Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! New to this sit but I have been obsessively reading or weeks. I have decided to do this. I've been to the seminar and have had the consultation. I know this is right or me. In reading every thread I noticed that not one single person who has done it was sorry they did it.

I'm afraid of the recovery, I'm afraid of the catheter, I'm mostly afraid I'm going to regret it. But the thought of liking what I see in the mirror for the first time in 20 years and no living with the constant fear of becoming diabetic...

I'm two weeks out and not sorry... but there are some here who ARE sorry. There ARE some people who have tough recoveries. There are some who experience leaks. There was recently a forum member who passed away from a blood clot. NOW, did this stop me? NO. Surgery is a risk, but at my BMI and quality of life, I knew that the benefits by FAR outweighed the risks. I did everything I could to mitigate the risks and went into surgery happy and without fear, trusting in my surgeon. This is a relatively low risk procedure and there are AMAZING benefits to having it.. but there are still risks... VSG has about the same complication rate as getting your gallbladder out, most people wouldn't think twice about getting their gallbladder out.

I was petrified to have the surgery, mainly being put under and not waking up. Then once I made It through that I was afraid leaks. But now being 3 months out and down a total of 80lbs (48 postop). I wouldn't trade it for anything and wish I had done it years ago.

Making healthy choices are so much easier now bc i get full and font have that empty feeling that I always had preop.

As far as catheters my Dr doesn't use them but I did have one with my c section. I don't remember it bothering me at all. Did you ask your surgeon if they use them?

My Dr said the surgery is really so quick that there is no reason for it.

Good luck to you with everything.

Hi and welcome:) I don't think I've seen one person with regrets either.

The recovery is different for every person. It's not to be feared though. It can be not so fun when you are feeling bad, it can be a longer process than you planned on, it can be smooth sailing from the minute you are done with surgery, or a mixture of all the above. Most importantly it is the first step to a brand new you. When you see the scale take that initial downward turn it is the most wonderful thing ever. All the other issues you may or may not have will soon be over and you will be living the life you always wanted - a life of NOT being categorized as "obese" or any of those other degrading terms. Lets address the catheter - I didn't have one with the sleeve procedure but I did have one when I had a C Section. It isn't something I'd want to do every day but it's not so bad. You will not scream or cry because it hurts. It is a necessary step your surgeon requires to launch you into your new existence. Kinda like getting a shot in your mouth before you get a cavity filled. You don't want it, but you will be having it anyway.

Congratulations on your decision! It is hard at first but gets better every day and you can do it!

That sounds great! I did have a drain for 24 hours. It didn't hurt coming out but was a strange feeling. And how awesome - no liquid diet. You got this Missy! Go for it and join the rest of us in our journey. That's exactly what it is - a journey that is new, a little scary because you are venturing into the unknown, and mainly exciting as you wait for the new you to emerge.

I am 54yrs old had my sleeve March 4th and I am so glad I did this wish I could have done this sooner I'm off my high Blood pressure meds..Lost 20lbs and down one size I am at a stall but that is ok..As for the pre op liquid diet I'm glad my Dr had me do the diet it help me for my post op sage 1 and 2. Welcome to the group and good luck with your new life..

I haven't had surgery.... YET!!! BUT I will tell you that they won't put the catheter in until you are under, once it is in you shouldn't have any discomfort from it, if you do that is the time you are going to talk to your nurse and let them know and they will be able to help you from there. When they remove it, it "should" be painless.

I was sorry. Sorry for being what I was. Sorry for waking up every damn day still morbidly obese and not able to run with my kids, or do the things I needed to do. I was sorry for getting out of breath as I saw people doing the same things, half as athletic as I was, but blowing by me. Yeah, I was sorry. Sure there are complications. Life will suck a few days (possibly) and it'll hurt like hell (possibly). But where are you now? A few days of pain to go through, a few weeks of feeling like **** to beat, for a lifetime of being healthy and able to be and do what you want to do? Hell yeah. It's worth it, and I'm in no way sorry for making the decision to have this surgery.

Im having my surgery April 6 regreting before starting

No regrets here.... My recovery was fine.... Adjusting to the new approach to food took getting used to. I found this web site about 1 month post op and it was a life saver. I found I was not alone. Every question I had someone on this site had a answer.... I had many fears to begin with.... And those were similar to yours. However, by the time I got to the surgery day I was full of peace. I knew that this was the best decision for my life. I wanted a better quality of life and knew this tool would get me there. Now at just about 5 months out.... Almost 100 lbs lost my life is so different. I can do so many things I could not do before..... Enjoying being active.... Nothing holding me back ... It's awesome! It is wonderful having a built in Portion Control. I still only eat 2 oz of protien and 1/4 cup of veggies per meal and I am very full and satisfied. It is wonderful! Best Wishes on your decision!

If you don't read the complication threads you likely won't read that people have regrets.

I had serious complications that almost killed me. I am left with a stomach so small we're talking about adding a feeding tube so I can take in enough calories to live. Yes I have major regrets. Stupidest thing I've ever done in my life.

I know another woman who is facing a rare complication that is forcing her to gain weight or die. Seriously, she will die without gaining weight again.

Another who has long term heart damage because of the surgery.

Lots of regrets out there. IF you are having this surgery you need to be sure you understand that the risks are very high. The numbers are low but the risks are not simple little issues like an extra week in bed. They are life threatening in almost every case.

Hi everyone! New to this sit but I have been obsessively reading or weeks. I have decided to do this. I've been to the seminar and have had the consultation. I know this is right or me. In reading every thread I noticed that not one single person who has done it was sorry they did it.

I'm afraid of the recovery' date=' I'm afraid of the catheter, I'm mostly afraid I'm going to regret it. But the thought of liking what I see in the mirror for the first time in 20 years and no living with the constant fear of becoming diabetic...[/quote']

I'm right with you. Been overweight and unhappy with my appearance forever. I've never had any 'real' surgery and I pass out whenever blood is taken. I was petrified of the catheter. Honestly, no big deal. They pit it in when u are sleeping and the only time it annoyed me was walking. Mine only has to be in until the next day after the leak test was clear. Then it was a little difficult for me to pee but was then fine. Ill be 4 days post op and I'm still on the regret stage but I think because I really can't take the liquid pain meds. They gave me pills at my request. (I've never been able to take liquid meds without throwing up). So the pills upset me. In fear of throwing up I don't take them so I'm in discomfort. Tolerable but I'm a baby lol. I'm sure in a week I won't have any regrets. Good luck with your journey

If you don't read the complication threads you likely won't read that people have regrets.

I had serious complications that almost killed me. I am left with a stomach so small we're talking about adding a feeding tube so I can take in enough calories to live. Yes I have major regrets. Stupidest thing I've ever done in my life.

I know another woman who is facing a rare complication that is forcing her to gain weight or die. Seriously' date=' she will die without gaining weight again.

Another who has long term heart damage because of the surgery.

Lots of regrets out there. IF you are having this surgery you need to be sure you understand that the risks are very high. The numbers are low but the risks are not simple little issues like an extra week in bed. They are life threatening in almost every case.[/quote']

I am so sorry that you are suffering so much, it is horrible. Sadly, there are risks & complications goat ALL surgeries. Though the complications from this procedure are rare, they do happen and we would all hate to be a person that falls in that "1%". My uncle died from a freak complication from an angiogram. An outpatient procedure that has very low risks. Unfortunately, it does happen. I wish you the best of luck.