Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

something apropros Oprah said once--re: "the easy way out"

Well said!

Agree! I really thought this would be easier than it is but I was sure wrong about that.

And a frozen margarita would make me extremely happy:)

I remember once when Oprah had lost a lot of weight...she heard that people were saying things like "Well' date=' she's rich, it's easy to lose weight when someone cooks all of your food and does everything for you." She was talking about it on her show and basically said...she was the one who had to make healthful dietary choices every day and refuse her beloved Ruffles potato chips. Her wealth didn't do that for her. And she is the one who had to get her butt on the track and walk every day. She couldn't pay someone to do that for her.

I think it is so similar when people say that VSG is "the easy way out." We are the ones who have make sure that every morsel we put in our mouths is good fuel for our bodies and resist head hunger. The surgery doesn't do that for us. We're the ones who make special holiday meals for our families and then don't partake in most of it. The surgery doesn't do that for us. We're the ones who go to the gym even when the weather isn't good or we feel like going to bed early instead. The surgery doesn't do that for us. We're the ones who keep drinking (and drinking and drinking) Water when part of us would rather hang out with our old friend Diet Coke or Frozen Margarita. The surgery doesn't do that for us.

And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, the surgery is a tool, but I still feel that we own and deserve every hard-earned victory we see on the scale and every NSV. If others don't understand that, it's okay. I know that I haven't taken the easy way out, but I also know that what I'm doing is an investment in something very important--me. And that's something that money definitely can't buy.[/quote']

So true In so many ways. I haven't shared with many people, that I'm having surgery in May. One of the moms at my sons school had the sleeve done months ago. She's doing great.

I said to one of the other moms,"She looks great!" Her response was all of the negative comments you mentioned in your post. And I basically responded with, "that's actually not the easy way out. She had a painful surgery and is restricting her calories and exercising along with it". People just don't think things out before they blurt them out.

Amen! You put it so eloquently.

whoop whoop!!! This is definitely not an easy journey....

whoop whoop!!! This is definitely not an easy journey....

not easy...but very rewarding! :)

Well said! My surgery has been a breeze - very very easy for me. However, it was not an easy decision or an easy few days post surgery LOL! I had many things to consider - surgery like this is something you really have to prepare yourself mentally for, have finances for, etc. I work with people who think I took the easy way out, but I don't care what they think - they don't know how hard I tried to diet, exercise, fail, and repeat that pattern over and over. They don't know how I felt miserable before I had my surgery. They don't know I struggled with every bite of feeling guilty. They don't know how I looked at the scale and cried. I let my weight loss speak for itself - even with the negative people out there, I would do this ten times over! The freedom from food and those ill feelings are worth it.

I'm confused. If you CAN make sure you only put good fuel into your bodies and resist head hunger, if you CAN make good holiday meals for your family then not eat them, if you CAN go to the gym instead of lounging in bed -- why then do you need this surgery?

I let my weight loss speak for itself - even with the negative people out there, I would do this ten times over! The freedom from food and those ill feelings are worth it.

That's wonderful, Tiffany!!

I'm confused. If you CAN make sure you only put good fuel into your bodies and resist head hunger' date=' if you CAN make good holiday meals for your family then not eat them, if you CAN go to the gym instead of lounging in bed -- why then do you need this surgery?[/quote']

Are you serious? The point is that the sleeve is a tool and you still have to do the work involved to lose the weight. Obviously we need this tool to help us or none of us would need the surgery. If it was as simple as making a choice there wouldn't be people struggling with obesity. I would hope you understand that being that you're on a WLS forum.

I'm confused. If you CAN make sure you only put good fuel into your bodies and resist head hunger' date=' if you CAN make good holiday meals for your family then not eat them, if you CAN go to the gym instead of lounging in bed -- why then do you need this surgery?[/quote']

Is this a serious question? Or are you trolling?

it's a serious question as I try to live with someone who had this surgery. it does seem to me that many of the things I see and read on here, apply to any diet. isn't this surgery "tool" really nothing more then a diet? what is the difference? what is it that having major surgery does to your way of thinking, that just going on AND STAYING with a diet not do? I read on here that you've changed your way of thinking, the foods you eat, you give up carbs, alcohol & diet soda. you're willing to exercise. all of these things you'll do now, whereas before you wouldn't. you call no WL a stall, where as any diet calls it a plateau. what is the difference in your way of thinking, that changes because you had surgery?

For me, the surgery helped break the focus on food. Without hunger or the ability to over eat, it helped break that emotional connection to food and gave me the time and space I needed to make healthy habits, well habits!

it's a serious question as I try to live with someone who had this surgery. it does seem to me that many of the things I see and read on here, apply to any diet. isn't this surgery "tool" really nothing more then a diet? what is the difference? what is it that having major surgery does to your way of thinking, that just going on AND STAYING with a diet not do? I read on here that you've changed your way of thinking, the foods you eat, you give up carbs, alcohol & diet soda. you're willing to exercise. all of these things you'll do now, whereas before you wouldn't. you call no WL a stall, where as any diet calls it a plateau. what is the difference in your way of thinking, that changes because you had surgery?

Momto6ix

When you read "you can change your diet" and "you can do the exercise" it is confusing!. It's what makes the decision so hard. I ask myself constantly.....maybe I should just give it another try. The bottom line is......once you're overweight.......and all the habits are formed.....with no deterrents, it's hard to maintain any long term diet. With the cravings, the minimal losses, the difficulty with exercise, lack of self esteem, hunger pangs, on and on. If you're not obese, you just won't get it. A deterrent needs to be there. Not just to lose the weight, but to keep it off. The surgery is no walk in the park. There are risks, pain, restriction on intake or more pain and more risks.......always. That deterrent is what helps with the transition to being able to accomplish the changes needed and to stick with the lifestyle changes. And as you see the weight loss and feel the changes.......the self esteem changes add to the control. But it will still be all about maintaining that control and living with that deterrent the surgery accomplished. No-one wants to go thru that again or worse. I'm also hoping that once there, I will recognize how much better my life is and how much healthier I have become and my mind will get on board with my changes in habits to make it perrmanent. Just my take.