Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bizarre trend?

Maybe for some people 5-10 sessions may be too much but after reading so many threads about regretting the surgery, that is making me crazy.

I certainly agree with you that a number of people are posting that sound like they were not ready for surgery. Some of them may well have benefited from therapy, but given some of the issues that they are posting about, I think more of them needed to have done a medically supervised diet that included learning about better eating habits and practice them, as well as understand exactly what they will be expected to eat post-op - seriously, coming here to say they don't like anything at all that is on their full liquids phase or pureed foods phase - if you know what is on the diet in advance, shouldn't that set off red flags and shouldn't you be asking your bariatric team for alternatives? Some needed better information before they got to the surgery - in some cases we see the people who haven't been told anything about what to expect at each stage in terms of things like stalls, what they'll feel like, potential issues, what to look for in terms of possible leak issues and so on. Yup, it makes me crazy, too. Doesn't mean they necessarily need therapy. Maybe I do :)

Yes some people have physical issues like certain medications and in some case a true thyroid issue. However the emotional issues like stressors as you mentioned should be addressed pre and post-op, so regrets can be minimized. I had 4 major surgeries in 5 years including being sleeved, so I know about stressors and physical issues including a strep and staph infection that almost killed me, knee replacement and neurosurgery. However, I had to come to terms with how I ate pre-op and how that would change after surgery through talking it out with a professional.

I'm glad that for you this is a useful way to deal with issues. Others do find it helpful, even essential, and I certainly respect the profession! However, I think that often it's like swatting a fly with a cannon. It may work, but it's overkill. I know what my issues with food are. In my case, it's really more about self-discipline and not really paying attention to eating in the way that I should. By working with my dietician, I have some strategies for dealing with the issues. The dietician was the appropriate resource for my issue. That isn't to say I wouldn't take the assistance of the psychotherapist that works with my bariatric surgeon's office. If I find that I have issues for which I need support, I'll go get it. But not all issues with food need to be resolved by therapy - some are more of a mechanical or functional issue, such as paying attention while you eat, slowing down, more effective Portion Control. Yes, I also have a particular fondness for cheesy and salty foods. However, what I'm finding is, again, that if I manage the mechanics of having them, I am gradually reducing their impact without feeling deprived doing it.

Ultimately, I'll take whatever support does the trick most efficiently for me.

Anyone who thinks this is easy' date=' hasn't researched. It is one of the hardest things I've done except for childbirth!! LOL! Anyway, yes, there are some days that I would love to eat slider foods, butI am determined to be successful. I'm already off many of my meds, down 57 pounds, and my blood pressure in usually normal. No Naisds and I'm practicing for a 5K to run in May at the age of 66. I'm proud of my progress. My sister and brother don't acknowledge it but that is ok. I have the support of my husband and friends!!![/quote']

Congratulations on your weight loss! But most importantly congrats on dropping most of your meds!!! Good luck on your 5k, you can do it!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, every single post. I have to agree a lot with what everyone is saying. I think researching is the key. You have to know what you are getting into. I am an obsessive researcher. I had been reading about VSG before I even went to the seminar. I have read every single thing that I can get my hands on. Reading post-care instructions from multiple surgeons online. I've started an 1100 calorie diet, not drinking with meals, gave up soda, exercising more and thinking about Protein in ways I didn't even think were possible. I've ready three books exclusively about VSG and the Beck book on top of Health at Every size. I know that my biggest barrier to weight loss is my emotional eating, hence why I am seeing my therapist every two to three weeks. I have watched every single VSG surgery on Youtube that I could find. Is all of this overkill? Probably. Do I actually feel prepared for this surgery? About as well as I can but I'm sure it's probably like childbirth. You think you are ready until you are actually in the middle of it and then you think - What the HECK was I thinking?!?!?! Is this going to be easy? Nope! Is this going to be the tool that I need to help me get this weight off and keep diabetes from beating my door in - Yep!

I think it is the lifestyle change also. My NUT was saying that Medicare is the only insurance they deal with that requires any length of time before surgery - I am thinking these people aren't prepared for the changes, didn't have enough pre-op time to really let things sink in. I think the pre-op time is so important!!

Please don't shoot me down, but I am going to be a Mexico sleever - May 7th. I've done tons of research, even switched surgeons after putting down a deposit for the first one. I am preparing by finding blogs and recipes and have bought baby sized containers in order to not over eat. I've been preparing close friends and family for the changes to come. I can't afford to see a counselor and am taking advantage of free counseling at my university to prepare. All that said, I do wish I had a nutritionist to even more clearly delineate every step. I've come to this forum looking for advice and tips but it seems everyone's own doctor has said something a little different. Some have said not to worry about Protein while others say it's important two weeks out. I believe that whether having a doctor in the states or Mexico- self preparation and taking long looks at our lives, what brought us to being overweight, past hurts/abuse, and an unhealthy relationship with food is key. Again, I'm presleeve , but I hope and pray this community will help me through the rough times and I will not regret it. I told my mom that even if I die of complications, at least I died trying, to put that on my urn and spread my ashes at the beach- where I've felt most free. It's scary to read all the regret stories, Mexico or not, but it inspires me to read more, be more informed, prepare even more, and ask questions- even simple ones.

SpaceDust- I think we should respectfully agree to disagree on certain points. As I said everyone has the right to their respective opinion and that was mine.

SpaceDust- I think we should respectfully agree to disagree on certain points. As I said everyone has the right to their respective opinion and that was mine.

Yes, we can't expect to agree on everything!

I have found that we may all be fat, but we all have different theories as to why....

I'll tell you why I am disappointed. I thought I would have this surgery and never have to diet again. I thought I would have no hunger. I thought I would fill up really fast.

Truth is I have no regrets. I'm disappointed that I spent 16,000 dollars and I'm still dieting. I still get hungry. But I do fill up faster. But the diet is hard. I follow it to the letter and I exercise every other day. I am almost 4 months postop And have lost 46 lbs.

I am on MFP and that is helpful. I was as psychologically and mentally prepared as I could be. And follow this site religiously. It has been a God send for me.

I guess I thought my dieting days were over. I'm just as obsessed with food as I was before, but in a different context now.

I'll tell you why I am disappointed. I thought I would have this surgery and never have to diet again. I thought I would have no hunger. I thought I would fill up really fast.

Truth is I have no regrets. I'm disappointed that I spent 16,000 dollars and I'm still dieting. I still get hungry. But I do fill up faster. But the diet is hard. I follow it to the letter and I exercise every other day. I am almost 4 months postop And have lost 46 lbs.

I am on MFP and that is helpful. I was as psychologically and mentally prepared as I could be. And follow this site religiously. It has been a God send for me.

I guess I thought my dieting days were over. I'm just as obsessed with food as I was before, but in a different context now.

Great post! I would really like to hear more about what your expectations were around "dieting". Help me understand this, because I see this as a trend on this board, but I pretty follow a healthy eating plan and don't really consider it a "diet" in the biblical terms. Now if you compare it to what I was eating pre-sleeved, yep I guess you could consider it a diet, but as I go through MFP I see it more as eating more balanced and healthy. If I want to eat something that might be considered "bad" I take that into consideration for the rest of the day. Some weekends, I don't even care what I eat (this happens to be one). I have my kids with me and we go out and eat and get froyo etc, I just don't gorge. I log all that and make the proper adjustments for the week. I really want to hear and understand your perspective.

BTW if you don't want to share here, please DM me or friend me on MFP. I really want to learn more about this.

The truth of the matter is that most people who aren't 100 lbs overweight follow some sort of "diet". It is what it is folks. Being healthy means following a plan and exercise.

THANK YOU so much for posting this! A REAL eye opener, Tink!

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm over two years post op, no regrets at all, best thing ever!! Easy way out and I deserved that!!

800 cals a day is a diet. :)

Maybe if you go up to thousand cal. A day it won't feel like a diet. Maybe you need to look at this differently.

What's worked for me is I don't deprive myself of anything and only eat in a way I can maintain forever. That way I don't go crazy when I allow myself to splurge. For instance, tonight I had pizza for dinner. Instead of ordering it I made it. I didn't use anything low fat or low calorie....I used real ingredients and was able to control how much cheese, sausage, etc I used. Some may disagree with my way but its working for me and I know I can eat this way always.

Mine doesn't feel like a diet because I like eating Protein, and adding fruits and vegetables. No Pasta, bread, crackers, potatoes.....yet and it's almost 6 months out.