Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody regretted it, even with no complications?

I was a revision from lap band, my surgery was Dec 10th 2012 so I'm about 4months out. Recovery had its ups and downs, I hated every creamy Protein drink, only found one I could stomach (no pun intended lol) but after 2months on them I can't drink any Protein drinks with out wanna to punch someone haha. I am still sore around my incision near my navel, makes it very hard to work out and run. But I do when I can. I'm a slow loser but started out with a lower weight since I was a revision from evil band complications. Dec weight 198.5, current 169. I have more I need to lose since I'm only 5'3" but am healthier now and with out all the sickness I had for 5 years with the band.

I tolerate food better now and still can't eat certain things but its bad stuff I have no business eating (ie fried foods, sugary ect) I can finally handle my coffee again and can eat meat, though certain ones I handle better than others. You'll have your moments of regret that is VERY fleeting when your eating a delicious meal and its that moment that 3bites makes you full and sick to your stomach. Then I get mad because I want to be able to eat lol, then their are days that I can eat a nice plate of crawfish lol. It's hit and miss. But over all best decision I ever made, I really wish I would have gotten this originally but having the demon band hell has helped me know how to eat proper size portions, chew chew chew and appreciate how this is a true tool and gift to have had done.

I haven't read through all the comments so maybe someone already said this, but I thnk everyone says this! I am 6 months out and am just learning how to balance my love of the kitchen and food. In my house when we socialize, chat, comfort each other it always happens in the kitchen. I am glad to say that is still the case in my house. However if my friends/family/kids or whoever is snacking a dim not hungry I drink a nice cup of flavorful tea or lemonade. Also I love to spend time cooking and baking with my kids and family members, so I found all kinds of super healthy recipes we make instead of the old Cookies and cakes, also we bring baked goods to friends and family a lot as a surprise gift just to say we where thinking of you. It took the first 5 months for me to find a balance and not feel kinda sad in the kitchen. I'm so happy that I was able to keep my kitchen bliss

I just want to add that eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive! Buying meat and produce may be more expensive than a frozen dinner but it can make more meals, so in the long run its cheaper. Crap food being cheaper isn't true. At least not where I shop. I don't buy anything "specialty " and get Protein from food, not shakes.

As far as regretting surgery, I don't at all. I don't miss eating a ton and feeling like crap!

I have no regrets. Sure, it has taken time to get used to my dietary restrictions, but I go on and about my life and can get through almost any social event knowing I will find something I can eat. I love my restriction, there is no more gourging on foods. I quickly know when to stop by the signals my body gives me, a bit of discomfort and then 2 or 3 hiccups. I can eyeball what I can tolerate pretty well these days. I have so much more energy and I feel comfortable with where I'm at. I still have more weight to lose, and it is slow going now, but I have nothing but time in front of me so I know I'll succeed in time.

Hi. I am only 9 days post-op but I have to say that anyone who would do this to their body out of sheer vanity is NUTS! I would NEVER recommend that!! The hardest part right now is drinking the shakes. Just the thought of another shakes makes me nauseous. I went and bought flavorless Protein powder and add Mio to it so that is helping but this is serious stuff. What I woudn't give for a bite of a cold cut sandwich right now - and I don't even like sandwiches! LOL

Seriously' date=' this surgery can knock you on your ass! I had to get 3 pints of blood in the hospital and am still running a very low bp.

Just be sure you are ready for it. I know it will get easier and I am not at all concerned with my love-affair with food because it was never that hot. I know I will be able to eat pretty much anytime IN MODERATION and AFTER Protein FIRST. If we keep those rules in mind, we can do it.

Good luck to everyone![/quote']

Hang in there Bonnie. I have been two weeks and am still in bed a lot. I couldn't stomach the protein or even Water. It has been so rough with much regret but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It's like having a baby I would think. You tend to forget the post op and hard times.

Why the blood transfusions?

I am 12 weeks post -op (3 months). Absolutely no regrets. Love my sleeve. I am down 60 lbs since day of surgery. Have about 20 lbs until goal. (Didn't realize that until I just typed it out!! Woo-hoo!!)

I have to say, buying food is not expensive, FOR ME. What the what? I am not eating, lol. Honestly. A bag of frozen veggies I can eat for about 5-7 days plus whatever Protein. I do have to also say, I don't think I can eat as much as others at this stage. I read other's MFP diary/log, and see others at 6 weeks that can eat more than I can at 12 weeks. I definitely have to eat more often and I realize not all of our journeys are going to be exact.

A lot of our activities revolve around food, we have to find other ways to deal and relate or we will not be a success. On my family, we Celebrate with food, we mourn with food, we socialize with food, you get the picture. I have learned to nourish my body to survive and for sustenance. I can Celebrate with a car, a pedicure, a swimsuit, you get the picture.

Make the journey your own, but listen and adapt.

Good luck!

I am saying this because I care... we are all in charge of our own "journey". The patient has a huge amount of influence in how this works out. Wildly successful, so-so, or whatever.

This is a good place to "vent" and I recognize much of this is just venting but i worry about nervous pre-ops getting the wrong idea - it is hard to let go of old ways. I was very ready to let go and yet i do recall those early months... feeling a little like the world wasn't as brightly colored. Feeling a little... I won't say blue... but certainly not technicolor bright like it is now! I accepted responsibility for making the choice to have the surgery AND because I listened to people who came before me, i knew it was temporary. The surgery did EXACTLY what was promised. I can eat less, and I am no longer hungry 24/7. Absolutely everything else - following guidelines, working out, working on my emotional challenges - that was all me. Here is the newsflash - really really soon after you heal from the surgery, you are pretty much on your own sisters and brothers. The surgeon has done his/her job, you better have a plan for the rest. Doesn't mean you need to write the plan, it means you need to find the resources, support, education etc.

If you seriously can't afford chicken, cottage cheese and greek yogurt and veggies to eat - i can't fathom why you are getting this surgery.

So, here I am in maintenance living a life I could only dream about before. I do sometimes struggle, but crap, that is real life - isn't it? I mean, I don't know ANYBODY - fat or thin who doesn't have some rough days. Get over it.

I am not as mean as I sound... I am just suggesting to anyone that wants to learn from this conversation thread that sleeve life is still life with all it's struggles. You still drive the bus - where are you heading?

I so love what you wrote here! AMEN! This is life now so let's do what we can to maintain a healthy skinny life now.. :)

Iam not rushing the beer iam trying to wait until July 4 th.

As Laura said It was my last resort also.I had some health issues that my doc and I thought 90% these issue could be resolved with WLS.

I know I lost 40 lbs so far and my knee is not bothering any more. I think it deff working.

Gastric sleeve is like a lotto ticket. Sometimes you win big sometimes you lose big and everything in between. I'm going to say this as my final answer. If you have insurance go for it. If you are cash pay like me go camping with 1000 Protein Shakes. Have up to 5 a day And by the time you come back you will have had the same or better results. Its a whole lot cheaper.

Gastric sleeve is like a lotto ticket. Sometimes you win big sometimes you lose big and everything in between. I'm going to say this as my final answer. If you have insurance go for it. If you are cash pay like me go camping with 1000 Protein shakes. Have up to 5 a day And by the time you come back you will have had the same or better results. Its a whole lot cheaper.

I disagree with your analogy. Chances are with the lottery you're going to lose. Statistically there are many more successes than failures with WLS. Period.

Gastric sleeve is like a lotto ticket. Sometimes you win big sometimes you lose big and everything in between. I'm going to say this as my final answer. If you have insurance go for it. If you are cash pay like me go camping with 1000 Protein shakes. Have up to 5 a day And by the time you come back you will have had the same or better results. Its a whole lot cheaper.

Ok, I've never once been sarcastic or mean on this forum. But your just ridiculous. Your either trolling, very uninformed, or just plain not smart. You make your own success. You fail, it's your own fault. Why even be on this site? To tell people to eat McDonald's and pizza and crap? This site is for people who have genuine support or advice. If you want to just be sarcastic, your really not needed here.

Gastric sleeve is like a lotto ticket. Sometimes you win big sometimes you lose big and everything in between. I'm going to say this as my final answer. If you have insurance go for it. If you are cash pay like me go camping with 1000 Protein Shakes. Have up to 5 a day And by the time you come back you will have had the same or better results. Its a whole lot cheaper.

You can't win if you don't play. By play, I mean give it 100 percent and follow the nutritional guidelines, exercise, drink enough Water, take supplements. Once someone does that, if they don't succeed, they have my sympathy. But that is very, very, very rare. However, if someone goes into this with magical thinking, assuming you can do (or not do) everything you did pre-sleeve and somehow magically lose weight--it's definitely not going to work.

Yea, the lotto is based solely on luck and gastric sleeve results depend on you.

I say now I'm loving my sleeve.

1. I was called Obese twice because of a pre surgical weight and I was laughing!

You got it no ways offended because of my Friend my sleeve. Because of the sleeve I won't be (morbid) obese for long!

2. I don't turn to food for emotional support.

3. 6 weeks just 30lbs down I look good in my 18 pants to me! Yay

4. I look forward to each new day.

Yea' date=' the lotto is based solely on luck and gastric sleeve results depend on you.[/quote']

When meeting my Sleeve Team Dr. Campos gave the best explanation as to how the sleeve works.

Think of a table with four legs. Two of the legs are VSG. The third leg is "what" you put into your body. The fourth leg is exercise and moving more. The more "legs" you take away, the more unstable and ineffective your "table" becomes.