Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Un-fill Lapband before Sleeve Surgery?

I'm scheduled for revision from banded plication to sleeve in June and I still have a small amount of Fluid in my band - probably about 2 c.c.s. Doctor seems unconcerned that there is fluid in there, however, my endoscopy showed a slip. My port is almost impossible to access so I'm going to keep the fluid in until my revision.

Good luck to you.

Jenn

Hi

I was banded two years ago (February) and lost 45 pounds almost immediately. I got pregnant in April (big surprise) and all was fine until this past summer when I started getting filled again. I could never find the "sweet spot" again and was constantly struggling with too tight or no restriction at all. About a month ago my band started to feel tighter every day ( I hadn't been adjusted since October)' date=' then about 2 weeks ago it became so tight I couldn't eat anything and drinking was almost impossible. All accompanied with sever reflux and pain in my chest. Went to see my surgeon and he suspected a slip. So he took out 2 mls ( have about 2 left in) and scheduled an upper GI for me tomorrow. We have decided to remove the band regardless and do a revision surgery. I am opting for the band and he is willing although his recommendation is to do the bypass.

My question is what was the perpetrating needed prior to surgery? I hope to have both done at the same time and want to do everything in my power to make my stomach ready for that to happen. He says he won't be able to determine if this is possible until he is in there. I would also like to know how long the surgery took for the removal and revision? How is the recovery different from the band surgery? I have three children (one 15 month old) and just want to be prepared.

I am so excited about this new journey. I truly feel this is the right thing. I wish I had done the sleeve first but my insurance wasn't covering it then.

Thanks for your advice and input!

Cathy[/quote']

Update:

I had my upper GI on Thursday and things actually looked better than expected. We are moving forward with the revision (sleeve) and hope to be scheduled by the first part of June if not sooner. Thanks for all your advice and comments- they help tremendously.

I was unfilled 12/17/12. I'm scheduled for revision 4/25/13.

I was unfilled in December 2012 because I was having such a hard time with adjustments, again. I've always had a hard time getting the right fill. My surgeon unfilled me because he knew that I was leaning towards a revision and the since the band wasn't working for me anyway......

My sleeve date is April 18. I have zero restriction and no intolerances. So, I've gained a lot. I'm ready for my 2nd chance at permanent healthy weight loss with the sleeve.

I had to have my band removed prior because it was herniated and had to heal before I could get the sleeve. I gained I think like 20 plus lbs, but the food was grrreat. :)

I chose to have the empty band removed in a separate surgery... sleeve was 10 weeks later. the best thing about my decision was that I was unbelievably hungry starting a few days after my band was removed. Any illusion I had that i didn't need the sleeve was cured. All doubts obliterated. It put me in the right frame of mind...that dang extra hungry tummy needed to be cut down to size..lol

For those of you that had revisions, did your insurance cover it? I did very well with my band (lost 100 lbs and was at my goal weight) then got pregnant. As we refilled post pregnancy, it took lots of tries to get it right, and although I lost some weight, it didn't seem the same. Then I got a REALLY BAD flu bug, violent vomiting and all. Called the doc when I couldn't keep anything but broth down (waited waaaay too long to call) and he said it likely slipped. So now I have to have a complete unfill on Friday without knowing for sure if Personal Choice will cover a revision and change to the sleeve or bypass. When I called my insurance company, they said it'd be based upon my doctor deeming it medically necessary, and dependent upon the "coding" as to whether or not it'd be covered. Did anyone get denied for revision? I don't have $25,000 for self pay... not even close. Thanks for the feedback. I can't imagine living in this body after living in a healthy one.

I'm researching the sleeve after having a band herniated (bad slip). They unfilled me completely yesterday, but I'm tyring to wait till after my Alaskan cruise in 3 weeks to have a revision. I use Medicare (who's really strict) and I just called my office insurance lady to ask her about revision. They will cover a revision if I have complications, but they won't cover plication + band (which I specifially asked for), it's too new. But I can revise to the sleeve or gastirc bypass. Since I'm only 30 lbs from goal, I think GB is a little too much for me.

But she did say if I had complication, Medicare would cover a revision or convert to a new surgery. And if Medicare covers it, you're probably does too.

Good luck!

Marci

I'm researching the sleeve after having a band herniated (bad slip). They unfilled me completely yesterday, but I'm tyring to wait till after my Alaskan cruise in 3 weeks to have a revision. I use Medicare (who's really strict) and I just called my office insurance lady to ask her about revision. They will cover a revision if I have complications, but they won't cover plication + band (which I specifially asked for), it's too new. But I can revise to the sleeve or gastirc bypass. Since I'm only 30 lbs from goal, I think GB is a little too much for me.

But she did say if I had complication, Medicare would cover a revision or convert to a new surgery. And if Medicare covers it, you're probably does too.

Good luck!

Marci

I am looking into revising from a banded plication. I initially lost about 60 pounds but lost restriction about 6 months after the plication. I originally wanted to revise to a sleeve (from the band) but was nervous about the procedure and my previous doctor was not very supportive of me revising from the band to the sleeve at that time. I wish I would've researched more but plication was so new here in the U.S. at the time. Now I will be undergoing another procedure, but hopefully this will be my final WLS!

Good luck to you!

Jenn

For those of you that had revisions' date=' did your insurance cover it? I did very well with my band (lost 100 lbs and was at my goal weight) then got pregnant. As we refilled post pregnancy, it took lots of tries to get it right, and although I lost some weight, it didn't seem the same. Then I got a REALLY BAD flu bug, violent vomiting and all. Called the doc when I couldn't keep anything but broth down (waited waaaay too long to call) and he said it likely slipped. So now I have to have a complete unfill on Friday without knowing for sure if Personal Choice will cover a revision and change to the sleeve or bypass. When I called my insurance company, they said it'd be based upon my doctor deeming it medically necessary, and dependent upon the "coding" as to whether or not it'd be covered. Did anyone get denied for revision? I don't have 25,000 for self pay... not even close. Thanks for the feedback. I can't imagine living in this body after living in a healthy one.[/quote']

I'm on my phone so I'm not sure that I've replied properly. My insurance approved my revision from band to sleeve. I did not have a slip or erosion. I just cannot keep food down (not reflux). There's never a pattern...just randomly won't stay down. I was banded in 2008. My doc unfilled my band 12/2012. My insurance, BCBS/FEP company required me to go through the same process as an initial WLS, so I had to do a 3 mnth weight management program. I've gained 20+ lbs since 12/2012. If anyone needs additional info or clarification, please inbox me. I sometimes miss responses in the thread.

I was unfilled before my surgery which is April 30th. I gained 28lbs and I enjoyed everthing I wasn't able to have. Now I am ready for the new me. Counting down the days to a new healthier life and no more fills!

I had gone in and had an unfill hoping that would help with complications I was having. The next day I went in for emergency surgery and they did the revision at the same time. I think you would want to deflate the band as soon as possible just help keep stomach swelling down but I guess they can do the surgery even if the band is full.

I had gone in and had an unfill hoping that would help with complications I was having. The next day I went in for emergency surgery and they did the revision at the same time. I think you would want to deflate the band as soon as possible just help keep stomach swelling down but I guess they can do the surgery even if the band is full.

Yeah, knowing that I had stomach/pouch dilation, my doc asked me to unfill at least 2 weeks before surgery, even though usually he does revision surgery without an unfill. I did 2 months to be safe, since when this all happened before, my lap band surgeon had me wait 3 months for it to heal before starting fills again. It's been hard without the help, but I actually managed to still lose another 12lbs in the last 6 weeks on my pre-pre-op diet since I can now eat all the healthy foods I had to avoid for so long so I wouldn't get stuck or puke!

My dr recommended that I have an unfill 2 weeks prior to the revision which I did today surgery actually 5/31. There is some pretty rough side effects. I instantly had heartburn and my throat started hurting? I've been burping ever since and it does seem weird. I actually had 6.4cc when I thought I only had 5.9cc in my band. Hmmmm i just miss eating meat! this is going to be interesting.....

This is my exact story...I had my revision 4/22. Band was completely unfilled 2 months prior to surgery. I was in th OR approximately 2.5 hrs, stayed 1 night in hospital. Noo complications! United Healthcare covered the revision

I had my band unfolded a week before sleeve Surgery 3/27. Wound up with a lot of post op swelling and had to have a second surgery 2 days later. But everything worked out fine in the end.