Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Got inspired to try it after reading this forum. Today will be W1D2. I agree with Mistysj, adjusting the treadmill is the annoying part! I hope to make progress though as my walk speed was 3.0 and my "run" was 3.5 :( Would prefer to do it outside but I'm too self conscious at this point to jog in public. Is it just me?

...... Would prefer to do it outside but I'm too self conscious at this point to jog in public. Is it just me?

Read this....

"Hey, Fat girl....

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."

Reposted from http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Butter - you are amazing. Honest, helpful and oh so kind. That post nearly brought me to tears. I thought to myself - I don't know him personally but I 'love' that man! LOL, no worries, I'm a very happily married lady.

I think that your response was dead on perfect.

Ran 2.25 today and upped my speed a hair. Will start week 2 of 10k training Wednesday.

I ran wk 6 day 3 and I'm happy I was able to run the 22 mins straight but I'm disappointed I only went 2 miles. Does it get easier to work on speed after you finish the 9 wk program?

Official results came in on my 10K race Saturday. Men's 40/over bracket....... I took first. Never in my life did I think that would happen.

That's amazing man. Max respect. I always notice when you come back from a run you talk about 'the amazing runners' that were there. Obviously you're one 'of them'. Congrats.

Just finished reading. Great seeing everyone running. Been a while since I've posted. I'm still running. I do a 5k jog 2 or 3 times a week. I mainly focus on CrossFit and do a 5k on the days I can't get there. I CrossFit or jog everyday and never feel like I'm at risk of over training. At this stage I'm happy sticking to 5k and don't have any interest to stretch it out - but who knows what the future holds.

Deano

I ran wk 6 day 3 and I'm happy I was able to run the 22 mins straight but I'm disappointed I only went 2 miles. Does it get easier to work on speed after you finish the 9 wk program?

Frank I found my 'fitness' was all over the place during the program. At times I felt strong and at other times, no so much. For the program, I didn't worry about speed or distance. I just made sure I ran when they said run and walk when they said walk. It does get easier, and then you can focus on speed / distance.

The main focus is turning up and training at this stage. Consistency is the key - just keep running!

Knocked out W1D2 tonight!

Frank I found my 'fitness' was all over the place during the program. At times I felt strong and at other times' date=' no so much. For the program, I didn't worry about speed or distance. I just made sure I ran when they said run and walk when they said walk. It does get easier, and then you can focus on speed / distance.

The main focus is turning up and training at this stage. Consistency is the key - just keep running![/quote']

I made it a point to run out every running session and I have been able to do that

I guess I'm a little impatient. I could not wait to hear the lady say slow down to a brisk walk.

Just finished reading. Great seeing everyone running. Been a while since I've posted. I'm still running. I do a 5k jog 2 or 3 times a week. I mainly focus on CrossFit and do a 5k on the days I can't get there. I CrossFit or jog everyday and never feel like I'm at risk of over training. At this stage I'm happy sticking to 5k and don't have any interest to stretch it out - but who knows what the future holds.

Deano

Hi Dean!!

Long time no see! I got kicked outta here because I couldn't get past week one!! (For a month) :P

But I wanted to say howdy :)

And OMG look at your ticker!!

Great job!

Read this....

"Hey, Fat girl....

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."

Reposted from http://flintland.blo...y-fat-girl.html

Wow Butter, that actually did make me cry!! Thanks, very uplifting! I guess we can be our own worst critics sometimes. Maybe after this first week is over I will take week 2 C25k to the track at the park. I've done two 5ks this year (Color Me Rad & Muddogs King of the Hill) but did not run, just power walked so I would like to finally like to actually "run" in one AND achieve the obstacles in Muddog next year instead of walking around most of them. Excited about this app!

Hi all:

Just finished W2 D1 last night. I'm doing the program every other day. My question is what activity do you guys do on the other days? I read that running every day is not recommended specially for a beginner like myself but I would like to exercise on a daily basis. I'm thinking maybe take a bike ride on the other days so as to not put stress on my joints.

Thanks,

Read this....

"Hey' date=' Fat girl....

You are awesome.

I bow to you."

Reposted from http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Thanks so much for this BTB! It reminded me of a run I had a couple years ago. I had just passed 2 miles and this guy was riding in the opposite direction. He actually pulled to the side and yelled out "you're doing great!" How awesome is that? Wouldn't the world be such a better place if we all supported each other like that? I try to pass it on while Im out running, but Im usually out so early I never see anyone.

I'm still struggling with knee pain. It's really strange because it doesn't hurt when Im running, only when walking. I'm thinking about scheduling Orthovisc injections for it, but they usually last 12 months for me and it's only been 8 this time. I finished W6D2 today.

Hi all:

Just finished W2 D1 last night. I'm doing the program every other day. My question is what activity do you guys do on the other days? I read that running every day is not recommended specially for a beginner like myself but I would like to exercise on a daily basis. I'm thinking maybe take a bike ride on the other days so as to not put stress on my joints.

Thanks,

A bike ride is great. Also, some upper body resistance training is a nice supplement. Really, anything that is low impact and doesn't just destroy your legs would be fine. Even just walking is a great way to recover.

A bike ride is great. Also, some upper body resistance training is a nice supplement. Really, anything that is low impact and doesn't just destroy your legs would be fine. Even just walking is a great way to recover.

Seems like good advice.Thanks a lot!!!