Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking... Alcohol anyway...

The fact that you can't Celebrate your 30th birthday without booze says more than anything else about you. You might want to get a handle on that before you hit 40 or you're gonna be a mess.

^^^ really!? Wow some people on here are so rude! So because she wants to have a few drinks she has a huge problem?

I'm 21 should I NEVER drink again after I get my sleeve? That is just a ridiculous way of thinking.

The fact that you can't Celebrate your 30th birthday without booze says more than anything else about you. You might want to get a handle on that before you hit 40 or you're gonna be a mess.

That's not really true. I plan on drinking for every birthday until I'm in my 80's. heck, my grandma would enjoy her wine well into her 90's

Everyone can make their own decisions about their own bodies. You have no right to tell anyone that they'll be messed up by their 40's for drinking.

This will sound kind of depressing: we are all going to die one day. Such is life. Why should we not live life to the fullest and take risks? There is always a chance that something will go wrong but you shouldn't be afraid and let fear dictate how you live your life. I would love to look back and know that I enjoyed life rather than be afraid to live every day.

^^^ really!? Wow some people on here are so rude! So because she wants to have a few drinks she has a huge problem?

I'm 21 should I NEVER drink again after I get my sleeve? That is just a ridiculous way of thinking.

I'm not speaking for Iggy, but I believe her comment was more based on the OP's statement "I couldn't make it through a milestone like that without". I took it as a bit of an exaggeration, but if taken literally it could definately indicate a problem.

Also, I know Iggy doesn't have a problem with controlled alchohol use. She has posted many times about loving her wine.

And I really don't understand why there are so many different boundaries with alcohol ! Some surgeons say 3 weeks ' date=' 1 month , 3 months , 1 year , never !!! Can't they all get on the same page !!! Or somewhere close within range of each other ... Jus sayin[/quote']

I think it may have to do with the surgeons own drinking pattern, lol. Can't believe you have gotten hate mail regarding this topic. We are human and for some of us drinking is part of our life and cutting it completely is not realistic, although It does hinder weight loss, it has for me and for the moment I've decided to stop for a month and compare. I think no one has the right to judge.

I'm not speaking for Iggy' date=' but I believe her comment was more based on the OP's statement "I couldn't make it through a milestone like that without". I took it as a bit of an exaggeration, but if taken literally it could definately indicate a problem.

Also, I know Iggy doesn't have a problem with controlled alchohol use. She has posted many times about loving her wine.[/quote']

I collect wine and I enjoy it a lot. I have zero issue with drinking in a controlled fashion. That said, if I had to go past a "milestone" without a drink, it would in no way impact my ability to enjoy the milestone! It's when you "have" to have a drink, that you need to reassess your relationship with alcohol. When you would need a drink two weeks out from surgery or during your preop if it's not allowed and so you drink cuz you feel you must, you again, need to look at your relationship with alcohol.

I live my life to its fullest. Probably more so than most because life has thrown me some curve balls and I know how precious it is, but I'm also very intelligent and I know when to say enough is enough. If you "have" to drink to have fun....you have had enough!

hey I don't care what anyone says... I use to go out with my friends all the time. we would drink and.have fun but ever since I became uncomfortable with myself I stopped going out and have become an old lady shut in. I feel like grade.school children need to write to Me hahaha... anyways my bday is July 28th.. that's almost exactly 5 months out. I will be drinking large quantities and having wild sex. its already planned that I will be drinking on my 32nd bday bc me and my sexy self will be celebrating.

Ok I know I haven't been very active since just after my surgery but I felt like I had to start helping those going into some thing that can change your future so much.

Now let me start by saying that at 6 months out was enjoying my drinks on occasion and when I was at Disney got a little buzzed on occasion, so I come at this probably sounding a bit like a hypocrite so I apologize.

lets start by looking at the health issues, you are only a month out of your surgery, you should still be soft foods and yes alcohol is a liquid but it is highly corrosive to the stomach and your stomach is still healing. It can take 8-10 weeks before your stomach is "healed" and more than 6 months before it begins to scar and be considered healed. So there is a health issue to drinking. Put aside the addiction aspect it can cause many issues.

I also want to address the fact that you say that you couldn't get past a milestone without drinking, I assume that this is a way that you have celebrated large milestones for most of your life, but one thing you have to keep in mind is that after a procedure like this it is a lifestyle change. You can't have a procedure like this and not change your life going forward. There needs to be a mindset change in the way you think about everything you are about to embark. I was a big foodie before my surgery and used to "enjoy" food well beyond a reasonable limit. But when i went to Disney I had to change the way I looked at food, it was a temptation to over eat and go to far but I know that I will not succeed if I don't make major changes.

For those that find people on here rude for trying to help keep in mind that people come on this forum to get help and insight into life before, during and after the surgery, these replies are just trying to help those that might read these posts. While drinking is OK there are cautions that need to be taken, and while it may be OK for some it could be dangerous for others.

I am sorry for my rant but it felt like it needed to be said.

I just want to say congrats on turning 30, and good for u for having a drink and enjoying yourself the way u wanted on ur birthday, dont listen to these debbie downers who want to b***h and bring u down. Your doing awesome!!!

Coming from a LOOOOOOONNNGGGG line of alcoholics I have always chosen to stay away from alcohol because I've seen the negative effects it has on people, their health and their family. I always turned to food because that felt safer to me (and look where it got me!) so I will basically echo what everyone else says, not because I want to be a "downer", but because I feel like it should be said.

Obviously you have an issue with knowing your "limit" or you never would've needed WLS to begin with and it is dangerous territory to substitute one addiction for another. That is why the amount of alcoholics among WLS is high-people with addictive personalities use one addiction to cope with the loss of another. It doesn't matter if you're escaping using Hostess or Bacardi-they both put you in a bad spot! You've already done so much damage to your body by overeating, you are finally blessed to have the surgery and basically be given a second chance at health and at a month out you feel good about filling your newly constructed stomach with alcohol like you got away with something?! You have an "I'll show them attitiude!" but haven't you already learned that it's YOUR body that suffers? I agree with what others are saying if it really is true that you couldn't make it through your 30th birthday without a drink there are bigger problems you should face. I'm all for drinking in moderation I just feel like those of us with food issues probably have a hard time with "moderation"!

I think we would be best served leaving our curbside psych consults to the professionals, that's why there is a multidisciplinary approach both pre and post sleeve.

I have had some wine post op (I am two months out), but have lost my gusto for it. I used to enjoy a nightly glass with dinner, and a few more on weekends out with my BF.

Since my sleeve, my tastes have changed and I don't enjoy it as much. I would not begrudge anyone from doing what they decide to do. That being said, we do have to be careful overindulging in anything to excess. That is what got us here in the first place. I am trying to be cognizant of that on a daily basis, whether it's carbs, chocolate or alcohol.

I agree, we can still do alcohol we just have to be careful about when and how we go about it. Personally, I have sworn if off for 18 months. I made a pact to myself to follow ALL my guidelines to the best that I can for 18 months, and then after that I told myself that I can loosen up but for once in my life, I need to take something seriously. But I know that's just me... I don't judge people who still have a drink here and there, as long as your not telling me your one or two weeks out of surgery trying to do that.

I think it may have to do with the surgeons own drinking pattern' date=' lol. Can't believe you have gotten hate mail regarding this topic. We are human and for some of us drinking is part of our life and cutting it completely is not realistic, although It does hinder weight loss, it has for me and for the moment I've decided to stop for a month and compare. I think no one has the right to judge.[/quote']

Well I guess you haven't read comments on my posts lol a couple wrong words and they will cut your head off !! This guy even MAde up a fake profile just to talk trash to me ! He got kicked off

Well I guess you haven't read comments on my posts lol a couple wrong words and they will cut your head off !! This guy even MAde up a fake profile just to talk trash to me ! He got kicked off

Yup, and he is back with another acct. but as long as he is respectful of other members he can stay. ;)

hey I don't care what anyone says... I use to go out with my friends all the time. we would drink and.have fun but ever since I became uncomfortable with myself I stopped going out and have become an old lady shut in. I feel like grade.school children need to write to Me hahaha... anyways my bday is July 28th.. that's almost exactly 5 months out. I will be drinking large quantities and having wild sex. its already planned that I will be drinking on my 32nd bday bc me and my sexy self will be celebrating.

Hahaha I love people like you !!! Truth speaking !! Love it