i been in the gym heavy since December fell off a month ago for a few weeks but Im bk and i am a firm believer in Water drinkn lol soda or juice are very rare maybe once every 2 weeks and not even the entire thing lol i love Water anyway thank you so much i will be sure to let her know again......and u are absolutely right about these forums i really love the advice and take it from where its given but some ppl get so crazy and honestly we are all different what make work for some may not work for others and some ppl may need help getting by everyone isn't as strong as the next and when ppl realize that maybe the angry agitated posts will stop but like don said don't leave Im new to this and i love seeing what everybody goes thru the good the bad the success and even some i learn from the mistakes...either or its a great forum #loveit

You smoked about like me then haha. I also wasn't much or a soda fan pre op, juice, water, tea and I was a happy girl! Well and the occasional beer...sigh...I miss beer...ANYWAY!

I think you should be just fine. Just be honest with your surgeon. With blood tests like this it's not always just a "positive or negative" result. If the doctor asks for a more specific report he can get see exactly how high certain levels are.

But I'd feel safe in betting you'll be ok. Just don't start after! That's been harder for me than quitting initially. Not that I'm smoking again...but I definitely found some interesting methods of calming myself now :)

Ugh! People are going to do what they want do even if they're advised not to. There was a question on the table and it comes with varied answers from smokers and non smokers, both sides equally passionate. I have lost loved ones to cancer, as well. Non smokers, like myself, are just as equally affected by those who smoke. Just as you feel you shouldn't be judged, we feel the same. Walk in our shoes! I actually have allergies that are exacerbated by smoke and the ashes from smoke. I care about my health and I don't want to be around it! Period! You, as smokers, want to compromise your health, more power to you! When you encroach on my breathing space, I have a problem. It is a big deal, to me! And just as you have the right to smoke, I have the right to not have to be around it or subjected to it! Don't get mad when someone finger wags and tells you smoking is bad. It's the truth! And sometimes, the truth hurts!

We all know the affects of smoking and the risks of smoking. Some chose to take those risks. In doing so, you have no one to blame but yourself should the outcome not be a positive one. Gastric sleeve surgery is very serious and does, in fact, require a major lifestyle change. Yes, we improve our appearance, our self esteem, but it also cures some ailments such as diabetes, lowers blood pressure and heart related issues. It would be a shame to reduce your quality of life by continuing to smoke, a habit that you know may have consequences. Why risk it?

Anyway! The choice is always yours. We are all giving you something to think about. Whether you choose to listen is completely up to you. You have to live with your choices, we don't. I wish everyone the best and good luck!

I never judge although I will say that I myself am 15 months quit away from them and will never go back. I made a personal decision to not let a 4" piece of paper cardboard and garbage tell me what to do. I would though want to encourage you though to stay off if youve gone that far. Its just not worth it. Do I miss it sometime? Yes. Do I miss eating a whole pizza in a sitting? Yes. Would I ever do those things again. Absolutely not. Im in it for the long haul to feel and actually be healthy. Hence the surgery I did on April 16th. I believe you can do it. Stay strong