Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just when I thought I was making progress

I'm a home health speech therapist and I work with kids. I have lost 30 lbs from pre-op diet to surgery. I was sleeved on 2/19/13. I was feeling pretty good about myself until I did this visit with this family that's loves to reference my weight whenever possible. You know they start talking about somebody and then they say well they aren't as big as you or they are way smaller than you. Really bothered me today bc everyone else can see I lost weight except them. Just feel hurt right now. They don't matter I know but it hurt after I have been working hard to stop this weight. Just needed to vent.

Oh my. I guess I would vent to.

I would be showing them some sign language every time they did that to me.

That family obviously has issues. Don't let it bother you. It took almost 50 pounds until people noticed my weight loss. It was hard! But you're doing great and everyone will notice soon! Ignore that family- how rude!

Feel great about your weight loss. Their opinion is meaningless and their manners nonexistent. Their behavior says a lot about them and nothing about you. Hang in there and know you are on a good path.

Just keep up the good work! It wont be long until there will be major evidence of your weight loss. I had my surgery almost 7 months ago and I can promise you, one day it will hit and EVERYONE will be talking about you and you will be the topic of conversation!! GOOD Conversation. Until then, just take what they say with a grain of salt and giggle a little knowing that you will have the last laugh.

Junior Guru,

I would be hurt too, because it's just downright mean. Just know it's okay to feel the hurt, and then realize your joy and success does not depend on these people. You were feeling good before they spoke because you have lost 30 pounds in about 6 weeks!!! Be thrilled - not just because of what you've lost, but because you are going to continue to lose! This family may never affirm you. There's some unhappiness in that family and it's seeping out onto you. Be encouraged - everyone here is rooting for you!

I am always amazed that there are people in the world who make themselves feel better by trying to put people down. How pathetic these people are !!! i agree with Susie -- you will have the last laugh.

You are already a good, qulaity person, and you are well on your way to being fit, happy and healthy. THEY however, will more than likely always remain petty, repulsive little clods.

bleccchhhh.

They sound like single-minded ignorant people & i would tell them that you really don't appreciate the weight references & to please stay on the topic on hand. Just when I thought I've heard it all, something comes along & surprises me. I didn't start to gain my wait until my 20s. Up until then I had a rockin body if I have to say so myself. My best friend since the age of 3 was overweight, but I never saw that. I always saw the person, not the size of people, so this stuff always amazes me. You keep on being proud of yourself!!

Their comments say less about you and more about them. Keep your head up; you're doing all the right things for a healthy you!

more i think about this, i'm quite a bit bugged about this from an HR point of view.....

they have no reason or right to discuss your body, regardless of what shape it is in. Perhaps they need to be told that!

Oh my gosh! These people talk about your weight??! Tell them to stop! That is just so inappropriate. Don't put up with that! Stand up for yourself, girl!

Yes, I would politely but firmly tell them to not refer to your weight as it makes you uncomfortable. People are sometimes clueless. I guess because I've been overweight my whole life I wouldnt dream of saying something like "big, but not as big as you". It's rude. And while they don't have a problem saying something like that we shouldn't be afraid of standing up for ourselves and saying something back to them.

You're doing a great job and only more success is to follow! Keep your chin up and pay no mind to the idiots ;)