Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

I love all the new emoticons, some of them are too funny. I am very vivacious. When I speak to someone in person, I use a lot of hand motions and facial expressions, so using the emoticons help me convey myself more appropriately.

I hope you fell better soon, it sucks to gain back weight you have lost. I have gained 4 pounds back but I have neglected to update my ticker because I just got my first fill on Wednesday. Since the fill, I am tighter than a toddler's t-shirt on a grown man, so the 4 pounds should come off quickly, along with a few of their friends.

By the way, you are a very beautiful woman. Keep up the great work, you look fabulous.

:cursing:

Talks with hands? hee hee...I'm an interpreter (sign language) by profession. :mad:

Today is so much better than yesterday. Did some Gas-X and chilled the whole day. Stomach went doooooooown. :thumbup:

I posted this article I found...for you all to enjoy (hopefully) as much as I did. I found it beneficial.

How to eat healthier if…

You’re a serious snacker

The fallout: You may end up overeating. A healthy snack or two between meals is fine. They can keep blood sugar steady as well as allow you to rack up more servings of fruits and vegetables. “It’s when you snack in place of eating meals that you’re more likely to lose track of how much you’re eating.” Says Tara Gidus, R.D., an Orlando, Florida – based spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Of course, what you eat matters, too. Typical snack foods (chips, Cookies, pretzels) aren’t that nutritious or satisfying, so it’s easy to overdo them.

The Fix: To keep your energy up and hunger at bay, allow yourself two Snacks a day of 100 to 300 calories each. “Rather than a cookie or a candy bar, opt for something that feels like real food—half of a small sandwich, whole-grain crackers with cheese, a handful of nuts, baby carrots with hummus, or yogurt sprinkled with Cereal, ” says Gidus.

You’re a speed-eater

The Fallout: Gulping fod may set you up for stomach troubles (PR: or a spasm of PBing) “you take in excess air, which can lead to bloating.” Says Leslie Bonci, R.D., director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh medical Center. You also might not be chewing well. Saliva begins to break food down, and too little time in the mouth leaves more work for the rest of the digestive track. This may contribute to indigestion, says Ellie Krieger, R.D. host of the Food Network’s healthy Appetite. Finally, speed eating doesn’t give the brain time to catch up to the stomach; it needs atleast 20 minutes to get the message that your stomach is full. A recent study found that women who ate a meal in 30 minutes ate 10% fewer calories compared with those who wolfed one down in barely 10.

The Fix: Try to slow down. Avoid finger foods, and instead choose items you have to put on a plate and eat with utensils, such as stir fries and salads. Pause often, and drink Water throughout meals.( PR: in the case of our fellow bandsters do not drink 30 minutes before or after your meal)

You eat your way out of a bad mood

The Fallout: It may be soothing in the moment, but feeding your fears and frustrations, instead of confronting them, can lead to a cycle of more bad moods as well as steady weight gain. Many people turn to carbohydrates, in particular, which produce tryptophan, a type of amino acid that is used by the brain to manufacture serotonin. When the brain makes more serotonin, your mood improves, but only temporarily, says Judith Wurtman, Ph.D., a coauthor of The Serotonin Power Diet (Rodale Books).

The Fix: Stop to think about what’s bothering you before reflectively opening the cupboard. Then try a nonfood mood booster, such as taking a walk, seeing a movie, or calling a friend. If nothing but carbs will do, get the serotonin boost without triggering a binge, says Gidus. Opt for a whole-grain treat so atleast you get more Fiber and less sugar.

Healthy rehabilitation ideas:

“We started stocking some of the jars in our office with organic fruit instead of candy. So now I grab a plum, an orange…”

“Every Sunday night I boil eggs. I eat one every day for Breakfast during the week. I can eat it on the go, and it’s a good way to get some protein…”

“Whenever I have party leftovers, I send them home with the guests so I can’t binge..”

Thanks for the well wishes mi Banditos!

I didn't sleep much last night. I think it was the vicodine and I kept anticipating the pain would return so I would watch the clock until I could take another. I feel like someone punched me on both sides of my back (sore, but nowhere near the pain I had yesterday).

I am doubting the Shingles. I will watch the rash that he found (it is on my back, so that will make it tough).

After researching about the Kidney Stones, I am wondering about those too??? I didn't have any neausea, no vomiting, no blood in the urine, no stomach pains. I only had terrible back pain on both sides, so painful that I couldn't breath in without trembling with horrific pain??? I truly thought death was knocking at my door! Morphine is a miracle!

anywhoo~~

Lap~glad to hear that you are feeling better too. I have issues with my scale. When I thought it was broken (needed a battery), I was kind of relieved. I'm sure your gain will not be there when you weigh in a week. Your dedication to working out and eating healthy WILL pay off.

and thanks for sharing the article. I am/was a little of each type! (hopefully more of the WAS)!

Dear Tied2Bfit: Are you paying extra to stay overnight at the hospital after your surgery?

Dr. K doesn't require his patients to stay overnight. He is only doing my surgery in the Main OR and I'm only staying overnight because Anesthesiology requires it due to my family history of Malignant Hyperthermia. (an allergy to specific anesthetic agents that can cause death :eek:even up to 24 hrs post op)

The overnight stay is going to be considered 23 hrs of Observation and the hospital is charging me a self-pay charge of $1500.00. I will pay it the morning of surgery. They take check, credit card, debt card and cash! So many choices! What shall I do?:cursing:

How are you feeling lately?

My knees and hips have been killing me. Since I can't take any NSAIDS 1 week pre-op, I have been limping along. My bestfriend came and worked 4 hours of my shift yesterday! She saved my life! I would have died if I had to do another 12!

I didn't sleep much last night. I think it was the vicodine and I kept anticipating the pain would return so I would watch the clock until I could take another. I feel like someone punched me on both sides of my back (sore, but nowhere near the pain I had yesterday).

I am doubting the Shingles. I will watch the rash that he found (it is on my back, so that will make it tough).

After researching about the Kidney Stones, I am wondering about those too??? I didn't have any neausea, no vomiting, no blood in the urine, no stomach pains. I only had terrible back pain on both sides, so painful that I couldn't breath in without trembling with horrific pain??? I truly thought death was knocking at my door! Morphine is a miracle!

anywhoo~~

Lap~glad to hear that you are feeling better too. I have issues with my scale. When I thought it was broken (needed a battery), I was kind of relieved. I'm sure your gain will not be there when you weigh in a week. Your dedication to working out and eating healthy WILL pay off.

and thanks for sharing the article. I am/was a little of each type! (hopefully more of the WAS)!

Banditos -- Doritos!

Sorry! I was just dreaming of some salty carb friends!

Well, I am so glad you're feeling a bit better! Morphine is your friend! I can understand that!

I've never had kidney stones or shingles, but my bff had shingles and they looked so painful. I hope you feel better! Much better soon!

Love,

dee~

Hi Everyone,

Been really busy this weekend. I finished knitting a little dress for my niece's birthday in March. It really is cute, but a lot of work. Taught religious school class Sat and Sun, and worked out today. Went to a play, Plainsong last night, on my own, because I had to switch my tickets because of a class dinner on Friday night. Whew! Busy girl.

Mal - I had no idea you were under the weather. I get hives sometimes, but nothing as hard to deal with a shingles. Feel better soon. Don't worry the scale your body holds onto Water weight when you are sick.

Dee - you are going to be a bandster in two days and counting. Hugs and a swift recovery to you.

Lap - when I think of Florida I think of you. Take care and come see us sometime soon.

Hugs,

Michelle

Tied~ Are you freaking out yet? With excitment that is???

Mal~ I have had kidney stones twice. I swear birth was easier. I really hope that your feeling better soon!! I have been there, when I swore that I way going to die. I am saying a prayer for you!

Michelle, how was the play? My best friend wants to go see that! Let me know!

Happy Sunday!

Brandy

Dynamo~I am doubting that I have shingles, I think the doc was wrong on that one??? I will keep a watchful eye on the rash he found though.

Brandy~TWICE?? OMG!! how far apart were they? I am soooo terrified to go through that again. What happened when they passed? did you have to go to the ER? How did you feel after? I feel like someone punched me in the back on both sides and extremly exhausted! Thanks for the prayers. I honestly thought I was dying a painful death. I cry just thinking about what happened and thinking that I would hate to go through that again.

OMG!!! I just got home from the ER!!! LONG story short I had Kidney Stones! I have NEVER cried nor been in that much pain in my life, I literally thought I was dying a very painful death. AND the Dr. saw a rash on my back and said it looked like the begining of Shingles!!! GAWD what a day! and I was supposed to be in Winter Park taking my boys snowbording, but instead I was at a park in Denver watching them snowboard (I feel so bad that I had to cut their day short). Thank goodness we didn't go to WP!

I am on morphine and vicodine and something for the rash. But I am at home in my bed with my Buster and hubby trying to relax now.

has anyone ever had Kidney Stones before? I am absolutly terrified of it happening again!

Mal-- I get kidney stones alot, they suck and the last 2 I passed at home. If you cont to get them the drs. will run test to see what is causing them. Mine are calcuim based, which is funny because I don't drink that much milk. Good luck and drink lots of wter to help pass them, if you haven't passed them already.

bahot~I can't believe you passed tham at home! How often do you get them? I am just stunned by this entire thing?! I told the ER doc that no one in my family has ever had one, I take 1000mg of Calcium supplements a day and I also drink at least 80oz of Water a day? So why did this happen to me? He shrugged and said that many people get them, just to increase my water intake. I am annoyed and scared, very scared! I am going to my PCP on Thursday, I hope he can give me more info (I also see Dr. K, maybe he wil be able to shine some light on the issue as well??).

I hope you never get another one~I feel your pain!

anywhoo~~

Ohhhhh chica I just read where you had a kidney stone...awww God bless ya sweetie. I've got diverticulitis and that sux but I've heard kidney stones ARE like childbirth for men. (which means for women???still pain) Rest easy friend. I imagine you are so tired. Vicodin can slow the pipes so keep up on your Water and add some metamucil to it. Shingles do happen on the torso/back. They look a little like poison ivy. If you've had chicken pox, I'm told that virus is connected to shingles and in some, they appear spontaneously or under stress.

Tiedtobefit: Yeah, I'd stay for the extra 24 hours given that family history. Hope you get a good room with a view!!

Yeah, how lucky am I? Kidney Stones AND possible Shingles to come?!! ugghh, I wasn't stressed before, but NOW I am! I told the doc, my immune system is fine, I haven't been sick for along time (knock on wood) and stress? I'm not one to stress too much about anything. Thanks for the info, I will add my Benefiber to my Water and drink lots and lots!

bahot~I can't believe you passed tham at home! How often do you get them? I am just stunned by this entire thing?! I told the ER doc that no one in my family has ever had one, I take 1000mg of Calcium supplements a day and I also drink at least 80oz of Water a day? So why did this happen to me? He shrugged and said that many people get them, just to increase my water intake. I am annoyed and scared, very scared! I am going to my PCP on Thursday, I hope he can give me more info (I also see Dr. K, maybe he wil be able to shine some light on the issue as well??).

I hope you never get another one~I feel your pain!

Mal-- For a while I was getting about 2-3 stones every 6 months. They say in Colo we get dehidrated and that can bring them on. I heal with calcium instead of scar tissue so I produce alot of calcium I guess. It is worse than having a baby totally naturally (I know I did that 2x's). Once you pass them though the pain goes away. Hang in there and drinks lots of fluids. If you happen to pass it and find it, you can have them test it to see what kind it is. Then you will know if they will be reoccuring or not.

:tongue: Well I did 2.25 miles on the treadmill today (43 minutes) and I jogged 3/4 of a mile. I am so happy with myself.

Went to church this morning and had on a pair of pants that I bought this summer that was 1 size to small and they fit. They actually fit good, not tight. I was so happy. Plus my husband is taking me to STOMP in March, so who knows by than I could be down another size.

I made a pack with myself that I am going to do the treadmill 6 days a week, so I need everyones help to keep me on top of that. Ask, yell and encourage me to reach this goal. PLEASE AND THANK YOU for helping me do this, I need this help to keep me on track.

I have my first fill on Tuesday and I have to admit I am nervous. Natalie said she would hold my hand since my husband has to work.:eek:

:eek:

Talks with hands? hee hee...I'm an interpreter (sign language) by profession. :tongue:

Seriously Lap that is so cool! I have my proficiency in ASL. It has been about 7 years since I have used it so it has all but left me. I really wish I would have kept up with it! I LOVED it. I would love your job.

Have a question for you gals. I am doing really well, feeling great. My incisions are healing nicely. My problem is I am all of a sudden having some port pain. Or what I perceive as port pain. I used to be able to sleep on my sides and my stomach, but last night I had a hard time getting comfy. My stomach is very tender all of a sudden. I am not running a fever so I am not worried about an infection per say... but I am just curious why now, 1+ week after that I am having some discomfort. Anyone else have that?