Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bizarre trend?

Please don't shoot me down, but I am going to be a Mexico sleever - May 7th. I've done tons of research, even switched surgeons after putting down a deposit for the first one. I am preparing by finding blogs and recipes and have bought baby sized containers in order to not over eat. I've been preparing close friends and family for the changes to come. I can't afford to see a counselor and am taking advantage of free counseling at my university to prepare. All that said, I do wish I had a nutritionist to even more clearly delineate every step. I've come to this forum looking for advice and tips but it seems everyone's own doctor has said something a little different. Some have said not to worry about Protein while others say it's important two weeks out. I believe that whether having a doctor in the states or Mexico- self preparation and taking long looks at our lives, what brought us to being overweight, past hurts/abuse, and an unhealthy relationship with food is key. Again, I'm presleeve , but I hope and pray this community will help me through the rough times and I will not regret it. I told my mom that even if I die of complications, at least I died trying, to put that on my urn and spread my ashes at the beach- where I've felt most free. It's scary to read all the regret stories, Mexico or not, but it inspires me to read more, be more informed, prepare even more, and ask questions- even simple ones.

Is there any chance your university has a nutrition class? Maybe it's a class you could audit or even find one of the textbooks fairly cheaply.

800 cals a day is a diet. :)

I understand your thinking on that. I guess I would say the difference between a traditional diet and this surgery is the fact that our stomachs only have so much capacity now.

Whereas before when we ate only 800 calories we were still not satisfied, and felt deprived.

Now it's a case of only being able to eat around 800 to 1000 calories a day. And because of that fact it also makes it very important to make MOST of those calories count with nutritious

food choices.

I'm not trying to minimize your feelings on this.

I will be the first to say this is hard. I feel hunger

Still and food is still the daily focus.

Nicole made a really good point too about upping your calories, perhaps that might help with the hunger and weight loss.

Laura,

Can I ask you....What do you mean you feel hunger? Are you full for 3-4 hrs or is it immediately after you eat a little?

Sorry, I haven't had the surgery yet & I thought with the sleeve you're full for 3-4hrs...

Thank you,

Molly

Laura' date='

Can I ask you....What do you mean you feel hunger? Are you full for 3-4 hrs or is it immediately after you eat a little?

Sorry, I haven't had the surgery yet & I thought with the sleeve you're full for 3-4hrs...

Thank you,

Molly[/quote']

Well first off I think feeling some hunger is normal, I mean we need the fuel that food provides..

Ok, so hunger and the sleeve (for me) if I eat just Protein I can feel full for a couple of hours, but definitely not 4 hours.

If you eat something that is not protein, hunger tends to come back quicker, and cravings (for me again) become more intense.

Another factor is the "head hunger" just as powerful if not more.

Food, we love it, it tastes good, and it's what got us here.

I would be lying if I said I only ate when I was hungry before and that can still hold true after surgery, especially after being some months out when eating is easier.

When I'm feeling head hunger it like I start obsessing about something my mouth waters and I want to "fill the hole"

Food is a powerful drug to me so hunger is still a slight issue.. Now can I eat the amounts I used to? No... But I can graze on **** if I let myself.

I think another thing that needs to be considered in regards to me, is that I would eat until there was pain, wait then eat more. So the pain from being full is not as big as a deterrent to me as it might be to others?

Thank you for your honesty! Are you pleased with your decision to have had this surgery? Sorry for the 100 questions.

SpaceDust- I think we should respectfully agree to disagree on certain points. As I said everyone has the right to their respective opinion and that was mine.

I absolutely agree that you have a right to your opinion, as I do to mine. I think that there are valid points on both sides, and it's good that we both presented our reasoning. Perhaps our conversation will help someone else find what's right for them in their battles! And regardless of how we make this work, it's most definitely an ongoing battle, whether it is with our minds, with physical and mental urges, with negativity and doubt. Good luck to us all.

Thank you for your honesty! Are you pleased with your decision to have had this surgery? Sorry for the 100 questions.

Molly,

You know I like you and your big smile!

I'm glad you are here asking and asking everyone is important because we all have different experiences!

Yes, Molly I'm very happy to have this opportunity, it's not perfect, it's not a miracle.

But it really does help in giving me a good chance at being a healthy weight. Like every says here its a "tool" and its what you do with it that counts in the end.

If this doesn't work... Next step lobotomy or medically induced coma. :o

Is it just me' date=' or has anyone else noticed the huge amount of people that "regret" this surgery?

I mean extreme regret? Not just the first couple of days of "**** this hurts what did I do" kind of stuff..

What gives? Why?[/quote']

I can't speak for everybody… But in my situation I had to surgery on April 1 and I'm still starving. Just that I would eat a lot less and would not be starving. Also thought I would drop more weight

Hi Laura, how are you? Here I am 6 months out, slim, healthy, and all I can think is "I WANT MY STOMACH BACK". This really is a tough journey!

I can't speak for everybody… But in my situation I had to surgery on April 1 and I'm still starving. Just that I would eat a lot less and would not be starving. Also thought I would drop more weight

You are so newly sleeved, are you on real food yet?

Hi Laura' date=' how are you? Here I am 6 months out, slim, healthy, and all I can think is "I WANT MY STOMACH BACK". This really is a tough journey![/quote']

No sh*t Aussie? Are you serious??

What's going on?

Thanks Laura & you know that you're one of my favorite Sleevers....You're awesome!

Thanks Laura & you know that you're one of my favorite Sleevers....You're awesome!

Thanks Molly :) that right there felt better than food :)

No sh*t Aussie? Are you serious??

What's going on?

Yes I am very serious !!! I am sick of being in agony every time I eat, I am sick of the slimes, I am sick of the dumping, I am sick of heartburn and reflux, I am sick of feeling like s h i t ! I love being slim but not sure it's worth it.

Yes I am very serious !!! I am sick of being in agony every time I eat' date=' I am sick of the slimes, I am sick of the dumping, I am sick of heartburn and reflux, I am sick of feeling like s h i t ! I love being slim but not sure it's worth it.[/quote']

Wow I didn't know you where feeling so bad :(

I do remember the handbag incident though!

This is a good point too. This surgery is the luck of the draw sometimes on how your body will react.

You know Wendy I've never had dumping or sliming and acid..

I do understand the pain when eating, I imagine that being at goal it would be frustrating when you just wanted to eat something!

And I understand not feeling well, it seems to happen to me more and more these days.. Is it the surgery? I don't know. But I feel like more things are breaking down now, it could be age.

I'm sad that you are not doing well.. It's a scary place to be in.