Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Orthodox Jews

Normandy that's funny that it was the same day! My surgery went really well, was pretty painless - the worst part was getting over the anesthesia. My brother in law ended up reading megilla for me.

Things since are good BH, slower than I would like but I knew it wouldn't be instant when I opted to get a band. I've lost 46 pounds in 4 months but it's only been about 5 in the last month. I'm starting to get lazy with my food choices and have become a really big fan of everything Reese's, which I really need to stay away from. How is everyone else doing?

the DW is starting to get cold feet due to the fact that we've been reading/hearing about some not good experiences with the band. Yet...

As for myself, I'm told I don't yet qualify!

I lost 13 pounds before surgery.

I believe that lapband is one of the most positvie things I have ever done for myself. As with everything, it is not a magical thing you need to work with it - it is an amazing TOOL to help you loose weight in a healthy manner.

Tova

Any experience with previous surgeries (c-sections, gall bladder, etc.) causing possible complications from scar tissue?

I actually had both of those - c-section and gall bladder surgery 17 years before I got banded. The section did not interfere, but the gall bladder had some scar tissue, which caused the surgery to be 30 minutes longer, but nothing major - only something the doctor had to deal with.

Tova

I actually had both of those - c-section and gall bladder surgery 17 years before I got banded. The section did not interfere, but the gall bladder had some scar tissue, which caused the surgery to be 30 minutes longer, but nothing major - only something the doctor had to deal with.

Tova

I've had multiple abdominal surgeries since I was 18 for various things, including a c-section 14 years ago (next week!!). I had a lot of scar tissue, but the biggest problem my surgeon had was that the wall of my stomach is so thin now that it was delicate to place the port for the band and also he is VERY careful about fills. Apparently I'm more at risk for herniation if filling isn't or wasn't done extremely carefully.

So far though, so good! Still holding my 31 pound loss. Hoping to start moving that down another few pounds over the next month. I seem to lose a few, hold onto it for a month or so, then lose a few more. It is a slow way to lose, but steady, and while I haven't lost what some people report, I'm pretty pleased. So it will take me about three years to get to my goal. Big deal. Took 10 years to get to my highest weight, so what is three more to take the majority of it off? LOL.

Anyone starting to think about the HH already?

I think that the way you are loosing is the healthiest way. I lost that way too. Lost, plateaued and then lost some more. I t gave my body time to adjust to the weight loss. Keep up the great job - your definitely heade in teh right direction

tova

Hi- Yes, I've been thinking of the holidays- actually been working on replacing part of the Succah. If I wait, I never get the information. In terms of eating, I found the holidays to be pretty easy last year. I was careful not to eat much challah or Desserts, but other than that, it was okay. I had a tougher Pessach as I was very tight and nothing was going through....no matzah this year. But last year the Yom Tovim were fine. Most of my friends cook much lighter recipes than in the old days. More mixed veggie type salads, less kugels, etc.

Take care and enjoy Shabbos!

I have learned that during the Holidays and whenever I entertain, I do all the serving so that I am not just sitting by the table and being tempted to eat. Also I first only take a small portion of an easily digestable Protein (not meat). Only then will I allow myself to take something else. I also leave some room for dessert - ice cream, not cake or fruit which is much harder to digest.

Tova

Hi everyone. Orthodox and living in Monsey (originally form Marine Park in Bklyn). After months of waiting, I am scheduled for my surgery this Tuesday! Wish me luck!:blushing:

Hatzlocha to you - remember to use your band correctly and you will see great results.

I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago - it's the best thing I ever did for myself

Tova

Hi! Just found this topic and am thrilled to be here. I see that it hasn't been updated since 2009....is there anyone still out there?

I'm here, but I haven't seen much activity on this forum thread in quite a while :(

Hi. It's nice to meet you. From your info, it looks like you've been doing really well with your weight loss!

I tried to join the yahoogroups that someone posted a link for on the first page, but am still awaiting approval....it's been about 2 weeks now, i think. Is anyone a member or has it not panned out?