Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had to stop takig their anti-dep/anixert meds....

Prior to surgery?? My dr told me that there is a risk of bleeding but he didn't see a reason to stop taking the meds....any nurses or dr's have any input??? Of course I'm freaking out about 2 start my 3rd day of my liquid diet an now this news... :'(

I didn't have to stop them before or after surgery. Had to stop Celebrex before and now, and off many meds, but not those! Want to know about the bipap machine.

I'm not a nurse or Dr., but I took my Paxil before, the day of, and after my surgery with absolutely no complications. When you are on liquids your surgeon may tell you to crush your pill, but that's really the only change I was asked to make.

Paxil does come in a "CR" or extended release forms....if this is the form you are taking, do not crush the tablet as it will not be in an extended release form after you crush it. Talk with your provider/pharmacist should this be the case. Just an FYI for you.

I have heard of antidepressants being blood thinner. so you should trust your doctor. However if you have an anxiety disorder you might want to ask fo something short term to help with that like zanax. Now's not the time to have a panic attack. I think we all should get pre op zanex to help get through the ten days of liquid food and pre surgery jitters. Hang in there but don't be afraid to ask for what you need :)

My Therapist spoke with my Surgeon last night that stated since i'm on Zoloft and Certraline that there could be possible bleeding during the surgery (which I'm assuming if I started to loose alot of blood they would replace) so of course no i'm worried...both the surgeon and my dr are not concerned but had to mention it because there is a chance. The surgeon said he's done the procedure on plenty of patients on anti-depression and anxiety meds. But i'm scared enough about this as it is and now this...Jus wondering if anyone was told the same thing from their surgeon?

I'm on Effexor for depression and anxiety. My surgeon said there's no problem taking it before during or after. Hope this helps.

Effexor was the hardest drug to withdraw. I don't think you would experience withdraw symptoms its just a couple days. But quitting cold turkey was difficult. So don't go too long without it.

Fawn- I agree. The withdrawals come on quick so i sure hope I'm not throwing up and not able to take it.

I'm on Lexapro and Busphar. Also Ativan if needed. I didn't have to stop any of them before or after. I just had to take 1 pill at a time, 15 minutes apart at the beginning after the surgery. They are smaller than the omeprazole capsule I take for the stomach before eating. Every doctor is different.

I am on a low dose Cymbalta and I am being asked to stop at lest for 3 days before surgery.

My doc told me I "may or may not" need my anti-depressant Cymbalta after surgery..So three days after surgery of quitting cymbalta cold turkey I had the most horrendous headache, diarrhea, slurred speech and confusion. I was re-admitted to the bariatric clinic and given three liters of saline for what they considered dehydration. I told them over and over this was due to withdrawals from Cymbalta and that I needed to go back on it ASAP. I received a blank stare and no answers. As soon as I got home I contacted my pharmacist and she said it was ok to open the extended release capsule and take the contents with a little food. Two days later and I am now feeling normal and my diarrhea stopped. This all happened last Friday. I am so upset with my doc to ever think he could just have me quit this damn drug without weaning me off! Its DANGEROUS to do that! Ask Any Doctor (but mine)!! The ironic thing is I have been going through the motions to get approved for surgery since last July. We had months and months to address this issue and get me off this nasty drug!! the subject of weaning me off of Cymbalta should have been brought up then, not just arbitrarily telling me with a wave of his hand right before surgery that I had to come off the drug. Today I go for my one week post op appointment and oh boy oh boy is my doc going to get an education!

Yikes. I went 2 days without my cymbalta post op and I was a crying-depressed MESS! As soon as I got home I took it and was back to "me" the next day. Dr said to open capsule and use daily. Just wish they would have given it to me in the hospital too.

Glad you are both doing better. I take anti anxiety meds because I've had panic attacks. Also, I am still on my Lexapro and busphar.