Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

When to leave...?

I am looking at flights to Denver & trying to figure out when I should leave after my surgery. I am probably going to fly in on a Tuesday evening. My pre-op is Wednesday and my surgery is Thursday at 1 pm. I can't decide if I should leave on Friday or Saturday. Dr. K said that I can come back and see him on Friday if I'd like, but most of his patients don't feel that it's necessary. Will I feel like flying on Friday?

I had surgery on a Wednesday at 9 a.m. and flew home the next day at 9 a.m. (which meant getting to the airport at about 7:30). I survived it, and it was good to be home in my own bed, but I really don't recommend it. I should have waited until that evening or even Friday morning. Since your surgery is in the afternoon, I'd probably go ahead and wait until that next day if you are able to arrange it. Good luck!

Marcy~you made it past the hardest part and that is just going...you did it, kep it up, don't be a slacker like me! I have done Jazzercise for years and I plan on joining again this year, I just love that kind of excercise, it's like dancing and who doesn't like to dance (besides Woofay...lol). Anyway keep it up good for you!!

Dynamo~oh no! sorry to hear about your Library book.

yummm chocolate cake and marshmallow cookies....no, you did the right thing, get rid of it...gosh why did I turn into such a "sweets" freak???

Brandy~congrats on the loss..good bye pounds and never come back!! Dr. K does not numb before the fill, it really is nothing, it's like a shot feeling and he has always hit my port on the first try.

viri~deffinalty if you can, stay an extra day, allow yourself the extra time. I had no problems after surgery, I went shopping at Walmart and walked around the neighborhood. But evryone feels different. I have always been a fast healer.

Taynuh~how are those adorable babies??? give them hugs and kisses form your LB buddies!

Lap~where are you???

Viri - I concur with other in staying the extra day. I had my surgery Tues. morning and flew home Thurs. night. It wasn't so bad, but I was glad that I had a few days without all my "at home responsibilities" (even if it's putting the dishes away). In the end, what's another $100 for hotel and $20 (at most) for a pet care place? (or free if you have a good friend). Really, you want your recovery to go as smooth as possible!

Hello Viridescence, I would definetely suggest that you wait until Saturday. I had my surgery on Thursday at 12:30 P.M. and I would never have been able to leave the next day. Saturday morning I left and was VERY thankful that I waited.

If you have not booked your hotel yet, check out hotels.com, if you book the Radisson Hotel Denver Southeast through hotels.com, you can get the rooms for around $55 a night and they are normally over $100 a night. They are remodeling part of the hotel so they have special pricing on hotels.com. That is where I stayed and it was a gorgeous hotel. The hotel was about 5 minutes from Dr. K's office and about 10 minutes from the hospital. Just a thought, if you are interested.

Marcy~ LMAO over the low toilet comment. wink.gif I totally GET that. We remodeled our old bathroom in Milwaukee and got one of those chair height toilets. That thing was wonderful! silly.gif Never thought I would miss a toilet.

Viri~ My surgery is also on a Thursday at 1pm. I am leaving on a Sunday (but we are visiting family in town). If we weren't doing the family thing I would probably have scheduled Saturday. give yourself the extra time.

Bahot~ So glad you are feeling well! Congrats on making it to the other side and starting your new journey!

Brandy~ Awesome job on inching closer to ONEderland. That is such a far away dream of mine; I can't imagine your excitement! Way to go! happy.gif

Well I mailed off my check yesterday, so I guess I am done with the second guessing myself. I am more excited now than freaked, relieved my emotions seem to have settled a bit. Hopefully it will stay that way!

I also had the pleasure of meeting Miss Mona last night. She and her husband were both a delight and it was plain eerie how much in common we have. I am relieved to have found an ally fairly close to home! She looks great and you would never know she just spent 5 days in the hospital!

Thanks everyone for the advice about when to leave. :)

And thanks Mona for the hotel recommendation -- I haven't made that reservation yet. It does look beautiful and that rate is less expensive than the hotels on the list that Natalie gave me.

Virid,

If you're having your surgery at Parker Surgicenter there are 2 hotels about 2 mins from the center. The Holiday Inn Select and The Hampton Inn. I don't DO Hampton Inn because they were total jerks after my accident on their property, BUT The Holiday Inn Select is beautiful and when it snowed so much last December here in Denver, I was stuck at the hospital for 3 nights. The night shift slept in the room during the day and the day slept during the night. The bed is ultra comfortable and the showers are amazing! There is also a Walgreens up the road on Parker and several resturants next door for hubby to eat at! Red Robin has great French Onion Soup (or so I've heard!):hungry:

dee~

Michelle, You're right! We can't beat ourselves up so much but lately it's been horrible with me. Perhaps it's because I'm PMS'g (good excuse!) but it's like I could eat a horse and still be hungry! Has anyone tried horse grilled on a George Foreman grill?

I always will, should always, try to always, put my bad food in the sink and pour Water on it! I've never gotten food out of the trash (unlike George Constanza) but something about putting it in the sink and pouring water on it makes it so much less appetizing!

Thanks Mal! I need to support Girl! Can't wait to see you at RR!

Tina, I will accept your mantra! It's not IF but when! Are you enjoying those babies? They laugh at me at work because I just love babies! Sometimes I go on and on about how cute one is -- I'm sure they want to push me out the window!

Mona, how are you feeling? Have things gotten better?

LA, I wanted to address your question on vomiting. Vomiting is more a symptom of an illness. A person doesn't have to vomit unless it's a case of food poisoning and then I'm not sure what would happen if you couldn't. Perhaps it would go out the other direction. OR you would just vomit. Vomiting from the lower pouch would be a problem. To answer your question, using an antiemetic is the best thing to do. Mare was on the right track when she used the suppositories from the surgery.

Mare, are you doing okay now? Are you going to join us at RR?

I've been exercising about 30 mins a day! Stop before you think, "wow! that's great!" It is, but it is in 10 min intervals. I don't have the stamina to ride my recumbent bike for more than 10 or 12 mins at a time. Too fat! BUT I can do 3-10 min sessions. My friend's Mom who was in her late 70's when she did this, came to visit my friend and she started riding her recumbent bike every morning. She could only ride it for 3 mins the first day, but by the end of the 6 wk visit, she was up to 45 mins! She's my hero! What a gal! That's my goal to work myself up to longer and longer times. Bless her heart, she passed away at Thanksgiving this year, but what a sweet sweet woman! And I will always use her as my inspiration that anything is possible for anyone!

Hugs!

dee~

Damn PMS! Now I need a tissue, I'm sure a cry baby!!!

Thanks Dee! Yes, I am having my surgery in Parker. :)

Now I'm hungry too...mmm, French Onion soup...

30 mins of exercise is great -- doesn't matter if it's in 10 min intervals. Good job!

Virid,

If you're having your surgery at Parker Surgicenter there are 2 hotels about 2 mins from the center. The Holiday Inn Select and The Hampton Inn. I don't DO Hampton Inn because they were total jerks after my accident on their property, BUT The Holiday Inn Select is beautiful and when it snowed so much last December here in Denver, I was stuck at the hospital for 3 nights. The night shift slept in the room during the day and the day slept during the night. The bed is ultra comfortable and the showers are amazing! There is also a Walgreens up the road on Parker and several resturants next door for hubby to eat at! Red Robin has great French Onion Soup (or so I've heard!):hungry:

dee~

The babies are good... my 2.5 year old, Tessa, is adjusting to sharing the limelight and my new 10.5 month old son, tanner, is happily integrated into the family. He is a very sweet and smiley baby and I thank G-d for giving me two awesome babies. Now, if he'll just make the terrible two's and their companion tantrums end soon.... life would be perfect! LOL The tantrums are getting less frequent and shorter in duration, so maybe he's hearing my prayers... or maybe it's just part of the adjustment phase and things are settling down. My little gal is potty trained now, so we're gonna go shopping and pick out some big girl panties so that she'll want to keep the potty training going... Plus, daycare is insisiting that wearing pull-ups as a back-up encourages relapses... me I just know that they prevent accidents from being messy... oh well, I guess I have to let her venture into the world of being a big girl some day... accidents and all... It just seems like these last two months so much has been pushed on her... big girl bed, new brother, potty training and now, this week, preschool.... hmmm, I guess I'd have a few tantrums a day too...

Otherwise all is well... and aside from the tantrum part, having two is really not much more work (just more coordination and planning really). Well, okay and daycare just doubled...

Tina

Hi everyon, just found this thread for Dr. K! I am being banded on 1/9/08 at the Crown Point Surgery Center - I am SO scared, anxious, excited and nervous!! How are the people at the surgery center - This thread is very long i know - how is everyone doing on their progress that has had the band done by Dr. K? Significant weight loss? I am very excited, and ready to do the work - but I am SO terrified of going through this and NOT losing any weight! Can anyone ease my fears? :)

Hey Sunshine and welcome.

I just had my lapband done on 1/3/08. I'm already down 9 lbs from when I started my pre-op diet. I feel pretty good again today. Just woke up abt 4am with nausea really bad, waited until about 6:30 than called Dr. K because I had started dry heving. He called in another prescription for me and I have felt better ever since.

The people at the surgery center were all wonderful...and they were even dealing with a jerk of a husband when I was there. But they still kept their cool.

I am a little scared I have to get out of my sweats today and put on something nice to go to my oldest daughter's volleyball parent meeting. Not sure how that will go, because like I sd I am still a little sore.

Well, I'm off to get ready...

Have a great weekend.

:confused:

Marcy~you made it past the hardest part and that is just going...you did it, kep it up, don't be a slacker like me! I have done Jazzercise for years and I plan on joining again this year, I just love that kind of excercise, it's like dancing and who doesn't like to dance (besides Woofay...lol). Anyway keep it up good for you!!

Dynamo~oh no! sorry to hear about your Library book.

yummm chocolate cake and marshmallow cookies....no, you did the right thing, get rid of it...gosh why did I turn into such a "sweets" freak???

Brandy~congrats on the loss..good bye pounds and never come back!! Dr. K does not numb before the fill, it really is nothing, it's like a shot feeling and he has always hit my port on the first try.

viri~deffinalty if you can, stay an extra day, allow yourself the extra time. I had no problems after surgery, I went shopping at Walmart and walked around the neighborhood. But evryone feels different. I have always been a fast healer.

Taynuh~how are those adorable babies??? give them hugs and kisses form your LB buddies!

Lap~where are you???

HERE I AM!!!

Hi friends.

I have been head into family and daughter was home for three weeks-a month. She's very much pregnant and doesn't like Texas at all. Yeah, my daughter not liking something isn't a thing you can miss. So she and hubby are back in Texas and I've been recovering from the holidays.

Hi Sunshine! You'll love Crowne once you drive up and see it looks like a ski lodge in Winnepeg. I'm a Florida gal so I'm use to everything having palm trees and Water. That is architectually one of the most beautiful places with the stone work in the lobby. Also the sculptures of the children on the right side at the entrance. You'll love it.

Great surgery center. Clean, inviting, friendly folks and Dr. K is absolutely the best. He is a GREAT teacher. I say that about him because he is so very methodical in explaining what he will do, how he will do it, what to expect and there is no rush to his process. I cannot say enough about him just....congrats! that you picked an amazing surgeon.

How did everyone do during the holidaze? Ask me if I pigged out...go ahead..ask. NOOOO!

Because??? I CAN'T!! hahahahha. LOVE IT.

I now begin the phase I hate. Excercise. Yeah. It starts Monday. It pains me to excercise but I will lose twice as fast if I do. I can almost put money on it.

Shout out to my girls!!! Heyyyyy.

Denise,

Thanks for the reply.

What does your soreness feel like -

You did sit ups? Burning, Throbbing pain? I am so incredibly nervous I can't believe it. I have barely eaten on my preop diet because I cannot think of ANYTHING else but wednesday.

If your kids are younger - are you able to pick them up yet?

Thats one thing I am worried about -

I will not have to lift my 2 year old son who is about 35 pounds for a week - but when I go to back to work after that, I will have to get him ready in the morning and such.

thanks!