Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forgetting for the moment pounds lost, lets talk about what changes our shape the most

We talk a lot about our diets, our routines, our exercise regimens, but I want to talk about which exercise changed your shape the most. Was it running? cycling? boxing? Jumping rope? At my fittest last year I was frustrated with the number on the scale but at that level of fitness I started to run and although I don't recall my numbers changing, my shape did, and even though I was 40 pounds heavier than when I first wore it, I was able to put on my high school cheerleading outfit.

Now I am launching into the fray against re-gain, and still wanting to reach goal. I'm getting back into the swing of exercising consistently and intensly and want to know what yielded the most impressive results for you. thank you!

For me, it was the elliptical. It has firmed up my butt and legs tremendously. I was doing 30 minutes a day on the exercise bike and slowly changed that 30 minutes into elliptical time. As soon as I hit 30 minutes daily on the elliptical, I started noticing a firmer tush. Weights have done a tremendous job on my arms, but the elliptical has, by far, changed my overall shape. I would think running would have similar results, but I have bad knees, so running isn't on my agenda yet.

As far as body composition and appearance, I think weight training offered me the most noticeable changes but it takes time to see the results. As far as feeling great and fit.... Definitely running for me.

As far as body composition and appearance, I think weight training offered me the most noticeable changes but it takes time to see the results. As far as feeling great and fit.... Definitely running for me.

Yeah, the running at least once a week helps me lose just a tad bit of fat. But for me, I think getting back to the weight room, and turning up the intensity even more has helped me most. And your right, it does take a lot of time and patience with the weights. For me, it's as if I have to embrace it some other way to not look for instant results. So I love the way I feel after I lift and the testosterone spike I get from it, but persistence and resolve can lead to great results if willing to stick to it and commit to it.

For me, running did change the body composition. However, not in an ideal way because it really leaned out my upper body in the absence of strength training. I still run quite a bit for cardio during the week, but now also push full body workouts during cross fit sessions, focusing on fast reps of body weight exercises, but still keeping textbook form.

I am finding that body weight exercises like headstand pushups, wall sits, planks, pull ups, push ups, sit ups. Etc are really helping to create upper body and lower body strength. You know, boot camp type exercises. Try and focus on compound muscle movements. Planks are awesome for hardening the core, back and arms. Try holding for greater then 2 minutes and if that gets easy, add variations like on leg in the air, feet on ball, etc.

Burpees and squats are also awesome compound muscle movements that really change the body composition. Try doing 100 burpees or do the card deck game where each card requires a different exercise for a different number of reps, as fast as possible. Other fun exercises include farmers carry where you jog/run with two heavy weights for 1-2 miles. I am doing this with 45 lb weights. You might also do fireman's carry where you are jogging with the weight of another on your back.

I have not gotten into heavy weights yet, but have my eye on it. My PT is helping me with the technical form for bench presses, squats, back lifts and Olympic lifts with an average amount of weight. These are helping a little, but will be much more effective once I can increase the weights.

Dead lifts are also good to do fast and furious. Put on a good amount of weight and see how many you can do in 5 minutes with two sets of 10 burpees in between. That will change your body composition.

Running and lifting help(s)ed me the most. Last time around I did tons of squats and that did a lot. Haven't gotten back into squatting this time around, but intend to at some point. Been focused mostly on running and not lifting as much heavy weight this time.

Cardio has helped me get smaller while weight training is reshaping my body.

If I had only been doing cardio I would be a smaller version of my past self... Same shape just smaller.

Weight training makes a huge difference. Once I hit goal I am going to stop the cardio sessions and focus more on lifting.

Look into ttapp. A lot of my friends say their body shape changed a lot doing that. Also, ddp yoga.

When i started doing spinning classes combined with bootcamp style workouts my shape chamged alot!

Dang this is good stuff!! I am deployed atm, so my options are limited. I have access to a treadmill, elliptical, bike, and stairmaster. For weights there are a few nautilus style machines but it's mostly the kind of set ups where you have to put the big weight donut on either side of the bar and go from there. That would be fine except that the weights room is super male dominated and testosterone charged and ... being undressed by 100 pairs of eyes is not as fun as it sounds :/

I LOVE the flood of chemicals I get during/after a lift. I don't do drugs but I imagine this is what it must feel like, it's like I can actually feel a liquid rush of pleasure flooding my brain, I actually smile while I'm lifting!

Yesterday was all upper body lifting - 3 sets of 12 at heaviest I can manage, back of the arms pushing and overhead behind the head drop, pecs, and lats, plus push ups. I only did enough cardio to warm up (5 min bike, 5 min elliptical).

Today will be yoga, 10x sun salutes, a 5 minute brisk walk, and lower body weights. But I'm open to suggestions?

What I'm hearing from everybody is that weights are key. Interesting that nobody talked about callesthenics or aerobics, crunches, jump rope, etc.

Although I really don't enjoy it very much I have always seen results with running. Interval running is preferable. I also love the stair master that machine is a beast. I remember only being able to only do 3 minutes on that machine. Now I can do about 20 minutes, I'm sure I could go longer if I wanted to but I've been so busy with school and work that I have t been able to focus on my fitness regimen so much.

Now his last few months I've taken up yoga and I must admit I love it. I think it has over had a positive effect on my body and mind.

From someone who's been pretty sedentary for a lot of years, (Growing up if I was 90 pounds I was a lot- & hated all forms of exercise) - I am loving & seeing results from Pilates, Zumba & just plain walking 2 miles to work every morning. I live in NYC, so it's a lot of bobbing & weaving through the masses! Lol

Hiya GT,

As you know before my back injury that stopped me training I did boxing and jogging... during this training period, I didn't lose any weight but I dropped a dress size. I found the boxing really effective for strength and reshaping my body, getting lean and overall fitness. I intend to go back, probably around Sept. Jogging was good for cardio and I liked the feeling of controlling my breathing.

As a foot note, I think natural weight bearing exercises such as squats (I've started the 30 day challenge), push ups, pull ups (if you can and have the right 'space') planks etc are really good for toning the body and getting nice definition.

I haven't used any weight machines, but I did use free weights and kettle bells... I enjoyed using both.

I think you're right to focus on reshaping as well as losing ... sometimes the focus on the scale numbers out shadows our actual size. People do not believe me when (if) I tell them my weight and that I still need to lose 20-24lb to get to a normal BMI!

I also want to say that eating clean and consuming veggie drinks goes a long way in eradicating fat from the hard to eliminate areas ( stomach for me). There are two green drinksi a drinking now on alternating days. The first is called Tonic Alchemy (bought from Amazon) and the second is called green essence (bought from Vitamin shoppe). The green drinks are super high in Antioxidants which really do help to eliminate toxicity in the body that holds onto stubborn fat. Some others make their own green drinks from natural ingredients. I just do not have the time or patience to gather the 80 different types of fruits and veggies in my green drinks. Eliminating stored toxins will change your body composition and is required before you can expect cardio or weight lifting to change your body composition. Working out is useless if your body is constantly fighting inflammation caused by excess toxicity in the body from unclean eating.

Fiddleman, I cannot even begin to tell you how many of your posts I take screenshots of!! I get so many helpful tips and tricks, thank you!