Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">My dr. had me on liquids for 2 weeks, mushies two weeks, then introduce food. I came out of surgery thinking that my new stoma was just 4 oz and thought I had already screwed my band up, stretched it out or something because I could eat more than a jar of baby food. :hungry:

This is the thing that I get from everyone at the support meetings:

After you heal your band is only around your stomach.

Only after you begin having fills, sometimes 2 or 3, is when you can really tell that the band has made your stomach smaller hence finally the fullness. The doctor told me that he wasn't worried about so much about losing weight until after I have had 2 maybe the third fill.

When I called the nurse, because I was concerned because I could eat more than the baby jar and still hold some because of lack of food, she just got on to me saying "stop at a 1/4 cup at each sitting. The band is a TOOL" not a miracle worker.:) My thinking is this, for the money I dished out this banding better work because otherwise, I could have done it with old fashioned willpower. I've done it before. The nurse ticked me off needless to say.:eek: I hope this info helps you understand that the fills are the secret to the fullness;)

WCchunkygal

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hi Jaqui-- It doesn't seem that you would be more hungry than normal, but who knows what normal is. Keep up the hard work, make sure you are getting all your Water and Protein...and hold strong until you get a fill. Water and Protein are the most important!

Good luck on your Journey.

Ok December bandster buddies, I need help.

What is a good, high Protein snack I can eat in the afternoon so I'm not starving when I get home? I can't do cheese because I've learned I can't control myself when I have it.

Any other suggestions? I'm on mushies for a few more days but then I move to solids. Yay. :)

I bought the 20 gram Protein pudding from bariatriceating.com . At 100 calories and 0 sugar, these things are great- and filling.

Other ideas would be to get some of the plain whey protein (20 grams per scoop, 80cal.) and mix it with anything from juice to cocoa to yogurt- whatever you like.

Some stores sell cottage cheese in 1/2 cup servings. You like cheese, so what about the 1oz string or cheddar varieties? costco carries them. Just only bring what you can afford to eat for the day so you are not tempted.

The Jello brand sugar-free puddings are good fillers at about 35 calories, though not protein rich.

Just ideas...

I was just in the library of calorie-count.com and found this paragraph about Protein interesting. I know that I am thirstier than usual! ALso- some of you mentioned having really dry skin, this could be why!

As mentioned before, there are many sorts of Protein. whey protein has the most filling effect, whereas animal Proteins are better for calorie expenditure than vegetable ones. However, keep in mind that protein-rich foods can cause dehydration, which, in a worst-case scenario, can do damage to your heart. Therefore, if you are eating lots of protein, make sure to drink two or three glasses of fluids more than the recommended eight glasses a day.

I was banded on 12/15 and just got my first fill today. Doc put the needle in my port and had me sit up and drink Water so he could figure out how much saline I needed to feel restricted. Right now I only have 1.65 in my VG band that holds 10ccs! I hope that the restriction stays for a while!

Hi! I was wondering about your 1st fill....glad it went well! Let us (or at least me, lol) know how long your restriction lasts! I'm curious about my 1st fill. My nutritionist says that maybe the doc won't actually give me a fill on the 12th of Feb afterall! She says it depends on how much I lose before then...if it's slow, they'll fill. If I'm still losing, they're going to wait! I thought it was "normal" to have a fill at 6 weeks post-op. Am I crazy or what?

As for the flaky face thing, yeah I'm experiencing that too! Take some Omega 3, 6, or 9 Fish Oil supplements! REALLY seem to help...especially since we've all drastically reduced our intake of fats. * Note: but I ONLY take them right when I go to bed. Otherwise...fish taste all day, along with fish burps. ICK, gross! You have been warned. :biggrin1:

And about that weighing everyday thing, I've been guilty of that too. But sometimes it does dictacte how well my day will be! Not where I want to be with that, but working on it. INSTEAD, I'm just paying attention to how my clothes feel...and so far, great! I don't feel so much like a bloated fish anymore. A blow fish, if you can visualize it, WAS me!

Keep up the good work December Bandsters!!!!

Luckygirl....sorry to hear you don't feel restriction! How much did you get?

Hopefully like Step said it is just taking a few days to kick in. Otherwise, call your Dr. back and tell them you need more....Hang in there!

Maurdan, some suggestions for snacks: Turkey (or other lean meat), almonds, riccotta or cottage cheese, Peanut Butter. SouthBeach also makes some good Protein bars that are only about 140 calories and have 10g of Protein in them. You could also do a high Protein shake. Hope that helps! Let us know what you end up doing.

Siyah, that is interesting about protein...I had never heard that before! Although I do find myself thirsty in between meals, I just thought it was b/c I wasn't drinking w/meals like I used to.

Carebear....I will keep you all posted and let you know how long the fill lasts. I have heard some people say the first fill gets absorbed into a dry band...so I hope that doesn't happen to me!

WC...I would have been pissed at the nurse too!!! If we were able to stop ourselves at 1/4 cup, why would we need the band?? Ugh..some skinny people just don't get it ;-) LOL

Ok December bandster buddies, I need help.

What is a good, high Protein snack I can eat in the afternoon so I'm not starving when I get home? I can't do cheese because I've learned I can't control myself when I have it.

Any other suggestions? I'm on mushies for a few more days but then I move to solids. Yay. :)

Can you make a little chicken salad that you can snack on. What about cottage cheese? I know you said you overdo it with cheese but I am thinking you meant regular cheese. Maybe some black bean Soup. That is hearty and filling without pushing the cals too much. My Snacks tend to be small versions of a meal (which is pretty small too). It is harder when I can't just have my usual apple and Peanut Butter snack that I have always relied on to tied me over til dinner. I understand. What about a shake? I like Matrix vanilla with a little Peanut Butter thrown in and that actually keeps me satisfied. Good luck finding what works for you and if you find anything new, please share.

I too have the flaky face going on. I tend to be dry but never this flaky. I am amazed to see there may be a link to the Protein I have been drinking. Interesting. I will wait to see if it changes now that I am on mushies and can eat animal Proteins. Can anyone recommend a good face moisturizer that won't break my bank? Something from a drugstore and not a beauty counter. Just wondering what you all use for dry skin.

How is everyone getting in all their Fluid when you can't drink with meals? I am curious. I try to drink at least a bottle of Water in between eating but it is harder to do when I am supposed to stop drinking 30 minutes before eating (I don't usually do this) and not drink for an hour after (I do this step). I am finding I wake up and drink Water before even thinking about eating. I am definitely struggling to get 75 or more ounces in a day. UGH!

I kind of do like you said and drink a bottle in between meals Kay. I am worried that when I get a fill I won't be able to chug it like I do now and then I will really be in a fix. My doctor recommends not drinking 30 minutes before or after, but I just stick with the after part now...I never really know when 30 minutes before is.

I have a question for you guys... For anyone on solids yet.. has your dr given you any guidelines regarding calories. I feel like I need a limit to stick too and want to be reasonable.

I went in the dr. yesterday to buy more shakes and weighed while there, I was down 3 pounds in a week and a half, and I am thankful it went down but I was sure wishing for more, I spoke to them about making my fill sooner because it was scheduled at 7 wks instead of 6 weeks and they accomodated me and made it for the 23rd!! I am thankful for that.

The last couple of nites I have been sliding into old habits, and munching out while watching movies. I ate a whole cup or more of cashews last nite and a 5 oz chunk of cheese the nite before. I need a spanking!! Could someone come over and hold my mouth shut please.

I only got 1cc at my fill so I am going to insist on at least 1cc next time too. I don't feel different at all after my fill. I still get full after about a cup but i seem to get hungry sooner...

So glad to know what i'm going through is normal though - the only way to know that is to compare it to you all and we seem to be going through most of the same feelings and physical things - Like flaky skin!

okiefamily---I did the same thing with pecans. I made some sugar free spiced nuts and ate almost all of them (about 1 1/2 cups). I was glad when my husband came home and had some. And you don't need a spanking--just a fill. I know what you mean about the restriction and Water intake. Right now I can get so much down with no problem. My first fill is on the 23rd so we'll see what happens. CONGRATULATIONS on your 3 pound loss. That's excellent!!

Kaydot---My mom told me about Eucerin for Extra Dry Skin. She's says it's kinda greasy but she uses it all over--even on her face. I tried it while visiting her and it's great but haven't tried it on my face yet. She's uses it at night.

The Water thing has been a struggle for me too. However once I was told by my dietician that drinking more than 4 oz of water at time would not stretch out the pouch, then I've been much better. Again, I'm not sure how it will be after the first fill.

Hi everyone , I was just banded on Dec 26 and I was wondering if it is normal to be more hungry than normal,(may be in my head,lol) and able to eat anything? I am trying to stick to everything I should but could eat a horse if I had a little ketchup, lol I am being good but just wondering if it is normal .

Hi Jaqui----I just read your post about seeming to be more hungry after your surgery. About a week after my surgery I felt hungry too. I was craving so many things and it was around Christmas so there were so many goodies around. It was HELL!!! I would think it is very normal to still be hungry after the surgery whether it's head hunger or physical hunger. Hang in there! Are you on solids yet? That helped me---once I was able to get some dense Proteins in like chicken and beef (pureed), I didn't seem to crave things so much.

G'day all :)

I'm back from the beach, I had a nice time away and went for a few short walks :girl_hug:

I've just been reading all the posts while I was away. In relation to dry/flakey skin, I'd have to say at this point in time mine is totally opposite. My skin has never looked better, its fabulous, all shiny, healthy and looking bettter than it ever has. Hope its stays that way :girl_hug:

Maurdan: I've started having half a Protein shake to satisfy my afternoon hunger and get me through :) I find it very satisfying.

Kaydotrn: I've been struggling getting in all my fluids (drinking) and I'm still on fluids/liquids. So I dont't yet have to worry about eating and drinking. I drink what I can inbetween my liquid meals :)

Okiefamily: I got the snack attacks while watching TV over the weekend at nights. I went to the pantry and found a jar of Peanut Butter and a jar of Vegemite (salty yeast extract). I dipped a teaspoon into each and found I was satisfied after that. I'd be way to scared to try nuts just yet.

CONGRATS on your 3 pound loss :)

Luckygirl: 1 cup of food for me would be a taste in comparison to what I used to eat. I dare say you will still lose if all your comsuming is 1 cup. What are you having if your still hungry again?

I'm jealous your all starting to get your fills and have appointments with dr's. I still have 2 weeks and 2 days before I see the dr & who knows if he will do a fill? YAY! 7 days till I can eat Vitamised mushy food (Bring it on)

My body shape has changed and I feel like I've lost weight these past couple of days I'm resisting getting on the scales till Tuesday (weigh in day) Wish me luck :) I'll keep you posted

CHEERS to Happy Healthy Eating

Hey Gerbera,

I find that I have been craving weird things - like fruit. I accidently picked up a bag of banana chips a few weeks ago and have eaten the whole bag over a 2 week period - they are not so good for you since they were cooked in oil - which I didn't know but once i tasted it - I sucked on them till they melted in my mouth. Finally they are gone! I did buy one of those bowls of fresh fruit from the store - you know grapes, melon, pineapple, etc. I have been craving that stuff. I think my body is telling me something!

Although last week I had had a Protein shake for Breakfast and by about 11:00 am i was hungry so i had a handful of goldfish crackers. i was too stuffed to eat lunch so I skipped it. Before the goldfish would have gotten my blood sugar going and I would have pigged out at lunch!

Tonight we went to Outback steakhouse and i ordered the coconut shrimp (an appetizer) as a meal with a potato and salad - fully planning on sharing everything with the fam. Ate about 5 bites of salad, 4 shrimp, and some of the potato and was very full and satisfied. Did not eat a piece of bread but took a few little crumbs to taste with the butter and it was sooo good.

It might sound like it was too indulgent but I have found that we used to eat our 2-3 times a week and now maybe once if at all. I just don't find it as fun to go out to eat now - too much temptation and I just like what I can cook now - so much better than before.

Very jealous of your skin - hopefully this dryness will end soon - already starting to with as much lotion as i have been applying!