Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Bandsters???

Okay beautiful January Bandsters, I've got a question for all of you. So it looks like I'll be banded in March... =( I'm wondering how long before you were able to get up and move around? I'm in a musical right now and we open in March and then run for 3 possibly 4 weeks. I sing a lot in the show (a lot of movement in the tummy area) and I have a solo tap number. If I have the surgery on a Monday morning, will I be ready to go on Thursday evening? I know I can "mark it" so to speak and not do everything full out but am I jeopardizing my band or my health? I'm 20 years old and I heal really fast but I'm still concerned. Your thoughts please. Thanks!

Love, Sheila

Hey all,

I thought I was getting better, but got hit with this cold. I'm 1 week out today; and really haven't any desire to eat or drink. Is this b/c I have restriction? I eat maybe 1 cup MAXXXXXX at any given time. I'm really trying like mad to get my liquids in; but haven't reached 64 oz yet.

I know, I know, its just a week. But at this point, I'd for sure think that I'd be hungry for SOMETHING. Heck, pizza wouldn't even float my boat right now. I just feel like I should be at another place. I see my doctor in 8 days. I guess my biggest complaint is feeling sort of weak due to not eating. THOUGH, I know I'm dying...lol - plenty of stored up 'fuel' on this hiney!

Bugs me too, that burping has a different feeling, it almost hurts - definately uncomfortable. Maybe still gas bubbles from surgery? I just want to get up and GOOOOOOOOOO. Want to feel 'normal', I want to feel 'well'. I guess I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired this past week. :think

I was feeling pretty crappy all around for about two weeks after surgery. I never had much pain at the incision points, or pain from gas. But I had just about everything else. Bad cold, diarrhea, lack of energy. Think of it this way, you have an excuse to explore the intricacies of day time television. Don't worry too much. You'll feel better soon.

For energy, I found that Protein Shakes were helpful. The pre-mixed kind in the can are easiest.

Okay beautiful January Bandsters, I've got a question for all of you. So it looks like I'll be banded in March... =( I'm wondering how long before you were able to get up and move around? I'm in a musical right now and we open in March and then run for 3 possibly 4 weeks. I sing a lot in the show (a lot of movement in the tummy area) and I have a solo tap number. If I have the surgery on a Monday morning, will I be ready to go on Thursday evening? I know I can "mark it" so to speak and not do everything full out but am I jeopardizing my band or my health? I'm 20 years old and I heal really fast but I'm still concerned. Your thoughts please. Thanks!

Love, Sheila

Some people are just fine a couple of days and others aren't. I'm 3 weeks post-op and there's no way in hell I could do a tap dance number. I was very weak for the first 5 days and needed a great deal of sleep. I even had a fever for the first 3 days. While you're younger and may bounce back faster, you just never know how it's going to affect you. It's not just the surgery that takes its toll on you, it's the anesthesia, too.

I have a friend who is an actor and does a lot of local theater. I know that it can be grueling. You also have to consider the costumes you'll be wearing. I'm still not in regular pants because 2 of my incisions are at my waistline. I think it will be a couple of weeks before I can wear anything without an elastic waist. What about costume changes? You're going to be sore and will not be able to move as quickly. In fact, you may not be able to bend over at all. And most doctors recommend no strenuous exercise for 3-4 weeks. I'd consider tap dancing strenuous.

If I were you, I'd either reschedule the surgery or opt out of the musical just to be safe. You don't want to over extend yourself and hamper your recovery.

Love, Sheila

I had my surgery on Monday and went to work on Thursday. I would say that I was 50-60%. I was sore and it was a little hard to concentrate. I'm 53 so maybe your age will work for you. At least you will be motivated to get moving. That I think helps you recover the best. Good Luck

Sheila - it looks like you are doing great too! That is awesome! I agree with you about being positive. Attitude makes all the difference! :)

Thanks juno610!!

Be Blessed!

Hey all,

I thought I was getting better, but got hit with this cold. I'm 1 week out today; and really haven't any desire to eat or drink. Is this b/c I have restriction? I eat maybe 1 cup MAXXXXXX at any given time. I'm really trying like mad to get my liquids in; but haven't reached 64 oz yet.

I know, I know, its just a week. But at this point, I'd for sure think that I'd be hungry for SOMETHING. Heck, pizza wouldn't even float my boat right now. I just feel like I should be at another place. I see my doctor in 8 days. I guess my biggest complaint is feeling sort of weak due to not eating. THOUGH, I know I'm dying...lol - plenty of stored up 'fuel' on this hiney!

Bugs me too, that burping has a different feeling, it almost hurts - definately uncomfortable. Maybe still gas bubbles from surgery? I just want to get up and GOOOOOOOOOO. Want to feel 'normal', I want to feel 'well'. I guess I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired this past week. :think

I'm almost 3 weeks out, and just now working my way up to the 64 oz of Water a day. It is really hard, but the longer post op you are, the easier it gets. Also, I had no desiere to eat either until around 9 to 10 days post op. I'm still only eating about 1/2 cup at each meal.

I had surgery on Friday and worked on Monday but I wasn't all here. I was about 50-60% too. I am 44 though. I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill right at 2 weeks, but I haven't been back since. No energy still. I am trying to force myself everyday.

You are so much younger though, bet you will do better.

Good Luck

Hey everyone!

Just checking in, sorry I didn't post as often, I'm so busy with school and now work, that I just go home and go to bed after the end of the day!

I went to my surgeon's for my follow up and everything looks good and I lost 20 pounds since my surgery! Now I'm on a puree diet for 2 weeks, soft foods for another 2 weeks and then back to solids. I go in for a fill on March 14th.

I can't believe I'm doing this! I never thought I'd lose weight. I can start exercising too, my school has a gym i might sign up for that since it's only 40 bucks for a semester. I'm glad to hear everyone is doing okay, we are all a support to each other!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Hey Diva,

I can say "HECK NO"! With this dancing, you'd better check with your surgeon...twisting is a no-no the first few weeks worth of excercise. The port is still trying to 'settle' into its new home - and dancing could be too much, distruptive infact.

As far as singing, my voice is still a little off from having the anesthesia tube down my throat.

I'd rather see you get well before you did your play, or just put off the band until after the play is over.

Love, Sheila

Sheila, well I'm 33. I'm responsible for a youth/young adult choir that I sing with, and from time to time direct. I had surgery on a Friday. By Wednesday I was allowed to drive, and went on my first outing. It wore me out to the point that I came home and collapsed. By Thursday I was much better. By the following Sunday I was back to singing and the Sunday after that directing.

I will say that I was singing (to myself) all through the recovery (even when I was still in the hospital - I spent one night). In my opinion it helped to clear my lungs just as much as the aspirator (sp).

So, giving the fact I've got over 10 years on you...singing I think you'll be fine. It's the tap dancing I'd be concerned about.

Audree – don’t ever, ever feel guilty for making the great progress that you have made. You are the one dedicated to follow the bandster rules and are the one working hard to achieve your goals. I love to read every one of your posts for the inspiration and encouragement that you offer to everyone here.

I pledge along with you to help one another along this journey with our bands, whatever their names may be.

Pam, I don’t know that I could honestly answer all of your questions just yet since I haven’t even had a fill yet. Most of the January bandsters are either newly banded or they were banded earlier in January and are waiting until the first fill, like me. At this point I don’t have much restriction and am limiting my portions by choice. I do get hungry again within a couple hours, but I hope that with fills that situation will chance. I think I do know what restriction felt because of how I felt right after surgery. I was able to feel completely full with very little food. I did not feel deprived. I do not view banding as one MORE diet. I view this as a long term tool to help me stop gorging on food and eating way too big of portions at a time. That alone will help contribute to my weight loss. As I have begun to lose weight, I feel better and WANT to get out and walk, exercise and move a lot more than before. I am motivated to make this work. Audree gave an excellent answer to your questions, but wanted to add that we really don’t have the sweet spot restriction yet ourselves.

<O:p</O:p

My doctor said the average excess weight loss for lap band after 5 years was 50%. He said he could not predict on an individual basis, but that was the average in the latest study. He showed examples of many with 100% excess weight loss, and some with 20% excess weight loss.

In just over 4 weeks I have lost 21.5 pounds since banding. I feel that I have followed my doctor's instruction and am trying to stay on track. I do want this to work and am motivated. I am happy I had this surgery and would do it again in a heart beat.

Terry

Very well said!!!

We seem to be losing at around the same rate so far!

Audrey and Sunny, Thank you for persuing my concerns, I was at such a low today after the Nurse practioner did her speech. I just started typing and having a melt down, then after posting I read that Audrey was having a bad day with PMS and I felt so selfish.

So what I should have done is read read read and reviewed everything everybody writes about and remind myself of all these real life successes I read about and review the 100# club and the pictures of all the success stories.

I also can hopefully believe that I am afraid to fail (again) and I am on the 2nd day of pre op shakes and am letting food control my emotions.

The reason I want the lapband is to feel full and after I read back to babygotback postings and lots other (which I should have read prior to posting) I would have read that she is not been hungry and also has not had a fill yet. And as I have read other posts after the sweet spot is hit, people actually forget to eat all the time. I guess I did not realize how much of an emotional wreck I am when I am hungry.

I swear typically I am a pretty put together person!

Thank you! I feel like hugging you guys! It was HUGE what you did for me!

If you ever get down, call on me! I will put things in perspective for you, I will research the answer for you even though it is right in front of you.

I am on this website at least 3-4 hours each day consistently, I just had a meltdown.

No prob!!!:);):)

Today is a new day!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Now I am just waiting for darn "aunt flo" to come!!!! She is late and is going to interfere with my Friday weigh in if she doesn't hurry up!!!

I am feeling so much better right now, can we just do a group hug? I am positive that if I will not "starving" I will be one of the ones that make that stastic of goal weight.

(((((((((:);):) :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :girl_hug: )))))))))))

Audrey, YOU are a major anchor here, don't stop posting your successes because I talk about you to my friends and family all the time.

Good things I hope!!!!;) :biggrin1: :)

Audree,

You are the anchor here. Keep posting!

I really appreciate all of you guys!!! I come here to read all of your posts and get so much encouragement from all of you!!!

I was just really having an emotional day yesterday, feeling really down. I get tired, depressed for no reason, hungrier and just weird right before my period.

I am choosing today, to refuse to give into it and surround myself with positive thoughts, positive and uplifting music, scriptures, etc.

I am taking my negative and irrational thoughts captive!!!!!!

And throwing them out of my head!!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Hey everyone!

Just checking in, sorry I didn't post as often, I'm so busy with school and now work, that I just go home and go to bed after the end of the day!

I went to my surgeon's for my follow up and everything looks good and I lost 20 pounds since my surgery! Now I'm on a puree diet for 2 weeks, soft foods for another 2 weeks and then back to solids. I go in for a fill on March 14th.

I can't believe I'm doing this! I never thought I'd lose weight. I can start exercising too, my school has a gym i might sign up for that since it's only 40 bucks for a semester. I'm glad to hear everyone is doing okay, we are all a support to each other!

Keep up the good work everyone!

That is awesome!!! Keep up the good work!!!:clap2: :clap2: