Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Wow I can't believe there is a surgeon that is doing it for that price on CO. I had mine done in Mexico, but only because I wanted a surgeon that had done lap band procedure more than 2000 times. My surgeon had done it over 3000 and he said the procedure took about 25 min. while he was inside my stomach. That meant less time under anesthesia and surgery overall. I could not have been happier. I got the 9.75 CM band, he said it depended on weight.

I hope you didn't get too big of a band Kirsten, maybe that is why your fills are not sitting in well. But you have only had one so don't worry your second one should help a lot more.

The surgeon and hospital that I went to have a great aftercare program, where I just fly back down there and everything is included. I think its easier to get a flight down to Monterrey, MX and have my fill done with my original surgeon rather than paying about the same to have one done in my area. I have only had to pay around 8000 and everything else was included. I could not have been happier.

I am glad so many more people are getting the band. It is changing lives left and right. Soon we will all be skinny =)

I think I may switch to her after this next fill just b/c like you said, it is not exactly convenient to keep going back and forth to CO all the time, (even though it is nice to see my sister so much)....!

Kirsten, I forgot you have another reason for going to Colorado - to see your sister. That does tip the scales a bit. I think with that in mind I'd probably do what you are doing, going twice to Dr. K and then reconsidering after that.

Mollie....yes, I did get the big band (VG) and my first fill was only 1.65...so I'm sure that's why I have NO restriction right now!!! Do you live in CO??

Mark....you'll have to let me know how things go w/Dr. Brinkley.....cause i'm pretty sure that after this next fill, especially if I need one again w/in a month, I'm going to go local, so I want to hear what you think of her and how it all goes!!

How is your recovery going?? Are you feeling back to normal yet or still having pain in the port area?

Sheila: "When I showered this morning, some Water got into my port incision."

Keep it clean and dry, no complacation....

I agree. It was literally under an hour from the time I got out of the shower to the time Dr. K dried, disinfected and rebandaged the port incision. It's sealed now and I don't see any sign of infection. It is such a bummer though, since everything else went so well. I hope nothing happens, to such an important incision, due to a loose bandage. :scared:

Hi everyone!

I am 3 days post op and feeling really good. I really haven't felt bad at all except for the few hours right after surgery. (I always get icky after anethesia)

I go back to work tomorrow and I do not anticipate any issues. I may ask to work just a 1/2 day though. I don't want to over do it.

Hi Shesha, So glad to hear that everything went well for you. I don't post alot but am constantly reading or thinking of the friends I have met on this Banding community. I hope to be a patient of Dr. Kirshenbaums soon, :confused: I will keep everyone posted. I look forward to reading your future posts on how you are doing with your new lapband.:confused: Sunnysea

Shesha and Mark...how are you guys doing??

I am going back to Dr K on the 19th for my 2nd fill, but have found a local Dr. near where I work that will do it for $150 and he'd do the first one under fluro to make sure everything is OK....so I think this may be my last trip to CO unless i get really good restriction and don't need another fill for a few months!

Mark....how much does the Dr. in Frederick charge, do you know??

Drews Lou....did you get your fill?? Did it help??

Shesha and Mark...how are you guys doing??

I am going back to Dr K on the 19th for my 2nd fill, but have found a local Dr. near where I work that will do it for $150 and he'd do the first one under fluro to make sure everything is OK....so I think this may be my last trip to CO unless i get really good restriction and don't need another fill for a few months!

Mark....how much does the Dr. in Frederick charge, do you know??

Drews Lou....did you get your fill?? Did it help??

Hi Kirsten

The doctor in Frederick charges $200. I don't know about the availability of flouro at her office. I have seen some posts about her that are really positive. But then, just getting a fill may not require a particularly fantastic doctor. I really don't know since I have not had one yet (a fill, that is).

I know you have had the opposite problem, but my big problem so far has been too much restriction. This probably makes you jealous. Sorry about that. I think my restriction has just been from the swelling after surgery. It's starting to come down now. I'm able to get some things down now besides liquids. At this point I'm not really sure that I need any fill at all. I'm keeping my appointment for now, for Feb. 21. But if I still feel restricted next week I'll probably postpone it for a while.

I've had some concerns for a while because my port incision has not fully closed and continues draining. It never seems to be infected, but it just keeps draining a little bit of clear, thin, pink Fluid. But that's just about stopped now. I hope it fully closes soon. I think it will in the next day or so. I'm cleaning it often and keeping it dressed and covered. I really don't see any signs of infection so I think I'm OK.

Now for the good news: I'm down 21 pounds now!! Hooray!

I hope everyone on the Dr. K team is doing well! Talk to you later.

Mark...yep, you're right, I'm jealous of your restriction!! :confused: But I'm also happy for you...sounds like you're doing OK and losing a lot!! But you're also only 2-3 weeks out right?? I know my first 2 weeks I was not feeling any hunger either....it was probably not until week 5 that the hunger really came back. I think b/c I got my fill at 4 weeks, I was still a bit swollen from the surgery and that's why I felt restriction. Definitely no swelling now!! LOL

As for the port incision...as long as its just clear liquid, I wouldn't worry too much...you can always call Dr. Ks office and see what they recommend.

Congrats on the weight loss!!! :grouphug:

Hey Kristin!

I am doing really well. I almost feel like I didn't have surgery only 8 days ago! I do have restriction, but it is (I think, since I really have nothing to compare it to) very light. The last couple of days I've been able to eat well. (800 cals vs. 600 =0)

I am still trying to figure this whole thing out though. My weight loss kind of stopped, weird I know. I hope to move more this week, so that should get the scale moving again. I don't want to put too much emphasis on weight loss at this point though, since I still have some healing to do. Ugh.. what to do, what to do... =o)

Shesha....you've probably stopped losing just b/c you're not eating enough and your body is in starvation mode. If nothing else, you should have restriction b/c you're still swollen from the surgery. Are you still on liquids or have you moved to mushies yet?? You may want to try increasing your calorie intake and that may actually get the scale moving again, believe it or not! :) Glad to hear you're feeling good though!!

Hey Dr K peeps!! Sounds like everyone is doing well!

I had another fill last Tuesday... 2.5cc's in my band now. I have lost 4 pounds this week!!

Roller derby RAWKS!!! I have sooooooooo much fun! The 2 hour practices are pretty grueling... it's non stop action for the whole 2 hours. I must have burned at least 500-600 calories last night easily.

I am totally digging it!