Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Orthodox Jews

I can only speak for me, but shmura matzah- in fact, any matzah, doesn't crumble apart the way say, a potato chip or a Ritz cracker type does. It just sits and gathers around the opening and blocks me. I think you'll hear this from lots of folks. Challah can also be a big problem. I've tried it a few times and once or twice it's okay (like dipped into gravy, thank you) but otherwise, no. However, I know someone who had the band who has no problem with challah. I find so much of it a mystery. The I can make tuna salad and put it in the food processor with light mayo, and it won't go down. But imitation crab salad does. Then anyother day Tuna goes down okay. I never know what will work. All I do know is that I do much better in the evening. I can barely get anything down in the AM and then if I don't.....my left shoulder pain starts. After almost a year.

Anyway, it's a good idea for anyone wanting to try matzah do it now before hitting the 30 day before Pesach if you hold by that.

I lost so much recently b/c I was too tight. I just had .5 cc taken out on tues and now I feel better and I can actually eat and have some strength. I eat matzah every week on shabbos since challah doesn't go down at all. This going to be my first pesach with the band and I am not even going to be home for it I just hope that nothing happens.

Have any of you had surgery at NYU? Do you remember the rules for visiting hours and stuff? I am going to be in the hospital on Purim night and I have someone who is going to come read megilla for me but I realized that we could have a problem with visiting hours in the evening. Does anyone know?

I have been indulging in matzah with weight watchers cream cheese. So far I have not gotten stuck. It's nice to get full after one piece and not eat the whole box though!

I am also questioning Mtazo brei- anyone try it?

However, I am afraid to attempt matzo balls. Are they alreday expanded or is it dangerous?

Challah- I am terrified of as all other breads- which even if I was "allowed" to have it- it's a blessing in disguise that I have just obstained!

I alreday know to stay away from the carrots!

Depends on which type of matzah ball maker you are. If you're the chewy type, it could be a problem. But unfortunately, I've had no problem getting down the light, fluffy ones....just mash them a bit inthe Soup.< /p>

Just want to wish everyone a good Yom Tov! Hope this Pesach is enjoyable for everyone and the food manageable.

i just love that there is a thread with my people!! I am jewish, not orthadox, but i am very connected to my roots. it just feels peaceful knowing u guys are out there. Is anyone from western Mass?

Thank you! Wishing you a happy pesach too! I hope we will manage with the food... I will deffinitly enjoy my new clothing........

I live north of boston. July will be two years and 85 pounds after Lapband. The best thing I have ever done.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Pesach. I am going to focus on not overdoing it with the food - I want an easier Pesach than last year.

Lately I have noticed that if I let myself become hungry than my restriction is much tighter - leading to alot of pain and eventually giving it all back, so I am making sure not to skip meals and keep myself well hydrated.

Tova

How is everyone managing this yom tov? I am not I am spending more time throwing up then actually eating. I finally asked my dh if I can have matzah and cream cheese and he said yes so I filled up my stomache and I feel good. Would love to hear how everyone else is fairing? Have a gut voch and hopfully an easier 2nd days.

It's been fairly easy which surprised me. I was able to eat at both Seders and had no issues.

I've had a really rough time, b/c not only am I eating nasty Pesach food but I'm trying to learn how to eat with a band as I got my first fill one week ago. I ate matza at the first seder and felt like I was suffocating, had to run to the toilet and was heaving for like an hour. I have since thrown up three more times, even though I've been extremely careful about what I'm eating and to chew well. Today I ate some sweet potato and my band just didn't like it, it came right back up. This is such a learning process!

I came in to Pesach with a prepared mind!!! I thought about all the food that I would need to eat and want to eat and worked out beforehand what I would do.

The four cups were OK, I did not eat the maror and had the tiniest piece of matzoh. The rest of Pesach I have not touched matzoh - even though I love it with cream cheese - it is just not worth it. But I did throw up during two day meals which are much too heavy for me - I was unable to digest the blintzes that I made - too much egg!! and the next day the cutlets were delicious everyone said but a little too dry for me. Otherwise I am having a great Yom Tov.

Cant wait to go back to my normal routine!!!

Enjoy the rest of your Pesach

Tova:redface:

I have a lot of trouble eating during the day, so the lunches on the first days were big trouble. Also, being in other's homes where I tried to eat (TOO MUCH OIL), so I threw up a lot. Left me very sore and I'm finding it harder to eat overall. I'm concerned I really irriatated the stoma or something. I'm burping and belching from anything- even Water. And I get a "back-up" burn inside a lot right now- like it's so tight that anything more than a little sip hurts. So, I'm staying home for last days. I'm also going into the surgeon on Friday to tell my tale of woe and find out if I'm too tight. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a flurry of calls on Pesach with all sorts of complaints. You actually made me feel better everyone-- not alone. I've stayed away from matzah almost completely.

I also can't wait to get back on my regular diet. LOL

Edited by gdf18

I must say that I really enjoyed Pesach - the children were home and we had other company. My guest were also great. But I cant wait to go back to my regular eating program - there was too much oil and the food was heavier than I am used too. Even though I threw up a few times I really feel that I tired to handle the food well. I agree that matzo was a real NO!!

Wishing everyone a great Pesach recovery and a wonderful spring!!

Tova