Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody regretted it, even with no complications?

I'm not trolling as I am not a troll.

I'm just the average Joe that the sleeve doesn't work for. I eat when I'm hungry. Plain and simple. You can eat chicken or fish fastfood once in awhile as long as its Protein based. I don't do fries or sides. I'm not a robot. I don't have the time for judging people or name calling. I wanted to offer my objective opinion from someone who has had no appetite reduction whatsoever. But when you have hardly any appetite how can you relate to someone who does? Maybe my surgery was not done correctly. I'm looking into it. Til than I hope I helped the minority and gave them a voice.

I am 3.5 wks post surgery. Absolutely do not reget it. I miss food, I'm definetly an emotional eater!! But it is getting better. I'm having a very hard time getting enough fluids in. The dietician told me to drink Water with any flavor Crystal Light puts out, just keep trying until you find what you like, tea is ok, ice chips is water, Carnation drinks work well. The best thing I have found though is a Protein whey liquid. I purchased mine at Walmart, after getting the ok from the surgeon and the physician, only $2.15!! It has 42 g of protein, not the best taste but not the worst either. I drink half in the morning, put it back in the frig and drink the rest when I get home from work. This gives me most of the protein I need for the day. I am eating refried Beans, eggs, yogurt ( which I detest!!), tuna, and just tried shrimp last night (grilled). Since I am drinking the protein it gives me more time for drinking the water. That is the hardest for me to do. But it will get better and I will love the new me!! I didn't have this surgery to get skinny (but that will be a nice result), I did it to get off the medication for Diabetes and High BP. Happy to report I no longer am on either of these medications!!! That is the best part, I WILL BE HEALTHY!!!!

Someone quoted "your BMI is 41. Something". Sorry I meant to say that has changed! Instead I laughed and wanted to Hi Five my d. self!

Explaining your experience is different then generalizing and saying that the surgery is a waste. For MOST people it works the proper way. For the small minority something could have been done wrong. I'm sorry that your surgery isn't working for you, and I wish you future success.

I wish it would of worked for me. I will find out what went wrong when I can. My extreme appetite and little restriction is what is messing me up. I don't think my surgeon got the hormone producing area of my stomach. Make sure your surgeon removes the fundus. I'm going to have to see a local doc and get some xrays and scans.

I am 12 weeks post -op (3 months). Absolutely no regrets. Love my sleeve. I am down 60 lbs since day of surgery. Have about 20 lbs until goal. (Didn't realize that until I just typed it out!! Woo-hoo!!)

I have to say, buying food is not expensive, FOR ME. What the what? I am not eating, lol. Honestly. A bag of frozen veggies I can eat for about 5-7 days plus whatever Protein. I do have to also say, I don't think I can eat as much as others at this stage. I read other's MFP diary/log, and see others at 6 weeks that can eat more than I can at 12 weeks. I definitely have to eat more often and I realize not all of our journeys are going to be exact.

A lot of our activities revolve around food, we have to find other ways to deal and relate or we will not be a success. On my family, we Celebrate with food, we mourn with food, we socialize with food, you get the picture. I have learned to nourish my body to survive and for sustenance. I can Celebrate with a car, a pedicure, a swimsuit, you get the picture.

Make the journey your own, but listen and adapt.

Good luck!

We all can eat different amounts that's for sure. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. At three weeks out I routinely eat half a cup of food... 1/4 cup of dense Protein and 1/4 cup of something else. I see people who are way further out than me eating a tablespoon of tunafish and 1/4 of a piece of cheese and I'm like WTF??? I'm comforted to know that it's not necessarily a measure of the final capacity of our stomach.. and honestly, if My final stomach size holds a bit more than average, I'll be ok with it and still "rock my sleeve" the best I can!

I can understand your frustrations with me. I wish it would of worked for me. I will find out what went wrong when I can. My extreme appetite and little restriction is what is messing me up. I don't think my surgeon got the hormone producing area of my stomach. Make sure your surgeon removes the fundus. I'm going to have to see a local doc and get some xrays and scans.

I have found when you say you're hungry on here you get criticized... I am hungrier than I was before surgery. I've had people tell me there's no way I can be hungry! It's just acid, you need a PPI, etc.. I am hungry more often. I wish I wasn't... I do feel I have to think about eating more than I used to. If i let the hunger go too long without eating I struggle to eat slow enough, because I feel ravenous! I will figure it out, but saddened to see others make accusations when we vent or tell our experience. I know I am in control, but I've been in control my entire life and have been morbidly obese most of it! You don't turn the Titanic around on dime... Some of are slower than others! I've not weighed what I was now in probably 25 years... That part is wonderful! The eating is still a struggle. So sad that not everyone can understand that, but not everyone can.

Thanks for your reply. It helps. I get the same way. I think its all about how and where the stomach is cut. But it could be something else. I watched so many vids and did so much research before my surgery. I also researched my doc. Its just so unbelievable I could be even more hungry than before and still fit a lot of food in without tension.

Thanks for your reply. It helps. I get the same way. I think its all about how and where the stomach is cut. But it could be something else. I watched so many vids and did so much research before my surgery. I also researched my doc. Its just so unbelievable I could be even more hungry than before and still fit a lot of food in without tension.

I do have restriction! I just get hungry soon, it seems

I wish it would of worked for me. I will find out what went wrong when I can. My extreme appetite and little restriction is what is messing me up. I don't think my surgeon got the hormone producing area of my stomach. Make sure your surgeon removes the fundus. I'm going to have to see a local doc and get some xrays and scans.

You said in another post that you aren't feeling restriction from things like oatmeal and yogurt. I didn't feel restriction with those foods either! I actually went thru a phase where I thought something was wrong with my sleeve, and I posted here. Others said just wait until you are eating solid proteins--you will definitely feel the restriction. They were so right! I will bet if you eat some solid Protein like chicken and some veg that you will realize that your sleeve is working. I'm a vegetarian so I feel restriction with soy protein like veggie meatballs with melted cheese or Beans with cheese. Don't do the slider foods like pizza and deep-fried fish. Those won't fill you up the same (you should be eating bread or fried foods now anyhow, if ever). Give it a try and work with a nutritionist if you can. No one is trying to bring you down but you've got to give the sleeve a fair shake and eat the proper foods before saying it doesn't work. Seriously, there are a ton of people here who when they were eating mushies and purees thought something wasn't right with their sleeve. Maybe this will get you on plan and saving you thousands in diagnostic tests. It's worth a try....

TES - I'd go into detail because I have on similar threads' date=' but I get a lot of negative comments when I do & it has gotten a little too negative for me...so the condensed version - I simply miss my life with food. I miss the life I had. I am hoping & praying it gets better in time.[/quote']

I can certainly respect that. I hope and believe it will get better for you as it has for many, but right now that's your reality that you deal with every day, and I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with it.

In part, that's why I've started the process of backing away from certain foods and changing behaviors before I start my pre surgery diet. It gives me a chance to physically and mentally reinforce to myself that I can still be social with my friends and family, and can be relatively normal, even when I'm not eating as I used to. I think it's sometimes a but too much to absorb after the surgery, especially in those first weeks where your body is starting to be impacted by the release of the hormones that have been stored in all that fat that's starting to come off and your dealing with all the aspects of healing. I think if some of the learning can be front loaded, so to speak, it's not quite so overwhelming.

What I'm telling myself when I get anxious while I wait for the surgery to happen is this: The good thing is that the hormones will start to resolve, you will be losing the weight and regaining health, and eventually you can go back to enjoying your food, just with a different perspective: a focus in quantity can become a focus on quality, a focus on fatty richness can become a focus on new and exciting flavors, and a sweet tooth can become more attuned to the natural sweetness of fresh fruits and vegetables.

And even with all that, you may still find that you do still enjoy old favorites, but you find it easier to savor a few fabulous bites rather than just sating yourself with a big plateful of something when you really only paid attention to the flavor and texture of a few forkfuls. This is a particular problem that I am already working for myself - that idea that a few bites of something well-savored is more effective than mindlessly continuing to eat when I've stopped truly enjoying it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

I am two months post op and have absolutely no regrets. Frankly, I could not be happier. I had momentary sadness that I could no longer drown my sorrows in whatever quantity of food I chose, but for the most part, I am very happy with my decision.

Not one second. This is the best decision I have made in my life. Yes good tastes great, especially when you have it at your beck and call. But food does not effect me like everyone else. I am obese, have been most of my life, but now my life is really starting. My husband had a salad and when he left the room I took a little bit of salad off of his plate. Boy did I feel guilty, I am eleven days post op. But guess what, let me get back on the wagon. If I only have to worry about quantity for the rest of my life, thank you. Bring it on. Love it, love it, love it. Just got to get dang Protein and Water in daily. Food not biggest problem right now, just lazy. No energy. I love my sleeve.

As I see it, if you want to eat, then eat, but why try to hurt others in the process? Eat up if you want, the fast food and other delicious foods will always be there. I'm not on that train anymore. Free will.

No regrets... No looking back... Easier than I thought and actually my only regret was not doing it sooner!!