Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No drinking 30 minutes before or after meals?

I had my surgery 4/22 and am not 4 days post opp. My NUT said I can have yogurt, cream Soups, pudding, cottage cheese and shakes. So....they also say not to drink 30 minutes before and after a meal. But I'm drinking all day. Does that apply to this liquid phase too?

I didn't do that on the liquid phase, I'm now on the pureed stage and that has been so hard for me because I"m so used to drinking with my meals that I keep forgetting not to! Something I have to work on..

They had us stop drinking a half hour prior & waiting an hour until after beginning with the full liquid phase. I think that this was more for practice than need. When I started the next phase "Soft protein" the NUT told me to start doing the wait (I think either people forget or blow off doing it in the full liquids) .

Ah man, I am so worried about this. I am such a drinker/chugger with meals. I can't imagine eating without drinking. I guess I really should start practicing soon...

I wish I had practiced too. Can someone help me get my mind around this. I feel lik it would be easier to follow if I understood it.

Is the issue that if you drink before and with a meal it will push the liquid and food through your stomach so you don't get or stay full?

or is it the exact opposite-you will be full on Water and not have room for the food?

I do better when I logically understand things.

Also last night I ate cream of wheat and got horrific shooting pain in my chest right between my boobs. Horrible. It passed with in a minute but it scared me big time. From what I've read on here this sounds like gas. Let me know if you have any other idea.

And a zillion thanks to everyone who is helping answer these questions. This site makes me feel so much better about my surgery.

Among the reasons are:

- you need to get your Protein in and liquids take some space, replacing where your protein would go

- liquids help food bypass the digestive process so you don't get the nutritional value from your food. If you have watched those championship hot dog eaters, they soak their food in Water before swallowing it. That way it doesn't go directly into the stomach and they can eat more. You eat more without feeling full.

Some allow you to drink right up to your meal. Water exits pretty quickly but if you drink after, you risk over filling and puking or pushing everything through faster and getting hungry or dumping. Better to just wait the 30 mins before drinking again.

I wish I had practiced too. Can someone help me get my mind around this. I feel lik it would be easier to follow if I understood it.

Is the issue that if you drink before and with a meal it will push the liquid and food through your stomach so you don't get or stay full?

or is it the exact opposite-you will be full on Water and not have room for the food?

I do better when I logically understand things.

Also last night I ate cream of wheat and got horrific shooting pain in my chest right between my boobs. Horrible. It passed with in a minute but it scared me big time. From what I've read on here this sounds like gas. Let me know if you have any other idea.

And a zillion thanks to everyone who is helping answer these questions. This site makes me feel so much better about my surgery.

Think of your stomach as a funnel. The food gets in there and starts to digest pushing it slowly to your small intestines. When you drink you dilute your food making it get to your intestines quicker which in turn makes you feel hungrier quicker. By prolonging Water the Protein sustains you longer. Hope that helps. There is a youtube video about the funnel thing. Pretty cool.

What would I put in the search on you tube to watch that? I am much better at understanding if I see the visual..thanks.

The book I read said to visualize your stomach like a toilet. You eat and it's trying to digest but if you drink while you eat you literally flush the food away. Not sure if that helps or not ^_^ I'm still on liquid phase and didn't practice too much either.

NUT said I can have yogurt, cream Soups, pudding, cottage cheese and shakes. So....they also say not to drink 30 minutes before and after a meal. But I'm drinking all day. Does that apply to this liquid phase too?

nessieberry

yogurt, cottage cheese - this is the "soft" stage - the Water rules come into play

stop drinking about 30 minutes before you are going to eat

NEVER drink with your meals (biggie that is difficult for many/most)

when you are done eating - do NOT drink for 45-60 minutes

drink at least 64+ oz a day - the more the better

you will be able/allowed to gulp after a while

check with your NUT - she's the one with the final word

these are very, very important rules that must be followed

i have heard of people being shot when/if they don't comply ;)

MrsG (that crafty smart lady "above") :) gave a great answer with the analogy of a funnel!!!!

an hourglass - sand in one "compartment" pour a little Water slowly into the glass

nothing really happens

pour again, and you'll see a little sand (aka food) flow through the glass

slowly continue to pour water through the glass and more and more sand (food) will go through the glass (stomach)

pour more water through - and see how all of a sudden the sand passes through and the glass is empty

that is how your tummy will be - empty - you'll be hungry

don't add any water (don't drink) your tummy will keep the sand in (aka food)

your new little tummy will be smiling :) , making you and tummy feel all warm and cuddly inside ;)

the time periods of waiting to drink might vary from one nut to another - always listen to your nut (or me :lol: )

you will learn/hear that all NUT'S/surgeons are different

you are right , understanding the rules - makes it easier to follow these important rules

congrats on successful WLS - continue to do what you are supposed to do - you will do great

always come back here with more questions (but your NUT gives the final word) so you could ask her first

be good to the sleeve, and it will be good to you :)

you are on the road to a healthier, happier, longer life

you might/will have a few bumps and bruises in the road :(

thats how life works for all of us - but life/you will continue daily to feel better

good luck :)

This might help with understanding why.

This might help with understanding why.

I love you OTR!! This is exactly the video I was thinking of! Thanks!!