Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FEBRUARY SLEEVERS 2013....how you doing after you've been Sleeved

Hi everyone, I was sleeved Tuesday 2/12. My surgeon advanced my diet to a phase 2 which includes blended Soups, pudding, boiled and peeled potatoes, scrambled eggs, and cottage cheese. I have tried mashed potatoes and cottage cheese, but after a couple of bites I have a cramping sensation in my stomach that hurts. Does anyone else get this? A friend said that I might be eating to much or to fast...I haven't had food since, sticking with the Protein Shakes because I'm kind of scared to eat. Any input would help.

Otherwise I feel pretty darn good, I'm down 20lbs since the start of the liquid diet to now! ^_^

Hi. I was sleeved the same day as you. My doctor's phases are a little different and he is super conservative about moving on. I'm in phase 2 which means any of the Clear Liquids, Protein Drinks, and heart healthy (low fat) strained, thinned creamed soups. I can't move on to the next phase which is blenderized/pureed until week 4. He also gives instruction when adding new foods to have one bite, chew well, and if there is no distress, try it again. If at any point you have distress, stop and wait a few days before you try it again.

I'm trying to get creative and my family is eating a lot of Soup these days. :-) I've gotten a super full feeling if I've "eaten" too fast. It doesn't really hurt, but is uncomfortable. I made the mistake of eating a broth that was too rich the other night and I was in the bathroom all night. I was so worried about making sure it was thin enough and strained that it never occured to me that my system isn't used to rich foods since being on liquids for so many weeks. I was naseated for a couple of hours. I learned my lesson. I now also take into consideration what kind of liquids things are made with. I too feel really well now and am mostly back to normal. I am just so ready to eat something with a little more substance. I have lost 16 pounds though so that's good! Good luck. Let us know how advancing the diet goes.

My Dr progressed me to phase two yesterday. He told me as tolerated, my body will tell me if its too much. I can do yogurts and pudding but still not ok with mashed potatoes or cream of wheat.

Pudding and yogurt were on your phase two diet list? We were sleeved by the same surgeon just two days apart. I wasn't given the okay for that. I wonder why? Everything is good and they were impressed with how many oz of Fluid I'm able to get in during the day. Of course I didn't see the doc, I saw a PA. I wonder if that's the difference? I wondered why no yogurt if it is smooth, but didn't think to ask before I left.

I am not diabetic but I was heading in that direction. In fact, that was my main motivation for surgery. My fasting blood sugar was running between 100 and 110. The day of my surgery, they came in and checked my blood sugar and it was 170! I had been fasting for a day and a half at that point. They gave me a shot of insulin (my first and last) in the hospital. It started trending down after that. By the time I was released, it was in the 90s. Did anyone else see their blood sugar shoot up after surgery?

I wish I could say that about my diabetes. Pre op I was only using 30 units pm 20 units pm and only had to use my novolog a few times in very small doses and my sugars were ranging 110 - 210. since surgery im finding them up into the 360's i think its alot of anxiety, I hope anyway im praying I can get off the insulin totally. I have removed my OnQ pain ball so maybe that will help too.

I did the Peanut Butter thing to but now I'm sick of that flavour too (never thought I'd say that!). The mint could be interesting but to be honest I'm just over the whole sweet thing in its entirety (would be so nice if this is a permanent thing! hahaha).

I'm now pretty much ingesting only savoury/saltier fluids, like chicken noodle Soup broth, beef and veg soup broth......I put some small curd cottage cheese through a food mill and thinned it out with some milk and it kind of tasted like a mild feta (weird I know, but when you're desperate to have anything but something sweet and trying to get some Protein as well you get creative!). Also enjoying Tomato Soup and V8 juice in addition to my warm tea and flavoured (diet mix) waters.

I know what you mean! I'm sick of the sweet as well! I'm allowed thinned, strained, low fat cream Soups also. Yesterday I sauteed some onions, garlic, and italian seasoning in a teaspoon of EVOO until carmelized, added a can of heart healthy Tomato soup, 1 can of Water and a knorr bullion cube, cooked it on low for like an hour. Then I pureed it and strained it. Added a drop or two of balsamic vinegar and fresh ground pepper to my bowl. It was heaven! Today I added a spoon of f/f sour cream to my bowl. It was yummy like that as well. I've ordered some plain Unjury Protein Powder so that I can get my protein in with soups as well. I'll be doing this again.

I had surgery on the 18th. Hope it gets better because I am quite miserable

I was sleeved on the 20th be patient it will get better. I'll pray for you!

Congrats to you

I'm with you girl I'm in love with my sleeve. Had my surgery on the 20th also, healing just fine. Yeahhhhhhh.

I had my sleeve done in the 20th an no matter what I drink or sip in my stomach cramps up :( pls tell me this is going to get better???? Ugh

I was sleeved on 2/19, been home a couple days from the hospital. Despite some really sloppy nursing care, overall I think my surgery experience went pretty well. (I'm a nurse so my standards are a bit biased).

The last 24 hrs I've been struggling with really bad reflux; I had it before my surgery and was on Nexium, post-op my surgeon prescribed me prevacid twice a day. Now I'm finding I don't think the prevacid is doing the trick and I started taking my nexium too. Everything turns my stomach, I'm literally forcing myself to drink enough fluids, and there's no way I'm getting in enough Protein.< /p>

I think if I get my reflux under control I'll be able to stomach more of what I'm supposed to be eating. I can't stand the smell of my protein powder, so I've been looking for other supplements I can use besides doing Protein Shakes to get it all in. The protein is the biggest piece, I know I'm staying hydrated just by the color of my pee (sorry, I know that's gross).

I didn't have a drain, but I'm still really sore, especially on my right side. I'm still using the Percoset they gave me, although most everyone said I wouldn't need it much after a few days home.

I was sleeved Feb 20 I'm on full liquid diet. I made a yummy butternut squash Soup put some tofu, chicken, cilantro, chicken broth, salt, pepped, when cooked put it in blender to liquify add more chicken broth and its a yummy liquid butternut squash soup with Protein chicken and tofu.

[ATTACH]9726[/ATTACH]

post-21839-13813663379568_thumb.png

I was sleeved on the 19th. At this point I am on liquid diet until next Thursday. I had a drainage port put in since the 19th and it will be not be removed until the 28th has anyone else had that?

Bored with chocolate & vanilla? I sure am!

I just made a chocolate Protein Shake but added a tablespoon of reduced fat Peanut Butter (8 g protein) before I blended it in my Ninja. Oh' date=' yum!!! Can you say Reeses Peanut Butter Cup?

Three weeks on "full liquids" plus 3 more to go! I have got to find some ways to dress these shakes up!

Anyone else have some ideas to change up these chocolate & vanilla Protein Shakes? Has anyone tried a drop or two of peppermint oil? How about instant coffee for a mocha flavor?[/quote']

I made a nice one the other day. It is posted under Protein shake category

It was a banana, chocolate PB2, vanilla protein, and Water (called for milk)

244 calories 29g protein. It was yummy bit because so much in it (10oz) it was a meal for me

I know what you mean! I'm sick of the sweet as well! I'm allowed thinned, strained, low fat cream Soups also. Yesterday I sauteed some onions, garlic, and italian seasoning in a teaspoon of EVOO until carmelized, added a can of heart healthy Tomato Soup, 1 can of Water and a knorr bullion cube, cooked it on low for like an hour. Then I pureed it and strained it. Added a drop or two of balsamic vinegar and fresh ground pepper to my bowl. It was heaven! Today I added a spoon of f/f sour cream to my bowl. It was yummy like that as well. I've ordered some plain Unjury Protein powder so that I can get my protein in with soups as well. I'll be doing this again.

BB, this sounds delicious. I wish I enjoyed Tomato Soup or I would try it.

I just made a chocolate Protein Shake but added a tablespoon of reduced fat Peanut Butter (8 g protein) before I blended it in my Ninja. Oh' date=' yum!!! Can you say Reeses Peanut Butter Cup?

Three weeks on "full liquids" plus 3 more to go! I have got to find some ways to dress these shakes up!

Anyone else have some ideas to change up these chocolate & vanilla Protein Shakes? Has anyone tried a drop or two of peppermint oil? How about instant coffee for a mocha flavor?[/quote']

Vanilla Protein powder, instant Decaf (1/2 tsp or so) , and a packet or two of splendid. It was the best way to drink the protein my doctor prescribed.

Managed a small piece of grilled chicken tonight & it was successful! Also, the sharp pain in my right size - pretty much gone!

I'm still pre-op and I use cottage cheese in my shakes and do A LOT of variations with different ingredients. Tonight I made an "oatmeal cookie" shake by adding in 2 tbsp. of chocolate chips and 2 tbsp. of quick oats. I add a little splenda and a scoop of Protein powder in each shake. I've done quite a few different ones and they make it more tolerable. I get tired of the same boring flavors as well.

P.S. Love my Ninja. That thing pulvarizes things in a split second!