Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Happy Happy Happy Birthday Michelle!!!

If I had known, I'd a baked you a cake! (and then eaten it for you too!)

:happybday2:

OK, so I've got a friend that I tried getting to go get the band with me last summer, but now she's decided she wants the gastric sleeve. Has anyone heard of this...she says that the "reports look promising"...I thought this was pretty new and experimental. I have since learned that her idea of research is a lot less than my idea. We talked a bit about it last night. She is definitely and "excuse person" with all the excuses she makes about how she is just "hungry all th time" and it has nothing to do with WHAT she eats or HOW MUCH she eats. I watched her eat at a New Year's Eve party and the size of bites she could get in her mouth were ginormous! I very gently (although this is not my nature) explained about "head hunger" etc. after the surgery and that there are ways to get around all the surgeries. Incidentally, her mom had a RNY bypass several years ago, lost a bunch of weight - looked like she had cancer, then gained back almost 50lbs. I think my dear friend is looking for a quick fix and I don't think she's going to find it under a knife!

Anyhoo...I've been the same weight since I got back from the cruise in November....It's suckin' and I'm ready to go get a fill. I won't be able to get to Anchorage until Feb. so it'll be a while. I've done really good excersizing though and have stretched out enough to lower myself to the toilet without too much comedy! :-)

Sunshine and all the other "newbies" - let it be known that I had an EXCELLENT recovery. I slept on my side the first night and my tummy after 3 days. I was stiff, but in very little pain...to note, I took my pain pills regularly (one, not two) which took the edge off enough to go for walks (Target and Dollar Store - stuff we don't have here). I also started on mushies within a couple of days and regular food (chewed up well) after about a week. I was eating regularly after about 3 weeks. I have a 2 yr old too and my husband went on a trip a week after my surgery...she was great...I helped her climb in and out of the crib and just sat down for her to get into my lap...she adapted and so will your child...remember, you need to recover and not to push it...I did notice that the first few times that I DID carry her that my tummy was sore (not painful, just sore) for a day afterwards. Good luck! Mine is a "good" story of the band...just wish I'd start losing again!

Happy Birthday to you.... Happy Birthday to you.... Happy Birthday Dear Michelle..... Happy Birthday to you......

:happybday::P

:)

Happy Birthday Michelle! :) :) :)

Not much new here. Just a waiting on my Surgery date. Next week already! :) Waa hoo!

Another item to check off the list coming up this afternoon...my nutrition phone consult with Paula Pierce. I don't expect any surprises there.

It's all coming together. I don't get the paperwork for my financing until the 14th (one month before surgery) and I wish that were already in place too. I still have this nagging feeling that something could go wrong.

I haven't mentioned the need for time off to work yet -- it's still more than a month out. I'll let them know then. I don't intend to give a reason, but as I'm fairly new in the job I might have to since I think I'll have to burn a sick day. I would not be specific, though; I don't want anybody to know.

Viri - make sure that the people that need to know, know. I have felt like my body was under a microscope for the world to comment on all my life. I told my family and set ground rules that they couldn't ask or comment about me or my weight loss. I also let them know they were part of the problem. They had some trouble accepting this, but that was part of my healing processs - setting limits. My experience is that weight loss with the band is slow and steady (and also not steady) and that people notice you have changed but don't always see the weight loss. Take heart, if you want privacy it is there - people are self centered. Good luck with your choices - the band is a journey.

Thanks to all who offered the birthday wishes. I love you, my heart is here because you all get me. My 58th year - wow! I feel better than I have in the last 10, and it isn't only about the weight, it is about the feeling of self worth that I have been developing. It is going to be a great year!

Who's coming to Red Robin on Thursday night?????

I'll be there at 7.

Hugs all,

Michelle

Good morning, All!

I plan to be there! Weather permitting, of course. Who all will be there??? This holiday season was rough without my food to help me through it. Funny that I need to get through it when I love that time of year. Looking forward to our gathering!

Also, I am going to call the Doc's office today to get a slight unfill. Probably .2cc. I'm just too tight and tired of Pbing and only keeping in yogurts, heath shakes and cottage cheese. I find myself grazing all day because I just can't get enough of a meal in at a time. Then I resort to the bad things, like chocolates and Cookies, cuz they are easy and I know they stay down.:) This probably doesn't make any sense, does it? I left it too tight on purpose all through the holidays because I know me and it's a big time for me to eat and gain weight. Now it's just time to eat better and that means being able to eat some meats! (I miss meats) WHERE'S THE BEEF! or chicken or any animal protein...

Happy birthday, Dynamo!

Brandy: Thanks for the suggestion I'll try it.

I have my post op appt tomorrow, Natalie called this am to see how I was doing and gave me a few other suggestions. I walked on the treadmill last night for 30 minutes and am really surprised that it helped me not feel as sore. So I'll have to keep that up.

Which Red Robin do you all go to, and are newbies welcome?:)

:eyebrows:

I just read this and thought you'd find it interesting!

January 6, 2008

FRom "The AGE" - Fairfax, Australia

Jason Dowling

OBESE people as young as 14 would get free weight-reduction surgery under a radical Australian Medical Association proposal to tackle the obesity crisis.

The Opposition and health groups have backed the scheme for publicly funded weight loss surgery, which was proposed by the association in a submission to the State Government.

The most common weight-reduction operation is lap-band surgery, in which a band is placed around the stomach to constrict it and reduce hunger.

Entire article:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/free-surgery-plan-to- fight-obesity/2008/01/05/1198950131112.html?s_cid=rss_news

How progressive!!!

Someone in government did the math! Wow.

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: sending some birthday love to Michelle:kiss2::kiss2: :clap2: and next year you'll look even HOTTER!

Dynamomini said:

Viri - make sure that the people that need to know, know. I have felt like my body was under a microscope for the world to comment on all my life. I told my family and set ground rules that they couldn't ask or comment about me or my weight loss. I also let them know they were part of the problem. They had some trouble accepting this, but that was part of my healing processs - setting limits. My experience is that weight loss with the band is slow and steady (and also not steady) and that people notice you have changed but don't always see the weight loss.

I very much remember this conversation Michelle. This is good advice to give.

*Right now I'm getting the 'WHEN DID YOU HAVE YOUR SURGERY??*:guess I want to say: "When I couldn't climb stairs and sit in the driver's seat without my stomach hitting the steering wheel.:eyebrows:

((slow and steady wins the race))

Wish I was going to Red Robin with you all. Would love love love to see each and every one of you.

MAL: I am definately in the zone and I definately hit my sweet spot. Although I am up by four pounds (no doubt from the parties, gourmet chocolates and sleeping until noon...I know I gained 12 pounds last Christmas holiday. Plus, I figure atleast one pound of it is due to not taking my Water pill for two days. I am very happy with the restriction level I have and

TODAY is the day I start the excercise regime. First goal...10 minutes. I will walk with my husband for 10 minutes ( or more). The weather is in the 70's, clear skies so 'til perfect beach walking weather.

This is going to be an awesome year!

Hugs to all and onward we go! *SUNSHINE...smile friend, compared to childbirth, this surgery is ACES. I have two children (grown) but had my ovary removed when my son was 2 and my daughter was just under 4. This procedure is a walk in the park. I found the most complex part of the surgery to be making logisitcal arrangements from Florida to Colorado and learning the city of Denver. The surgery itself was a minor blip on the radar. **Think of it like having a day to take a nice long nap and if you really want to stretch it...two maybe three days.** From my other surgery how I handled the kids was to sit and let them crawl up in my lap. You want it all to heal nice and tidy...remember that. Everyone can navigate the barge left for one month while Mommy's tummy gets all better. Keep us posted.

Sunshine, As of this morning (4 days post-op) I am not in too much pain. If anything you could pass it off as craps. But I think if you take a week off you will be fine.

I have moved on to the mushie phase of my post op diet does anyone have any good suggestions on what to eat? I hit the treadmill yesterday for a whole 5 minutes, hopefully I can up it to 10 today (we'll see).:)

I created this a few days ago for my hubby.

Fat free, sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix.

2 FULL scoops of chocolate Protein Powder

2.5 (two AND a half) cups of fat free milk.

It will take it a little longer to set but it will.

The pudding is great and the Protein powder gives it more substance than "just" the pudding.

Next time I'm going to try 3 scoops with 2.75 cups of milk, then 4 scoops and 3 cups but I'm sure that there will be a point where it won't set because the pudding ratio is too low.

ONE MORE:

Clean a head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces of roughly the same size. Put in medium saucepan, add enough chicken broth to cover about 2/3rds the way. Bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the cauliflower starts to fall apart (very, very mushy).

Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon remove cauliflower and put in mixing bowl, using your electric mixer mash the cauliflower adding back the hot chicken broth until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes (or softer if you want).

Add 1-2 tablespoon(s) of reduced calorie Miracle Whip. Salt & Pepper to taste. YUMM! I've served this to friends and they have no idea that it is cauliflower. You can add a dash of red pepper, Hungarian paprika or curry powder if you want to change it up.

OK, so I've got a friend that I tried getting to go get the band with me last summer, but now she's decided she wants the gastric sleeve. Has anyone heard of this...she says that the "reports look promising"...I thought this was pretty new and experimental.

I'm in San Antonio visiting Mark's family and I just saw a short about it on the news. From the news report, my understanding is that it is only "just now" in clinical trials so it is a long way from being approved by the FDA. BUT I don't know much about the approval process in the U.S.

Woofay - I think you need an unfill too. Sometimes more isn't better. The other thing that I am doing and it seems to help is to divide my day into five meal/snack segments. So I stop the grazing. In between meals are Protein Shakes, yogurt and today I had a cup of Kashi Cereal with light soy. My meals are from 200 - 400 calories. My day is around 1360 which is my BMR (basal metabolic rate). Not grazing is a big boost for me, I have picked up the knitting needles, and settled things with the IRS, they halved their bill, and I decided that fighting was more trouble than it was worth.

Red Robin List (copy and paste)

Going to be there: Thursday January 10th 7 pm

Dynamo (Michelle)

Tied2BFit (Dee)

Mal

Marilyn (I HOPE)

Woofay (weather ???)