Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi all, thanks!!! I still feel pretty good, just so tired. Yesterday I got some plain Protein powder that I am adding to my liquids. This morning I was trying to walk around the suite some and I just feel really out of breathe. At least I get to see Dr. K though and ask him about this.

Did any of yal experience? Is it normal?

Oh, and today was the first morning that I woke up hungry. I am sipping some Water and sf Jello until I can get some broth. Oh, and my stomach is hurting a bit. I wonder if it is the whey Protein Powder. I may have to take it back and get another type. Any suggestions on this. What did yal do to make sure you got Protein in during this clear liquid stage?

Thanks!!

Congratulations skyeblu! You have now crossed over to the Light Side. It sounds like you are going to be one of those quick healers. I was not that type, I was more the whining baby sort for at least a couple weeks. Not being hungry is pretty normal. Ride that pony for as far as it will take you. You'll be hungry soon enough.

Hi there Drew and Kirsten, seems like everyone is doing well in Bandsterland.

Shesha, I don't think I'm on a swelling cycle with the PBing, because it seems like I am able to eat pretty normally at lunch time. Just not in the morning or at night. Now that I am getting the feeling for the band I'm PBing less now. I still engage in recreational PBing pretty regularly, but it's not because I have to. :heh: I think it's going to be OK. If I can avoid fills for a while longer, I'll be fine with that.

One big problem I've had with the band so far is figuring out how to deal with all the little get togethers at work. We've been having some personnel transitions lately and thus a lot of happy hours and farewell parties, etc. In the past I've never been hesitant to partake of the goods, so I think people are wondering what's going on. I really don't want to tell people about the band yet. So far I've just been saying that I've developed quite a crack habit, and it tends diminish my appetite.

I just got an e-mail from work asking if anyone has the keys to our reception desk. Hmm, not a good sign. I guess I picked the wrong week to stop smoking crack.

See yousse later.

Mark

Hi all, thanks!!! I still feel pretty good, just so tired. Yesterday I got some plain Protein powder that I am adding to my liquids. This morning I was trying to walk around the suite some and I just feel really out of breathe. At least I get to see Dr. K though and ask him about this.

Did any of yal experience? Is it normal?

Oh, and today was the first morning that I woke up hungry. I am sipping some Water and sf Jello until I can get some broth. Oh, and my stomach is hurting a bit. I wonder if it is the whey Protein Powder. I may have to take it back and get another type. Any suggestions on this. What did yal do to make sure you got Protein in during this clear liquid stage?

Thanks!!

:nervous I am happy for you. Congratulations!!!

I just called Dr. Kirshenbaum's office and spoke to Marilyn who is sending me an email with the details for my surgery. I'm feeling really good about this doctor.

Skye....I don't remember being too tired....but I was definitely sore around the port area! But everyones reaction to anesthesia is different, so it could be that...or, if you're taking the pain meds he prescribed, that could be why you're so tired! (I only took mine at night so i could sleep!).

For Protein, I used a Protein powder mixed in Water.....and that helped not feel hunger I think!

Mark....I hear you on the "social" struggle. I have not told many people about my surgery so when I am invited to happy hours or other meals, I either just don't eat much and people for the most part don't seem to notice b/c they're too busy socializing, or I will say "i'm trying to cut down on carbs" or "I'm on a diet"....i figure that is all they need to know! :)

Good luck kicking that crack habit! ;-)

Mark- Thanks, I have finally started feeling kind of hungry today.

Lap Dancer- Thanks, I think you would really like Dr. K. The entire staff was really nice. He was eager to answer any questions.

Kirsten, I will keep using the Protein powder then. I have just been adding some to my broth and juice since last night.

For some reason I have been feeling really out of breathe. I talked to Dr. K about it today. He checked my legs for blood clots, my oxygen level, and my lungs. I thought he was very thorough. He gave me some breathing exercises to do. He told me to call by 4:00 if I wasn't feeling any better.

Skye....keep in mind you ARE In CO....so the elevation is way different than you're used to!! Plus, you may feel like you're out of breath b/c of the anesthesia....thats why they tell you to try and take as deep of breaths as you can after surgery so you can make sure you regain your full lung function.

Those of you that used Kirshenbaum from out of state, what was the process like? I have no idea what to do first. I have insurance, but think I will be a self-pay.

Those of you that used Kirshenbaum from out of state, what was the process like? I have no idea what to do first. I have insurance, but think I will be a self-pay.

What happened with me is first I called the doc's office (www.lapbandrockies) to set up a phone consultation with Dr. K. I lined up my consult for about a month later. When the time came to talk with the doc I had pretty much made up my mind at that point so there was not a great need to talk at length. I had already done a lot of reading on this forum and I had a pretty good idea what it was about. I spoke to Dr. K for about 20 minutes. I then talked to the office manager to set up a date for surgery. In the meantime I was contacted by the nutritionist who sent me some information by e-mail. After I reviewed this information I had a consultation with the nutritionist.

Next I made my plane reservations and hotel reservations. I sent payment to the docs office about a week before the surgery date, and a week later I was a banded man. Once you have the band you can either go back to Dr. K for "fills" for the band, or you can find a local doctor for that.

As you can see the process itself is simple. The complicated part is dealing with all the doubts and second-guessing that naturally goes along with having surgery. Most people usually have episodes where they "change their mind" and decide that they really don't need the surgery. This usually does not last long because the truth is, it's almost impossible for most of us to tackle a major obesity problem through diet and exercise.

The next phase comes after surgery. When the surgery is over many people have times where they wonder "Oh, my god, what have I done to myself. I'll never be able to eat [XX] again!!!" All of that is common, and natural. For some people these issues are really difficult. But again, you get through that pretty quickly because you can still enjoy food when you have the band. You usually find that your preferences naturally change, but for most people living with the band is not a deprived life.

So, all that type of stuff can be quite complicated. But the process itself is pretty simple.

Dr. K and his crew really are a good team. He's a very fine, experienced surgeon. The surgery facilities are excellent. And besides that you can't beat the price. He may not stay so affordable forever. But for now he's got about the best price in the US.

Best of luck getting your plans worked out.

Ditto what Mark said!! Although I didn't meet the Dr. until the day before my surgery, I had my "consult" w/him by phone and same for the nutritionist. But It couldn't have worked out any better!! Good luck!

I am working with Dr. K and will get banded in mid April. I have a vacation to Mexico the end of March and don't want to be healing and unable to swim. I have been very impressed with his method. He explained the surgery in great detail with pics of what he does. A little icky! I liked that he stiches the band to the stomache wall, and seems very competent. I know that all of us heal differently, but I will it my goal to eat healthy and be ready for this. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you all so much for posting. The whole process is a bit overwhelming.

Did you have to see a thearpist or nutrionist in person? What lab tests had to be performed?

Just wantes to introduce myself to all of you. I just scheduled my surgery with Dr.K for March 21 and I am excited to start this journey and a little bit scared. I have sent a couple of private messages to Kristen and want so thank her for being so helpful. I really think its great how friendly and helpful everyone seems to be on this site. My sister is going with me, but was wondering to those of you who already had the surgery. How long till you could be active. I have a two kids 3 and 5 and I have my own cleaning buisness and didn't know how much time to take off work. Any ideas??

867....since you are self pay, you will not need to see the (insurance required) therapist or nutritionist. If you want to set up a meeting w/the nutritionist while you're in CO, you certainly can, but she is also available by phone and email, so you don't necessarily need to meet w/her in person.

CHULA...WELCOME and CONGRATS on scheduling your surgery!!! I would say after about 4 days I was up and about....there was still some soreness for about 2 weeks, but nothing that I couldn't get through (w/out pain meds). Not sure if that helps you in your planning, but you've come to the right place to ask questions! :)

If I have the surgery on a Tuesday, more than likely would I be able to return to work the following Monday? My job is a sit down job. No lifting, not alot of walking.

Anyone?