Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having my surgery next Tuesday. You all have be so valuable when I have questions. I know I can come here and find my answer. My question today is about pain. I have to admit this is my biggest fear. I'm ready for my new life, but I can't stop thinking about how much/what type of pain. Please honestly, tell me how much pain you were in. I've never had surgery before or had a child, so I feel like I have nothing to compare it to haha. I know I'm freaking out about it, but it worries me...

I had a little soreness and felt like I had a terrible flu afterwards. I think mostly bc my doctor doesn't let you drink after your surgery until you have the leak test the next day. The feeling doesn't last too long. Everyone is different.

It is major surgery and the pain when I woke up was the worst. It progressively got better as time went on and the pain meds they gave you will keep it bearable and after about 4 days you will be OK.

Most all surgery is painfull but please look at the outcome and forget about the pain. I have lost 54 lbs in 11 weeks. I have never done that before and the pain is a distant memory.

I think it's relative some people have no pain!

So that could be you... But for me it was "painful"

Especially the first day or two... But there will be pain meds that really help. And as much as you can, walk. it really is the only way to deal with the "gas" pain...

But really it's not so bad that I was out if my mind with pain or anything:)

And in the end, not as painful as being obese :)

The pain is really not bad at all. You'll be a little sore and you'll probably have trouble sleeping on the side that your stomach was removed from, but it's not unbearable at all for most people. If your pain tolerance is low, they will give you pain killers so you won't feel it anyway. You can take a deep breath and relax, you will be fine!!

Well in the hospital they ask you to rate your pain on a scale of 1-10 10 being the worst pain ever. I can honestly say that I never had pain above a 5. I was uncomfortable but with the pain meds it was nothing. I was sent home from the hospital with liquid vicoden and I haven't used it at all since day 2.

Now, my husband says I'm a bad-*** and I guess I'm pretty tough, I have had 3 c-sections and had a lap band placed and removed but I really think this was the LEAST painful of all of them.

When you first wake up, you may have some pain. It will not be unbearable and the nurse will be right there to give you morphine. Morphine will make it go away. Later, you will not really remember how much it hurt. You will probably have what is called a PCA. That is patient controlled pain medicine. It feeds right into your IV. You just push the button and you get a dose. I only used about half of the amount allotted to me. My catheter bothered me more than anything. I had some stomach spasms. It was not that bad. I have had two other abdominal surgeries (spleen and gallbladder). The spleen was painful. The gallbladder not at all. This was more like the gallbladder. I have Migraines and they are way worse pain wise. Please don't upset yourself. Chances are you will be telling someone else later how easy it was.

No pain for me.. a little sore... it felt like I had done a hundred situps. That went away after about 4 days. Its best if you start walking as soon after surgery as possible. They will give you a liquid pain killer if you need it but in my case I did not need it.

All these coments are right on. Everyone is different. I had a hystrectomy 3 weeks before my sleeve. I have to admit this one was a little worse. ITs the gas pain that hurts. But the more you walk the better you feel. You will indeed have your pain meds. Take them. But walk walk walk. it is painful to sleep on your side. I had surgery march 7 today is the best day yet. I feel tons better and I can take bigger drinks. I am being completly perfect on my diet. ITS WORTH IT!!! Not one regret. This will be the best thing ever. You have to know that you can do it. Good luck and keep us posted.

pain for my stomach was almost nonexistant, was a nauseous but it was mostly controlled. However the bougie they stuck down my throat just wrecked it. I had and still occasionally have spasms in my esophagus. They aren't anything painful now, just irritating. The spasms were extremely bad for about 10 days after surgery, to the point where if i drank anything it triggered the spasms that felt like a charlie horse in my throat, it was so upsetting. But I did recover, relatively quickly and so will you.

edit- my surgery was 2/5/13

Honestly, the pain wasn't bad for me. It was hard moving around because the big incision hurt but I just stayed in bed a lot. I was up and walking the night of my surgery up and down the halls with the help o a nurse. I was eager to get up and start doing things on my own. I went home the evening after my surgery. That next morning I woke up on pain and was throwing up. I called my surgeon and they called me in anti nausea medicine and told me to take double the dose of my pain Meds an I managed fine. I wouldn't let the pain scare you too much, it's not that bad. Good luck!

Actually I only had pain when getting in and out of bed. I had a morphine drip that kepte very happy indeed. It also helped me sleep too. :)

I didn't even take pain meds. It felt like being really sore from working out plus being weak from the flu. By day 3 it's much better and by day 4 I went shopping.

1 week post op here. Pain was not bad. After I got back to my room I slept for about 3 hours then the nurse came and said I should walk. Getting up was very painful but i also knew from my 2 c-sections that once up, it feels so good go walk. I walked than went and sat in a chair the rest of the afternoon and evening. Got up and walked every time i felt gas and it went right away. My biggest fear by far was nausea. I was almost in a panic over it. The nurse said the dr. left orders for several meds and I just need to ask. Ask I did. I asked for the anti nausea every 4 hours. I had the morphine pump but didn't really use it much.

The more you walk the less pain you will have. Don't be afraid to ask for meds. Thats what they are there for.

I personally think the stress and anticipation of what the surgery and recovery would be like was way worse than the actual procedure and recovery.

It's perfectly normal to have these feelings. Wish I would have asked my dr. for a couple of Xanax the day before. :)

Best wishes to you, you will do great!

I remember being uncomfortable. The only REAL pain was where they put my IV. It took two weeks for the pain in my arm to go away.

Ok, now what to compare the pain to, for someone who has never had surgery or given birth?

Less pain than a root canal, but the soreness lasts longer.