Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bizarre trend?

Kidney stones/gall stones are a very common issue with, not just WLS, but any diet. You lose a lot of weight and it can cause many organs to act up

Aussielady.. So sorry you're having issues with eating. I always thought you were doing great.. But if you vomit and slim all the time then you have serious issues that need attention right away. You are going to quickly become anemic and your bone density is also going to suffer. Get to the bottom of this ASAP.. Take care of yourself.. I don't see how this is just a normal thing to accept as a flaw in VSG

He says he is not worried if we don't go out to eat anymore. I mean' date=' I can go to a restaurant but I get sick of the waiter trying to take my plate. It takes me for ever to eat an entree size meal and if there's something hidden in there my stomach won't tolerate I spend ages in the bathroom while he eats alone. I feel bad for him. This was my choice, but it has effected his life too.[/quote']

Hi Aussie, sorry to hear of your dilemma. I have suggestions for you. I haven't been sleeved yet but a friend of mine has been and when we go out, she orders Soups or an appetizer as her entrèe. Also some of the family ran type restaurants will Taylor your meal if you ask them to, like they do for diabetics or people w/ allergies and pregnant women (lol). Also you can always ask for a take-out container and pack some of the food away and keep what you can eat on your plate so you don't feel like you're taking forever.

Good luck.

Hi Aussie' date=' sorry to hear of your dilemma. I have suggestions for you. I haven't been sleeved yet but a friend of mine has been and when we go out, she orders Soups or an appetizer as her entrèe. Also some of the family ran type restaurants will Taylor your meal if you ask them to, like they do for diabetics or people w/ allergies and pregnant women (lol). Also you can always ask for a take-out container and pack some of the food away and keep what you can eat on your plate so you don't feel like you're taking forever.

Good luck.

[/quote']

Thanks for the support, feeling more positive today. Believe me I have tried all of the above, I think I will make an appt. To see my doctor, something's just not right.

Thanks for the support' date=' feeling more positive today. Believe me I have tried all of the above, I think I will make an appt. To see my doctor, something's just not right.[/quote']

Hi Aussie! Sorry you are feeling like this! It scares me because you are much further out than I am and I've also wondered about long term effects from this surgery. I agree, something just doesn't sound right. Take care and good luck. I would love to know what you find out! :)

Hi Aussie! Sorry you are feeling like this! It scares me because you are much further out than I am and I've also wondered about long term effects from this surgery. I agree' date=' something just doesn't sound right. Take care and good luck. I would love to know what you find out! :)[/quote']

Thanks Mrs G, I will let you know what the doctor says.

Laura,

I think negativity just breeds negativity. People keep sharing negative thoughts and those like me keep quiet and just read through not posting. I had a hard time with my surgery. I was in the hospital for 4 days afterwards. I'm 7 weeks out tomorrow and my incision hasn't healed and I was just diagnosed with a staph infection. But guess what??? These things frustrate me, but still not one regret. I've also had a few rough moments where I wanted to eat like a freakiing fat pig like others around me, but I got through it and felt better than the others afterward :-)

No regrets here! And for those lurkers like me who don't regret it need to speak up more and make this forum a place for people to learn about the sleeve to make informed decisions. This site helped me tremendously.

I'm not a lurker and I don't regret my surgery. But as a previous poster mentioned, I do feel very strongly that the psych evals are (in some cases) glossed over and it leaves people completely unprepared for what to expect after the surgery takes place.

While my surgeon did an excellent job explaining the technical details to me regarding the surgery, neither he nor anyone in his office did a very good job addressing the mental/emotional aspects of the process. If I hadn't already been seeing a psychologist to address my food addiction, etc. there is no way the post-op period and complications wouldn't have sent me into a tailspin. I would have ended up depressed and completely regretting my decision, no doubt about it. Granted, I am one person and this is simply MY opinion.

If one is mentally unprepared to make the changes necessary, then the physical aspects are going to seem even more insurmountable. Then one person posts about it and someone else is feeling the same way, then before long you have a forum full of individuals that seem to be the vast majority. Again, perhaps had they had more than one or two meetings with a psychologist or whomever cleared them.

The complications I'm still experiencing at six months post-op are beyond frustrating. Living on anti-nausea meds and STILL not being able to eat certain foods truly sucks. BUT I knew the risks going in. I made the decision to either LIVE with (possible) complications from this surgery or DIE because I was horribly FAT. I chose to live with the complications. Given the choice, I'd still do it all again.

I'm in a simple mood today... So I will give a simple opinion :)

I think it's a combo of things, people sometimes like to gloss over the downsides when they have their heart set on something... I've seen many times when someone comes here in the "hoping"

Stages and reads something they don't like or someone gives them info that they don't want to hear they say something like "well hopefully that won't happen to me" and then totally disregard it. Even call the posters a buzz kill or negative!

Also the doctors, can you say big business?

They often have a nut and a psychologist that they refer to. These people for the most part collect their money and give you the green light.

I mean have you ever read about someone being denied for not being mentally prepared??

I may be wrong.. I would love to know if someone has ever NOT passed the psychological test.

I think you have to be pretty f****d up not to pass the psych eval honestly, although on another site I frequent one person could not get surgery because of "failing" the eval. Because I am such a nice person I didn't say "you couldn't pretend to be normal for 45 minutes".

*Edited to add there are people with real mental illness concerns and in my attempt at humor I don't want to disparage them. I completely believe you have to be mentally prepared before you remove 80% of your stomach.

I knew one person who didn't pass the first time, and was told they could come back for another evaluation in 3-6 months if they had therapy for the issue with someone who was familiar with bariatric issues.

I think you have to be pretty f****d up not to pass the psych eval honestly, although on another site I frequent one person could not get surgery because of "failing" the eval. Because I am such a nice person I didn't say "you couldn't pretend to be normal for 45 minutes".

While I hear what you're saying, I think it is ultimately better for the patient if they are honest and don't "pretend to be normal for 45 minutes". Done correctly, this evaluation is part of determining whether you're really ready to do the surgery from a mental perspective. I've seen too many people come through here who clearly weren't ready, and I feel so sorry that it wasn't caught before. Perhaps if they hadn't been basically telling the evaluator what they wanted to hear rather than being honest with the evaluator and themselves, they could have gotten some more support to be better mentally prepared. ANY surgery is stressful enough, but when it involves the kinds of things that you have to do to come out on the other side, I want to be as physically and mentally ready for the challenge as I can possibly be. I need to be tough to do this right.

I would be very interested to see what kind of correlation there is between the depth of pre-surgical program and the incidence of those expressing regrets. I'd be willing to bet there is a strong inverse correlation.

(OK, I know I'm speaking math-eze)

I wonder if more of those with regrets went through less/shorter requirements and preparation pre-surgery?

I technically passed my psych eval but was told that I needed to re-establish a relationship with my counselor. That was part of my requirements by the behaviorist to address my emotional eating issues. I was also told that my mental state had to be stable for a year before I could have the surgery because I have Bipolar II. So I'm not sure if my case was different because of the known mental issues or if it is standard for people that they see as 'questionable.' Then again, I came into the behaviorist appointment already making positive changes for the surgery like giving up soda, getting 64oz of Water a day, not drinking 15 minutes before/45 minutes after meals, evaluating my eating habits, etc.

Maybe it's just like everything in life, YMMV.

I would be very interested to see what kind of correlation there is between the depth of pre-surgical program and the incidence of those expressing regrets. I'd be willing to bet there is a strong inverse correlation.

(OK' date=' I know I'm speaking math-eze)

I wonder if more of those with regrets went through less/shorter requirements and preparation pre-surgery?[/quote']

You know that's hard to say because I remember specifically that two of the most recent regret stories where from women that went through the six month waiting and learning stage.

I for one had no waiting, I just had to take and pass some tests.. I probably was much less prepared than a lot of people around here.

I think your personal outlook on life might have bit to do with it.. I could easily sit here right now and feel regret for some things about this surgery,

But I don't. I do have baby tantrum here and

there though. :P

Now again remember I'm talking about people with no complications that's a different story and I'm not able to feel what your going through.

(OK, I know I'm speaking math-eze)

I wonder if more of those with regrets went through less/shorter requirements and preparation pre-surgery?

I don't think I can agree with your hypothesis, respectfully :). I had no waiting period at all. Many of the people who regret it said they knew what they were getting into. Some just hate it, some had complications. Maybe that's why most people pass the psyche exam - because unless there is a glaring red flag, there might not be a way to tell who is going to regret it/succeed/fail.

But since we are hypothesizing, I'd be interested in a regression analysis to see if there is a correlation between post op support and regret. Or better yet, comparison of post op time frame and level of regret, and compare the same subjects over time. Just some thoughts.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I think those with regret are entitled to feel how they feel. I regret lots of things in my life, but I'm still ok anyway. Hopefully these people are, too.