Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bizarre trend?

I think that a lot of times, dispite the hoops most of us have to jump through to get weight loss surgery, its not a well thought out decision. I see people here every day who I would not clear for surgery if I were in charge of their psych evals. BUT, you can't blame the facility because people lie. They put on a different face while they are in the office, so who knows.

I soooooooo do not regret my sleeve surgery! I can live the rest of my life like this, not a prisoner to food and be healthy, active and live a longer life.

Perhaps those who regret it had complications that have made their recovery and/or lives more difficult and I can understand that regret. But with anything in life there are consequences to our choices and we have to weigh out if the possible consequences (bad) would outweigh the possible benefits (improved living). It is a bit of a gamble because we can't be 100% sure we will have no complications.

The other regret may be those who have more serious need for counseling regarding food addiction and have not addressed it. In that case, counseling and work on the emotional side of things is very much in order!

I've absolutely, literally, zero regrets. I'm well within my goal and just a bit over two years out and have had no problems whatsoever. I had a couple of vaguely uncomfortable days immediately post-op, but then moved on to food and never looked back. I have to caveat this with a few things, though...

First, I live in a country with top-notch medical care and everything was coordinated and well-managed throughout the process (and still ongoing of course). The doctors and nutritionists and psychiatrists and surgeons in the clinic are all using the same program (customised as needed of course) with everyone, so I don't get conflicting answers or advice. They communicate seamlessly with my GP as well, which helps immensely. They have had me on a set program from the start, of pre-appointments, tests, post-op follow-up care, etc. So far, all my tests have come back stellar throughout.

Second, I didn't have an eating disorder pre-op (well, I did -- but it was anorexia and it was many years ago), so I don't have a food addiction or bad head hunger to contend with -- I always really feel for people who are battling food...the thing that keeps us alive. It's heart-breaking. I had a good sense of 'real' hunger pre-op and it never went away, so I've always had hunger throughout. For *me* this has not been a problem cos I am fine being hungry -- means it's time to eat. And when I'm full (also got my full signal back pretty quickly!), I stop. Apart from the odd overeating scenario where I feel overstuffed, I've never been sick or slimed or anything.

Third, I don't use shakes (they are not part of my program), so I was on 'real food' from the start. This I think helped with feeling satisfied and not getting any panicky feelings about 'starving.' I never had a problem eating or drinking.

Fourth, I got my calories up 1000+ as soon as I could. Being sub-1000 is a trigger for me (anorexia), so I was determined to eat healthy and well throughout the losing period. This made me a slower loser, but I didn't care about that. No hurry to 'get there' cos once you're there, what next? So I figured I'd enjoy the ride. And I have!

Finally, let's face it -- some of it is just dumb luck. I lucked out. In so many ways, I just got lucky. I am very grateful for that! And I'm always happy to support people who haven't been as lucky or who are feeling challenged or down or regretful. I don't expect anyone to feel like I do, and I understand all the kinds of reactions people can have to this surgery and how it changes your life. I'm 100% on your side -- all of you!! :wub:

Well it's about 20' date='000 here in Las Vegas & I have 2 insurances....Tricare doesn't cover it & the other doesn't cover anything bariatric.....So, I'm thinking Mexico as well.

My primary physician is totally on board with me.[/quote']

Not to hijack but...

You can have it done at a Military Treatment Facility(I did mine at SAMMC) and it is covered I will PM you:)

Aussie, have you felt bad since surgery or is this a new occurrence? I'm sorry you feel bad and hope it gets better soon!

Thanks Nicolanz. It's just been recently. I seem to be developing food intolerances and lots of vomitting and diarrhea. Eating is painful and just not worth it almost. The good thing is, I love being slim.

That's interesting. I'm reaching 6 months out and haven't had any problems yet. This is scary! I hope it subsides soon! Is it certain foods or everything makes you sick?

Thanks Nicolanz. It's just been recently. I seem to be developing food intolerances and lots of vomitting and diarrhea. Eating is painful and just not worth it almost. The good thing is' date=' I love being slim.[/quote']

Wendy, you still up?

I'm sorry you are going through it right now,

I was up a lot last night thinking about you..

Have you had a chance to talk this over with your doctor?

Still up Laura. I hate to be the cause of your insomnia. I will talk to my doctor soon. It's kinda complicated but I am feeling really bad for my partner, who loves to wine and dine. He says he is not worried but I somehow feel like I have ruined his life. I go out to dinner with him and try to act like it's all good but it's really not.

Still up Laura. I hate to be the cause of your insomnia. I will talk to my doctor soon. It's kinda complicated but I am feeling really bad for my partner' date=' who loves to wine and dine. He says he is not worried but I somehow feel like I have ruined his life. I go out to dinner with him and try to act like it's all good but it's really not.[/quote']

Your not the cause of my insomnia ( there's a lot that keeps me up at night in my own crazy world)

:P what does he say he's not worried about?

You getting sick to your stomach or the fact that you can't keep up with him in eating and drinking or that you can't eat rich foods?

Sorry I'm dumb as a stick this morning!

He says he is not worried if we don't go out to eat anymore. I mean, I can go to a restaurant but I get sick of the waiter trying to take my plate. It takes me for ever to eat an entree size meal and if there's something hidden in there my stomach won't tolerate I spend ages in the bathroom while he eats alone. I feel bad for him. This was my choice, but it has effected his life too.

He says he is not worried if we don't go out to eat anymore. I mean' date=' I can go to a restaurant but I get sick of the waiter trying to take my plate. It takes me for ever to eat an entree size meal and if there's something hidden in there my stomach won't tolerate I spend ages in the bathroom while he eats alone. I feel bad for him. This was my choice, but it has effected his life too.[/quote']

That does sound miserable! But I think you have to believe that when he says that he doesn't mind not going out to eat, you have to believe him. You are so much more important than a restaurant meal to him! Do take that guilt off of yourself at least?

I am glad that are thinking about talking to a doctor about all these new intolerances.

That does miserable! But I think you have to believe that when he says that he doesn't mind going out to eat' date=' you age to believe him. You are so much more important than a restaurant meal to him! Do take that guilt off of yourself at least?

I am glad that are thinking about talking to a doctor to all these new intolerances.[/quote']

Thanks for that Laura, I think I just need some time to work through these thoughts and get them in order. Anyways, how are you doing?

Thanks for that Laura' date=' I think I just need some time to work through these thoughts and get them in order. Anyways, how are you doing?[/quote']

Me?? I couldn't even tell you because I don't really know how I'm doing myself! Ah, but what else is new!

Went camping a couple of weeks ago, I think it was around the same time you went to the beach house?

You know I'm still adjusting to sleeved life I think for me it's more of a mental battle than a physical

One.