Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Orthodox Jews

"I'm Kosher but not shomer, and am probably considered "conservadox" by most people."

"Conservadox" I love it! I think my husband is that. Me, I am more like "reformadox." Grew up reform, and now exploring orthodox. So much to learn!

Havent been around for some time - I guess my success was getting to me and I was a little to free with some treats!! Well I hope now I am back on track and just got another fill 8 cc.

Any thoughts on how you will be handling Purim - defintiely not up to Pesach yet!!!

Tova

Hi Tova. I havent been around either for a while. I was on vacation just got back today. Im also quiet successful now. Im filled till 8. I am banded 5 months and so far lost 45lbs.

Anyways, since I dont crave food neither purim or pesach will be a problem for me. Purim I will have my shake in the morning and chicken Soup by the meal.

Pesach I will have some matzah and Soup, veggies from the soup.

You know it feels so good being skinnier that I dont care for food anymore. Since I eat the wrong food cuz its faster to eat I dont loose as much if I would have patience to sit down and eat I would be skinny by now.

Good Luck!

I think that being 11/2 years out, I am becoming a little too lax - so I need to become more focused and stay with the program.

Tova

Protein first then carbs, keep my calories between 800-1200 and exercise regularly - this has been hard recently due to my overpacked schedule and family obligations. I find that when I stay focused I feel better physically and emotionally which is really the most important since that keeps me thinking positively!!!

I know that I have come this far with great success and hope to reach my goal within the next few months!!

Tova

Hi Everyone!

It's great to see such group on here. I got approved for surgery on 2/13 and have a tentative surgery date of 3/18.

Any advice or pointers you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Everyone,

I am scheduled for my band a week from today, on February 24th with Dr. Fielding at NYU. I am not observant, but was looking for a Jewish group. Have any of you worked with the NYU surgical group and if so, have any of you attended the support groups? I was considering going to one tomorrow evening to meet some people who have had the band. Was it a positive experience?

I live in BP in brooklyn and would love to have a get together with others in the area.

B"H I have lost a lot but now with yom tov time coming again I am nervous about the eating expecially since I am probably going to my parents in L.A. for Pesach.

Another frummie here! My surgery is IYH on March 9th which happens to Taanes Esther. I'm being banded by Dr. Fielding at NYU and will have to be in the hospital overnight on Purim. It feels a little strange to have to be in the hospital then but having surgery is too important, and this is my only chance to do it before Pesach. I'm hoping that my brother in law will come read Megilla for me on Purim night while I'm in the hospital.

I'm a little bit nervous about Pesach and matza, I'm going to be one month post op and have a feeling that I won't be able to chew it. My family only eats handmade shmura matza and I can barely get the stuff down without a band! I guess I'll just play by ear and if I can't manage it then I won't eat it.

Nice to meet all of you!

Hi AIT

First of all Good Luck with the surgery. If all goes well its a breeze.

The first two weeks after surgery youre on liquids and mushy. Then you can eat whatever. There is usually no restriction. Challah is doughy so that doesnt go down to well but every shabbos I only eat matzah. It chews well and goes down easily. Dont worry.

Miriam, I had surgery with Dr Kurian. I went to a support group only once. Now I dont need it. Good Luck with surgery.

sim78 I had surgery september and only lost 45lbs. How did you loose so much so fast?

I'm close to a year and the truth is, it's unlikely you'll be able to eat shmura matzah. I'm not even going to try. When food gets stuck it's not only uncomfortable, you often have to bring it back up. There's no way. But I have no issue with it because there's no way our health doesn't come first. If you're going to ask your Rav, first make certain he knows enough about it to respond with accuracy. I've found that even with Challah on Shabbas, many rabbis really do not get it. They just don't. It's always, have just a Kzice (sp). They are sadly unware and immediately assume laziness - we;re just not trying HARD enough to do the mitzvah. Listen to your surgeon, your body and understand the limitations of anyone who truly doesn't understand the surgery or your health issues.

Best of luck,

GDF18 I dont know why you can not eat matzah. My dr says challah you cant eat but matzah if you chew well you can.

I eat every shabbos at the seudah between 1/4 to 1/2 a matzah. Matzah is something that crushes when you chew it so I dont see the problem.

I had a feeling matza would be a no this year. I could probably chew regular boxed matza well enough but shmura matza is not going to happen. I have a 12 step background and was not allowed to eat matza then, and I asked a rav who said health comes first. If you can't eat it, don't eat it. So I'm going to go with the same pasken from then and just do what I can do this year. When I was in the 12 step program I couldn't eat challa either, and the rav said it's ok to not wash as long as I drink a sip of kiddush (which wasn't allowed on the 12 step either but I told my sponsor it wasn't an option to skip that too).

I too had a very difficult time with matzo last pesach everything came back up - I do not eat challoh but drink a certain amount of grape juice instead. I sure hope that this year the Rav will understand me better and help me work through the matzo issue

Tova