Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Orthodox Jews

I liked the fact that I couldn't overeat...heck, I couldn't eat! I also had trouble with other people's cooking. TOO MUCH OIL!

I went to the surgeon today and he was thrilled with my 13 pound loss in 6 weeks. Not thrilled that I threw up a lot over Pesach, but not very surprised. Told me that if I throw up, I should have liquids for day. I knew it but wasn't doing it.No wonder I got so irritated.

Hope everyone is well and kitchen's back to normal. Signing off for Shabbas.

Shabbat Shalom!

Hi all. It was good to find fellow OJ's. You've answered many of my questions just by reading your posts. I haven't had surgery - yet. I've been to NYU twice for their seminar, went to the doc 6 months in a row to get weighed in for insurance and never scheduled surgery.

I've been scared. But now, as time passes and I continue to gain weight slowly, it's getting scarrier without the surgery. At 44, I'm tipping the BMI scale at close to 50 with obstructive sleep apnea (sleep with a cpap machine), hbp (under control with 3 pills), high cholesterol (under control with a pill)

Make yourself a list of the pros and cons of having surgery. Weigh them out and I am sure that you will see what a pro surgery will be on your quality of life.

What are your reasons for holdong back? We all are nervous but it has to be within reason.

I have had surgery almost two years ago and I feel like I am only beginning to live to my fullest now.

Tova

1. It's like finally giving up. I should have the inner strength to keep to a diet/food regimen that works. I shouldn't need an artificial device on my stomach to remind me that I've eaten enough and just put my fork down. I should, on my own, without external or artificial intervention, be able to resolve the matter of over eating. It feels like I'm admitting failure with a capital "F".

2. So much of Shabbos and Yom Tov revolve around food that I fear I'll miss out. I won't be fully participating by avoiding meat, chicken, challah etc. I'll be sitting there watching (and throwing up) while everyone else enjoys themslves.

1. It's like finally giving up. I should have the inner strength to keep to a diet/food regimen that works. I shouldn't need an artificial device on my stomach to remind me that I've eaten enough and just put my fork down. I should, on my own, without external or artificial intervention, be able to resolve the matter of over eating. It feels like I'm admitting failure with a capital "F".

2. So much of Shabbos and Yom Tov revolve around food that I fear I'll miss out. I won't be fully participating by avoiding meat, chicken, challah etc. I'll be sitting there watching (and throwing up) while everyone else enjoys themslves.

Dude what are you talking about!

You can still enjoy meals on yontif. You just won't be able to gorge yourself like you did before the band. I had my surgery on 3/18 and enjoyed myself during Pesach. I was able to participate however I did get tipsy on the little wine we had.

You totally have this wrong. The band is not a torture device. It's a tool that helps you to eat smaller portions. Stuff like throwing up only happens if your band is too tight or you're eating to fast or pieces of food that are too big.

You need to look at the band as a tool to help you loose your weight. Truthfully, how successful have you been in loosing weight and keeping it off in the past? what about your health? Are you on any medication that could change if you were to loose weight?

As per throwing up - if it happens regularly than something is wrong and it is not good for your band.

Yes, there are some foods that you will find easier and some harder to eat. You may learn not to ever eat certain foods, but in general with moderation you will be able to eat everything. I have personally found that foods that I can not tolerate, I have NO interest in eating at all - and they were foods I was addicted to before surgery (breads and certain vegetables).

It's not giving up, friend. It's starting to live life again.

However, the band (if you read the boards) is not a panacea and has up and down days....but of course you're having those anyway or you wouldn't be here or even thinking about surgery.

Just like any other addiction it will tempt you and rule you- it's like the worst yatzer hora you can have nudging you and it wins all the time.

The band literally installs an "off" button. But you need to want that more than you want anything else. There will still be days with the band where you mourn being able to eat everything in site. And guess what....if you don't keep your band tight, you will eat too much. If you are a volume eater, it's the only thing that can make a difference because you simply can't eat too much of anything, except high calorie liquids or ice cream. If you can stay away from those, you'd do fine.

It's a big decision and taking your time until if/when you're ready is smart. It's not simple or easy. But it's an answer.

Shabbat Shalom (or Shevuah Tov if you're on the east coast).

Happy Shavous everyone. Watch out for the cheesecake- it slides down easily!

Does anyone have this problem that if something is really sweet it won't go down? I sometimes try eatin Icecream It only happens on the pareve type and I throw it up. No matter what it just won't stay down!!

I am going to see my parents for shavous and well its been a long time since I have seen them. THey haven't seen me since the surgery and I am nervous about their reactions. They know I had the surgery that was a secret my dh just wouldn't let me keep. I am also going to my home town and seeing people I haven;t seen a very long time (I think its been about three years since I have been home) and nervous about what people are going to say! Its not a secret that I did the surgery just wondering what people are going to think about the new me. If I have a chance will update everyone from hometown if not have a great yom tov! Not going to get to a computer before I leave so I am just posting now. Take care everyone!!

I wish ice cream wouldnt go down!!!! This is my goal now - not to touch ice cream!!!

Looking at how much you have lost so far I am sure that everyone will tell you how great you are looking - just enjoy the compliments and have a wonderful Shavuos

Tova

Does anyone have this problem that if something is really sweet it won't go down? I sometimes try eatin Icecream It only happens on the pareve type and I throw it up. No matter what it just won't stay down!!

I am going to see my parents for shavous and well its been a long time since I have seen them. THey haven't seen me since the surgery and I am nervous about their reactions. They know I had the surgery that was a secret my dh just wouldn't let me keep. I am also going to my home town and seeing people I haven;t seen a very long time (I think its been about three years since I have been home) and nervous about what people are going to say! Its not a secret that I did the surgery just wondering what people are going to think about the new me. If I have a chance will update everyone from hometown if not have a great yom tov! Not going to get to a computer before I leave so I am just posting now. Take care everyone!!

Unfortunately, nothing sweet is a problem for me. Only problem is sometimes I eat something cold like frozen yogurt too early in the day and it tightened the band....makes it contract. Maybe that's why you're bringing it up. Happened to me today for the first time.

As for visiting home- I just did the same and I'll tell you what I think. You (and I) did not lose the weight for anyone back home. We did it for ourselves and the only extension might be our spouses. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks and anyone who doesn't tell you that you look amazing....can go straight to...."gehenom"! You may find that after a while of hearing nothing but how much you've changed and how great you look, that you get a little annoyed- I did. It was like, enough, already. But that was from friends. I have a mother who is German Jewish, and kind words generally come with a zinger- so if you have that kind of relative, or if there are those who might be jealous, etc...you're just gonna have to blow them off. I have a GOOD friend, who told me how amazing I look.....and I should really now invest in better bras! What the %#&@&? I told her that I know she means well (I'm not really so sure by the way) but please, if you have a compliment give it and leave it at that. My mother is the best at taking a compliment away, but I take it from her and just forget it, but I won't with anyone else. No left-handed compliments- I told my friend if she doesn't have something nice to say, say nothing at all.

That my honest advise for you. Have a great trip and stick with those who really care about and "see" the real you.

hi everyone, I wanted to know if anyone who had the surgery in NYU is going on the cruise they are having Aug 6? I don't want to be the only frum one there and I am not sure dh will want to go. They are offering Kosher food. my friend went last year and she had a great time and I was still preop so I couldnt go but I want to go this year. Anyone want to come with me???

Have any of you had surgery at NYU? Do you remember the rules for visiting hours and stuff? I am going to be in the hospital on Purim night and I have someone who is going to come read megilla for me but I realized that we could have a problem with visiting hours in the evening. Does anyone know?

what's interesting is that my "dw" had her gallbladder removed the same day and was in NYU hearing the megilla read by a wonderful young boy.

More importantly, how did the surgery go for you, and how's it been since?